Status: working on it...

Roman.

Chapter 3: Acting Weird

He later found out that the jackass that bumped into him earlier was Ethan Hawkins, he was the usual high school bad boy. He had muscles that were out of this world, but he stayed away from any school sports event and his eyes were a piercing gray color. He was about 6'2", with a body similar to Chris Brown only with a tad bit more muscle and his smile was both malicious and enticing all at the same time. The reason that Roman knew all of this was because he had at least 4 classes with him.
Roman rolled his eyes and ignored him and the whispers around the room about him. All eyes were on him, even the teachers which freaked him out even more. During the first few minutes of every class he had to announce who he was and where he came from. He withheld the last bit of information, lied and said that he was home schooled back in Texas. His memories of his old life were fading rapidly and he was glad. He couldn't stand to think of the past.

The same routine was practiced in Sociology, Biology, Trigonometry, English IV, and Chemistry. Thankfully his credits at his old school made it possible for him to just have five classes. He was also thankful that within that first day that he wasn't assigned any homework.

Around lunch time, Roman entered the cafeteria and paid for his lunch just like everyone else. Today they were having cheeseburgers that looked more like an old piece of meat wedged between two pieces of cardboard, fries that resembled bricks, and milk that smelled like it was out-dated years ago.
He turned to face the cafeteria that was quickly filling up and he was confused as to where to sit. He made his way to a table in the back, but his path was altered when a brunette with a very cheerful voice stopped him,
"Hey there, you must be Roman? I'm Sutton Roberts, would you like to sit with us for lunch?"
He looked at her shocked and partially afraid that this was a prank, "What is this, the welcoming committee?" His tone came off as more sarcastic than he imagined it would, with a hurt look Sutton replied, "No, I just... saw you looking lost and wanted to make you feel welcome here."
Roman looked off for a second to see what table that she came from, and he saw a pair of gray eyes staring him down. Ethan. "Ya know, that's really sweet, but I think I'd much rather feel comfortable eating by myself for now..."
Her hurt look turned into something with more determination, "Its either you eat with us, or we'll eat with you."
Roman sighed and closed his eyes, "Fine... I'll eat with you." She almost jumped as the wide smile spread across her face. Taking ahold of his hand, Sutton lead him over to her table.
"Guys, this is Roman Deveruex. Roman, this is Hanna, Maya, and Ethan." They took a seat and Roman got a better look at the four at the table.
Sutton was around 5'8" with long brown hair that fell past her shoulders, her skin was tan despite the weather, and her smile was warm and welcoming. Hanna was a blonde that probably stood around 5'9" and had curves like a black girl, she had the most startling blues eyes that Roman had ever seen and in comparison to Sutton she was very pale.
Maya was a caramel color beauty with brown eyes that could melt into you like honey, she was about 5'6" making her the shortest of the group, but her smile made sure to show that she had plenty of attitude to make up for her lack of height.
Then came Ethan, he hadn't stopped looking at Roman since he sat down, then he finally spoke, "Look, Roman. I'm sorry for almost running you over earlier. That was rude of me." Roman nodded and took a fry in his hand, inspecting it before he took a bite, "It's fine. You must have been in a hurry and I wasn't paying attention to where I was going.
For the rest of the lunch period the five sat and talked about themselves so that they could each get a better feel for things. Turns out that Sutton was student body president, Hanna was a cheerleader, Maya was a technical nerd with an attitude, and Ethan was still very much of a mystery to Roman, but he did find out that he spent his afternoons working at the local library. The four of them seemed like they had very established roles in this school and in the town, so why would they pick him out of everybody else?

Later after the lunch bell sounded, Roman was exiting the restroom. He turned down the east hall and saw that it was almost completely deserted, besides the workers. He walked down the hall and his eyes landed on a half covered up picture with singed corners. Moving closer he realized that it was a student portrait containing everyone in the school from last year. Off in the corner he saw Sutton's bright smile and Hanna and Maya was standing on either side of her. Ethan was above her with his arm around someone and he was smiling like everything in the world was alright. The person next to him was covered by dust and a part of a spider web, but of what he could see they looked familiar.
He reached forward to knock the dust off of the picture,
"Hey! What are you doing! You're supposed to be in class."
Roman snatched away from the picture to see the assistant principal approaching, "Ooh, I'm sorry. This picture was just here and I saw some of my old friends..."
Vice Principal McWilliams pulled the sheet back over the portrait and his face twisted into a scowl at the picture, but then confusion and almost happiness when he realized who Roman was. "I'm sorry Mr. Deveruex, it is school policy for all students to be in class during school hours."
Roman nodded and hurried off to class.
Everyone in this school was acting so weird, but why?