‹ Prequel: Running With Lions

Marching On

Chapter 1

The stones groaned underneath the weight of the tires of Lavin's restored Mercedes, the view of William and Kate's Anglesey cottage in the windshield.

"We're here!" she exclaimed, throwing the vehicle into park.

She, along with her brothers, Gen and Peter had journeyed four hours from London to attend William and Kate's engagement party.

A very private engagement. No cameras. No ballgowns. No waving or standing for hours in uncomfortable heels. Lavin was free of royal duty tonight.

Lavin hopped out of the car in a cozy sweater dress that she paired with a belt and boots that hugged her feet rather than strangled them.

"You seem excited," Gen offered as they walked towards the front door.

"I am," Lavin replied, nearly bouncing as she walked.

"I think she's more eager to see a certain someone," Ben said, nudging her side with his elbow.

She shoved Ben. "I am equally thrilled to see Harry and celebrate Will and Kate's engagement."

"A very diplomatic answer from the Crown Princess of Denmark," Peter acknowledged with a snort, a smirk appearing briefly.

"Pop would be proud," Alex said cheerfully. He entered through the open front door and cried "Oy! You lot just leave the door open like this? Anyone could just bust in."

Harry was the first to approach, laughing. "Anyone did just bust in, mate." He took hold of Alex's hand and shook it. "Where have you been hiding?"

"They've been keeping me locked up in that damned school," Alex told him, "I'll be free of it come June." He surveyed the area. "Now just point me in the direction of the drinks. Four hours in the car has left my mouth dry."

"More like sour," Peter said as he shook Harry's hand. He had complained the entire way from London. Lavin knew that Gen's nerves were shot from listening to her brother the entire ride.

Harry pointed them in the direction of the kitchen. Gen followed closely behind in search of a glass of wine.

Harry and Ben clapped each other on the back comradely.

"Been playing polo?" Ben asked.

Harry shook his head. "Only a few times but I could kick your ass any day."

"What's that?" Ben said, cupping his hand around his ear. "Kick my ass? Last time we played you were on your ass."

"Alright, boys, enough," Lavin said, jumping in between them. "Look," she pointed towards the outside patio. "Is that Pippa?"

"Pippa?" Ben's head turned eagerly.

"Go. Shoo!" Lavin said pushing her brother further into the house.

Once Ben had gone off Lavin finally had Harry to herself. "I am never traveling with my family in a car for that long ever again."

Harry pouted his lip. "That bad?"

"Horrible!" she said through a smile. "But seeing what is waiting at the end made it all worth it."

"You mean me?" Harry asked, pointing to himself.

Lavin frowned, a sarcastic reply on her tongue. "No, actually, William. Where is that handsome man?"

"Unlucky for you," Harry said, wrapping his hand around Lavin's waist, bringing her closer to him. "My brother is no longer on the market."

"Oh yeah?" Lavin played on. "Didn't you know I'm very good at persuasion. Just one tiny conversation with me and I'll have that man wrapped around my finger."

"Persuasion, hm?" Harry grinned. "I guess you don't know how good I am either."

Harry kissed her.

Lavin pulled away. "You need to work on your skills, love."

"What?" Harry asked, dumbfounded.

Lavin wormed her way out of his arms and started for the outside patio where she could see Kate through the glass doors. Harry attempted to pull her back but she was took quick.

"Find me later," she called to him before slipping past a few guests that were making their way inside the cottage.

Lavin found Kate chatting with her sister. She yelled out her name and they embraced each other, exchanging two quick kisses on each cheek.

"Congratulations!" Lavin exclaimed. "You need to tell me how Will popped the question, but first, let me see that ring!"

Lavin was imagining the engagement ring. William must have picked something out that matched Kate's personality. Something simple, yet charming...perhaps a diamond. Or maybe he decided to go with her birthstone, a red garnet.

Kate held out her hand, palm down.

It was Diana's engagement ring, the giant sapphire nestled inside a circle of minute diamonds.

Something faltered inside Lavin but she kept the grand smile on her face as she cooed over it.

She took Kate's hand and let it sparkle in the November sun. "Brilliant," she commented. "This ring is absolutely beautiful. Such history behind it."

"I know," Kate said. "I was quite shocked that Will decided to give me his mother's ring. I mean, I never knew her. But, all the same, I hope I'll be able to make a difference just like Diana."

"Yes," Lavin nodded, releasing Kate's hand before she pulled the ring off her finger and made a run for it. "I believe you'll achieve great things in the future."

Lavin managed to make some conversation with Kate and Pippa before excusing herself. As she stepped back into the house she made a beeline for Gen who was sitting on one of the couches with Beatrice.

"Hello," Lavin interrupted. "How are you, Bee?" She waited for Harry's cousin to reply before asking to have a moment with Gen.

Lavin pulled Gen into the bathroom, locking the door behind them.

"What's wrong, Lav?" Gen asked. "You were fine twenty minutes ago."

"William gave Kate his mother's ring."

Gen gasped inaudibly. "No way!"

"Yes," Lavin nodded gravely, leaning against the granite sink.

"Didn't Harry promise you that ring?"

Lavin nodded again and then sighed. "I shouldn't be this upset. We're not even officially together yet. There have been no press statements. I can't expect marriage. I don't expect marriage, but..."

"A promise is a promise."

"Well yes and no," Lavin said. "That ring was the one thing Harry chose to keep after his mother passed away. Why would he give it to William to use? I could see him using it for his own children rather than handing it over to William."

Gen shrugged. "Maybe you should ask Harry."

"I will."

Lavin tried to keep her distance from Harry by chatting with any person she could find. She had a lengthy conversation with Beatrice and Eugenie, Lavin even became better acquainted with Pippa when she pryed Ben off her.

It was when Lavin was congratulating William that Harry snuck up on her. She nearly jumped out of her skin when she felt Harry's arm wrap around her shoulders.

"Not stealing my girlfriend, are you?" Harry asked cheekily, eying him suspiciously.

"You caught me," William held his hands up in surrender. "But take her, she's all yours. I have to go find Kate anyway."

"Enjoying the party?" Harry asked, passing her a generous glass of red wine.

"Thank you," she said, trying her best to sound normal. "Yeah, it's the best thing I've attended all week."

"All those royal duties can really get to a person," Harry murmured close to her ear.

She nodded without listening to his words and blurted the question she'd wanted to ask since she saw Kate's engagement ring. "Why is Kate wearing your mother's ring?"

They were staring at each other. Lavin watched Harry blink a few times, taking in her query. When he recovered, he wrapped his hand around hers and led her away to one of the guestrooms towards the back of the house.

Harry shut the door behind them and flicked on the light.

"Is that why you've been avoiding me the entire night?" he asked.

Lavin didn't answer as she stared out the window, her silence telling him what she wasn't. She brought the glass of wine up to her lips but did not drink.

"Say something, Lav. I need to understand why you're angry with me." Harry took a seat on the bed, the springs creaking under him. He reached out for her hand.

Lavin looked at him when his thumb passed softly over her skin. "Do you remember what you told me when we were younger? Long before I went to college and you went into the military?"

Harry sighed. "I promised you my mother's ring."

"I thought you forgot."

"No, but you remember our breakup, right?" Harry asked.

Lavin shrugged. "I wouldn't call it a break up."

"Lavin," Harry looked at her seriously. "It was a break up. We were in different countries. You started dating that American classmate of yours. And when I came home, Caroline came into the picture."

He pulled Lavin towards him, making her sit beside him. "You and I grew distant and I didn't think we'd ever be together again. William came to me three years ago about the ring, about proposing to Kate. I agreed then to give it to him, and if I knew we were--if I could have predicted the future--I wouldn't have done it."

Lavin rested her head on his shoulder. "I'm sorry," she said. "I shouldn't have been so upset about this, about a material object. But I still wonder why you would give the one thing you chose to keep to remember your mother to your brother for his girlfriend."

Harry didn't say anything for a long minute. Lavin leaned over and kissed his cheek, letting the silence remain.

"I don't think I would have been able to see another woman have it besides my mother or you, so I gave it to my brother for his family," Harry told her. "It made sense. But if and when we get married I promise you a great ring. Something that will be so uniquely yours."

Lavin kissed him. "I'm sorry for bringing this up. So very sorry." She kissed him again.

"Don't be, a promise is a promise." He told her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi guys! I'm happy to be back with the sequel of Running With Lions. Are you excited for what's next for Lavin and Harry? I certainly am!

Lemme hear your thoughts, and please if you love me give me constructive criticism.