‹ Prequel: Running With Lions

Marching On

Chapter 13

Lavin sat across from an old friend, leg bouncing as it sat on top of her thigh. She was continuously wrapping a strand of hair round and round her middle finger.

If her body language wasn't portraying her nerves, than it was her unpredictable stammering that would string words together.

A pleasantly harsh feeling knocked around in her stomach. Lavin had never felt butterflies like this before.

She wondered if it was the gin and tonic she'd been nursing or if it was her friend that was making her body disobey every meek command her brain was issuing.

Both, she decided.

Remembering what her grandmother said about playing with her hair, she stopped and instead wrapped her hands around the chilled glass in front of her.

"What a coincidence, huh?" her friend said, his eyes wide and smile pulled tight.

This provoked a smile from Lavin. Her ex-boyfriend, Tom Werth, was still floored that they ran into each other in a London club.

"I know," Lavin finally said, shaking her head in disbelief. "The stars must have aligned for us to run into each other. Especially on a Saturday night in a club full of people."

Tom shrugged. "Guess luck was on our side tonight."

Lavin could only bring herself to look at him for a few moments. Every time she looked into his face she couldn't help the feelings that rushed through her. She was reminded of their time at university together, their relationship, and how she was smitten with him.

"Why are you in London?" she asked.

"A convention for work," he told her. "Me and a few buddies are here from Boston."

"You're living in Boston!" she exclaimed and then began laughing. "What happened to the Tom I knew, the one who swore he would never leave New York City?"

"The pay is...great, Lav. I never thought I'd be paid this well for my ideas."

Tom told her how he had been hired by a publishing company headquartered in Boston. He owned a brownstone and lived alone except for a boxer named Brutus.

Lavin clung to the fact that Tom didn't have a girlfriend or a fiancé; and then she instantly hated herself. It shouldn't matter if he had a girlfriend or not, she had a boyfriend.

Harry was her boyfriend. But, she thought, for how long?

Lavin's thoughts darkened. She disliked that her brain was thinking about the horrible facts of her life. The conversation with her parents and grandparents came to the forefront of her mind then. Tom would be an idyllic prince consort. He was brilliant, creative, dedicated; and handsome to boot.

Her family would be pleased with Tom. They had been very fond of him while they were dating.

She pushed those thoughts back when she heard Tom ask her something. "What brings you to this place tonight?"

The club was overcrowded on this Saturday night. Many people were here celebrating. Some were celebrating birthdays, their biweekly paycheck but Lavin was here for a bachelorette party.

And she told him this.

"Who's getting married? Anyone from school?" Tom wondered.

Lavin shook her head. "Oh no, no one from school."

"Do I know her?" he asked.

Lavin cocked her head, pushing around the ice cubes in her drink. "I'm sure the name would be familiar to you." She paused for a few moments before reciting Kate's name.

"Kate Middleton!?" Tom burst.

Lavin snorted with mirth, surprised at his reaction.

"America is obsessed with that woman. The wedding is in two weeks isn't it?"

Lavin nodded and then scrunched her nose. "America is obsessed? Really?"

"It's bizarre, honestly. But they play specials on nearly every TV channel. There's been specials about Prince William and her relationship. They're calling it a real life fairytale."

"Really?" Lavin was becoming more intrigued by America's media by the second.

"Yeah. They have specials on her sister too. And Harry."

"Harry too?"

"Yep. You've been featured in quite a few of the Harry ones," Tom told her. "They tell me you two are back together. That's great to hear. Really amazing!"

Lavin was blown back in her seat. There wasn't a bitter undertone in Tom's voice. He seemed genuinely happy that she and Harry were back together.

This lessened her excitement about Tom. The butterflies slowed. Perhaps, this time around, they were only meant to be friends.

"So I'm assuming you're here with a group?"

"Yes. Kate, Pippa, Gen, and a few friends of Kate's."

"Gen is here?" Tom's eyebrows rose, sounding happy. He and Gen had always gotten along. Their friendship was much like her and Lavin's.

"Somewhere." Lavin surveyed around the club, waving her hand. There were too many bodies and the lights were too dim to really see anything.

But Gen appeared at the table, as if on cue, only seconds later.

"Well if it isn't Mr. Werth back from America."

She hugged him before pecking him once on each cheek.

"Amazing to see you, Gen," he said.

They quickly caught up with each other. Tom was retelling the reason as to why he was in London when an unknown man dressed in relaxed jeans and a button-up with its sleeves rolled to the elbows. His outfit was nearly identical to Tom's.

He quickly introduced himself as Ralph, extending his hand in a business-like fashion to both Lavin and Gen.

"What's up, Ralph?" Tom tipped his head up in question.

Ralph pointed a thumb towards the doors. "Dave got thrown out of the bar. He's wasted and he’s not looking so hot."

"And?" Tom knew what was coming.

"You should take him back to the hotel."

"Why can't you?"

"I'm working on a little something, man." Ralph discretely nodded his head towards the corner of the bar. Lavin, Gen, and Tom leaned to see a dark-haired girl in a sinfully short skirt.

"As you can see I am busy too."

"Two girls, dude. Maybe I should take him back. Then you could bring both of these beautiful women back to our place."

Tom mouth flattened. "Ralph, don't talk about my friends like that." He looked like he was about to continue but Gen held her finger up.

"I will excuse your rudeness as I am assuming you've been drinking. But do not let me ever let you speak to me or my cousin like that again. Or any woman for that matter." she said, ice thick on her tongue.

Ralph ignored her and stared at Tom, his eyes begging him to take their friend back to the hotel.

Tom waved his hand, dismissing Ralph. "Fine! I'll take Dave back. Go back to your business."

Tom sighed heavily when Ralph vanished. "He's a real pain in the ass when he's drunk. I'm sorry he spoke like that to you guys."

"Make sure you remind him of it tomorrow morning," Lavin said haughtily.

She felt hatred for Tom's friends. They were the reason their reunion was being cut short.

"I promise you," he said, before scooting out of the booth they were all seated in.

Lavin stood to say goodbye.

Tom took her in his arms, squeezing her tight. The butterflies were back, feeling like missiles at the pit of her stomach.

"It was really good to see you, Lav," he said in her ear.

"You too, Tom. We'll have to make sure to see each other before you head back."

Tom kissed her once on the temple before pulling back. "I'm free tomorrow afternoon. Does that work for you?"

"Yeah." Lavin was still recovering from his kiss.

They exchanged numbers and with another round of goodbyes Tom disappeared out the front door to rescue his drunk friend.

Lavin took a seat across from Gen who had her head resting on her hand. A coy smile was playing at her mouth.

"That kiss was sort of...friendly," she said.

"It was friendly because we're friends, Gen."

Gen stared at Lavin, grinning. Lavin stared back and then finally she exploded. "For Christ Sakes, Gen! What is it?'

"He kissed you tonight. You'll probably go to dinner with him tomorrow."

"And?"

"And you still need to tell Harry about the conversation you had with our grandparents and your parents."

Gen's smile fell from her face. She looked grim now.

Lavin almost thought Gen felt pity for her.

"Imagine how Harry will react when he finds out you've been hanging out with your old boyfriend and keeping this huge secret from him. You're just digging yourself deeper into a hole that you won't be able to climb out of so easily."

Lavin grabbed her clutch off the table, knowing that Gen was absolutely right. "I'm going home. Tell Kate I didn't feel well."

On the streets, Lavin was able to think better. It was then she realized--much to her dismay--that Gen was just being honest with her.

Lavin knew she needed time to figure out what she wanted to do with her life. But between her royal duties and the upcoming wedding when would she find the time?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the confusion, if any. I absolutely hated the old Chapter 13 and had to rewrite it. I planned on getting it out by the end of the week but I've written it quicker than I thought I would.

Let me know what you think of the new one!

Again, sorry for the lack of updates. Working sucks :/