‹ Prequel: Running With Lions

Marching On

Chapter 16

Tom stared across the waxed wooden table at Harry, spinning the extra black straw from his gin and tonic between his fingers. Admittedly, Tom regretted agreeing to Lavin's invitation to dinner mainly because Harry decided to come along with her. The dinner had been filled with nothing but awkward silences, steely glances, and subtle hints at Harry's claim over Lavin.

Tom was half-reminded of a rooster fluffing his feathers--or more accurately, a peacock spreading his tail in competition.

It was Harry who chose the restaurant and he'd chosen the most expensive one in all of London.

Lavin spoke, making Tom avert his gaze from Harry.

"I'm sorry we caught you on your last night here, Tom," she said politely, sounding timid and looking tense. "It's been a very hectic week for all of us."

Tom nodded, agreeing. "I know how it is. I've had meetings every day since I've been here."

Harry nodded too. Tom could almost hear him saying: Yeah, but not the day you ran into my girlfriend at the bar; but instead said something about packing for his expedition.

Tom slid his straw back into his drink, stirring it once. "Where is it you're going again?"

"It's an expedition to the North Pole for a charity called Walking with the Wounded," Harry answered and then gave a brief background on the charity and those involved.

What Tom heard was: I'm sacrificing my princely ass to parade around with a new charity, throw money at them, gain them publicity, and feel better about myself in the process.

Tom felt himself wishing frostbite upon Harry but shook himself. Play nice, Werth, he scolded.

"That sounds like a great experience. Will you go alone or will your safety staff be coming with you?"

Lavin seemed to shrink away from the conversation then. Tom remembered a conversation she had with Tom shortly after Harry and her broke up all those years ago. It was about how Harry hated being followed constantly by bodyguards. Bringing it up would only be a bitter topic, something Tom enjoyed doing.

"I think my father will force me to bring at least one along. You never know with my family though; seeing as I am essential to the future of his country...and who knows, perhaps, another country one day." Harry's tone softened at this point, smiling down at Lavin.

Tom smirked inwardly, knowing full-well Harry was hinting at marriage.

Lavin's smile came a moment later but it never truly reached her eyes--something Harry didn't notice because he looked away too soon to see Tom's reaction.

Curious, Tom thought.
____

Harry's heart swelled when he verbally hinted at marriage in front of Tom. But as much as he meant it to be a dig at Tom he found himself truly warmed at the idea of marrying Lavin.

His mood seemed to brighten with these thoughts swimming about in his head. Harry placed his hand over Lavin's which she had resting on the table in plain view.

You can't do that anymore, Mr. Executive, Harry thought triumphantly.

Conversations flitted to different topics: Will's wedding: upcoming books at Tom's publishing company, stories of Lavin's family. She tiptoed around the subject of her father, answering generically as to how he was; Harry's ego grew even from this. Tom may have had those several months with Lavin but he would never know her personally anymore.

Harry caught Tom checking his watch. It was a Cartier and this year's model too.

"Are we keeping you too long?" Lavin said, sounding apologetic.

Tom grimaced at the watch's face before looking at her.
"Unfortunately. I have to be up for the 6AM flight."

Harry noted that Tom's face became brighter anytime he looked at Lavin; and a smile always remained in his eyes even when his mouth betrayed them.

He knew this look, he even felt it himself when he looked at his girlfriend.

Tom was in love with Lavin.

Tom picked up the check that was hidden in a small rectangular leather book.

"I'll get this one, and you guys can get it next time?" he offered with a friendly smirk.

It was the first thing either man said that didn't contain benign malice or utter jealously.

Lavin immediately snatched it from him. "You will not!"

"No," he said. "I insist."

He held a silver credit card in the air; their waiter was at their table in an instant taking the card and the check in one and retreating.

Lavin crossed her arms and sunk into the back of the chair. "I can't believe you sometimes."

She frowned.

"Don't worry, Lav," Tom said, laughing a little. "I'll let you handle the tip. I've heard you tip like royalty." He laughed again causing Lavin to laugh in return.

Harry scowled. The inside joke between the past couple felt like a pin being stuck into his inflated ego.

Once the arguing had finished, the check was signed, and both Lavin and Harry contributed to the tip all three found themselves on the sidewalk saying their goodbyes.

Harry stood back once he shook Tom's hand in one of his happiest farewells to date. He watched Lavin as she lunged at Tom's neck, pulling him into a hug.

Tom was modest and kept his arms well above her waist.

Lavin kissed him on the cheek and despite it being a common goodbye of hers it still felt like a sucker punch into Harry's gut.

She allowed her hand to linger on Tom's shoulder. "You'll keep in touch, won't you, Tom?"

"Of course, Lav, definitely," Tom told her, nodding his head.

When Lavin returned to Harry's side he turned to Harry "Nice seeing you again."

"Same, mate."
___

Lavin waited until Tom was safely in a cab when she shot Harry a cold look.

"I can't believe how you acted tonight, Harry."

"Me?!" he exclaimed, pointing at himself.

"Who else?" Lavin asked incredulously, holding out her arms. "If I knew this dinner was going to be full of you two one-upping each other I would never have invited you along."

Harry's nostrils flared and Lavin was sure that his cheeks tinged red. "I acted like any other man would act when his girlfriend insists on having dinner with her ex-boyfriend!"

Lavin inhaled ready to spit off her counter.

Harry continued before she could. "And, if I may, a man who you chose over me while I was away serving my country."

Lavin's mouth fell open, eyes wide in shock and before she knew it she was swiping tears away from her cheeks. Lavin felt guilty enough for deserting Harry but to throw it in her face was too much.

The black SUV that dropped them off pulled up alongside of the road. The man sitting in the passenger's seat slid out and swiftly opened the rear door.

Harry waited for Lavin to move towards the car.

"Well, are you getting in?" he asked stonily, gesturing toward the open door.

"I'm not going anywhere with you. I'll take a cab," she told him, turning from him and walking into the street to flag a cab.

Lavin continued to rid her face of the tears as soon as they fell from her eyes. She was furious with Harry, with his actions, with his words. She heard Harry's leather shoes tapping on the pavement making their way towards her.

"Get out of the street and in the car," Harry said, taking her hand and pulling her from the street reluctantly. "You'll cause a scene and we both don't need this in the papers."

Lavin couldn't argue with Harry on this and hurried into the SUV, refusing the hand offered by Harry's bodyguard.

Harry climbed in after her but they sat nowhere near each other.
Lavin looked away from him, keeping her gaze locked on the street in front of them but she could feel his stare.

"What?" she asked sharply, turning her head to look at him. She held her mouth in a tight line and her arms crossed over her chest.

"You have nothing to say for yourself, do you?" he asked, nearly laughing in disbelief.

"What can I say, Harry? What I did was despicable and I regret it every day. I have no excuses to make for it nor will I do so like I've done before."
__

Harry was satisfied with her answer and as much as he wanted to smugly tell her that she deserved to feel this way he couldn't bring himself to do it.

He rested his elbows on his knees and steepled his forefingers together, bouncing them against his dry mouth. He was looking at Lavin but she kept her eyes locked on the passing buildings.

"Maybe..." he started quietly, feeling bad for making her cry and feeling glad that he finally hurt her in some way.

"Maybe we should take a break from each other," Lavin said with a catch in her throat. "Our relationship clearly has this one major flaw in it."

"Take a break..." Harry muttered. It was his turn for his eyes to go wide. His heart felt desperate. This was not his goal when he picked this fight.

"Yes, Harry. A break."

"No, Lavin. I don't want that."

"Then what do you want?" Lavin asked.

Harry dragged his hands down his face and then looked Lavin directly in the eye. "I want you. I've always wanted you. Even when I was in Afghanistan I only thought of you. And, right now, I want you to understand how hard it is for me to see you interact with the man that was there for you when I couldn't be."

Harry moved to the row of seats Lavin was seated in and took her hand.

"I'm jealous of him, Lavin. I get nervous when you're around him.
I don't like knowing there is another man out there that loves you like I do."

Lavin sniffled and nodded her head. "I know this feeling, Harry." She was unable to make eye contact. Harry knew it would only start a new wave of tears if she did.

"Anytime I saw you with Caroline I felt this way. I was jealous of her in every way and acted in ways I am not proud of."

Harry remained silent and held her hand as they continued on to her Kensington apartment. Lavin was stiff sniffling and wiping at her face.

"I'm sorry for yelling," he told her.

He watched Lavin nod and then he felt her squeeze his hand. Soon her head rested on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry too," she said.

"Can I stay over tonight?"

Harry smiled when she felt Lavin nod against him.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, what did ya think!?