‹ Prequel: Running With Lions

Marching On

Chapter 19

Temperance was taking mid-morning tea with Lucy on the patio that overlooked the spacious gardens of Fredensborg Palace. Lake Esrum was sparkling beneath the spring's unusually warm rays.

There was a sense of wholeness around the grounds; all her children where back home. Alex was at school, nearly finished with his last year. Lavin was at the family stables with Ben helping him prepare for his upcoming polo match.

"You have color on your cheeks, Tempy," Lucy commented cheerfully, spooning a lump of sugar into the peach-colored tea.

Temperance smiled, looking at her mother-in-law. "Having the children at home always puts me in a better mood."

Lucy chuckled. "I agree, but I don't think that's just it."

She nodded. "Fred seems to be feeling better these days and Lavin's attitude towards us has improved greatly."

"Yes." Lucy nodded. "That was quite the little headache."

Past and present queen turned their heads at the sound of chatter that was ascending the stairs. Soon Lavin and Ben came into view. They were dressed in identical riding outfits and playfully pushing each other as they traveled towards them.

Temperance's smile widened. It was so lovely to see Lavin happy again, teasing her brother.

"Hello!" Both Lavin and Ben yelled out, waving, as they reached the top of the stone patio.

"Hello!" Both Temperance and Lucy said, waving back.

Lavin and Ben took the extra seats at the table. Ben began helping himself to a cup of steaming hot tea while Lavin reclined back in the chair looking exhausted.

"You two are filthy!" Temperance exclaimed, eyeing their white polos that were spotted with mud.

"Martha is going to have a hell of a time getting those grass stains out," Lucy said before taking a long sip from her decorative porcelain teacup.

"Grass stains?" Temperance asked, alarmed. From her position she could see that Lavin had a big streak across her back. "Did you fall off your horse!?"

Lavin made eye contact with Ben before answering.

"Maybe."

"Maybe?" Temperance asked.

"Yes, maybe."

"Fine," Temperance tutted. "Just take more care next time." Then she swatted Ben with her cloth napkin. "How dare you let your sister fall off her horse!?"

"Hey!" Ben exclaimed, his hands up in defense. "I didn't make her fall off her horse."

"It wasn't that bad of a fall. Just knocked the wind out of me," Lavin mentioned, shrugging, as she poured herself a cup of tea.

Temperance shook her head in objection. "You can't jeopardize your health, Lavin."

Lavin shot a warning look at her mother.

"I think you should sign up for the charity match that's coming up against Will and Harry's team," Lucy offered.

Ben sat up straighter in his chair. "Really, Gran? I've been telling her to do that for weeks!"

His excitement was clear to everyone. Temperance knew that Lavin was a skilled polo player it was just difficult to watch her daughter play such a dangerous sport.

Lavin turned her gaze from Temperance and smiled at Lucy.

"You know what, Grandma," Lavin said, smiling. "I think I will."

Temperance desperately wanted to change the topic. "How was the wedding?" she asked.

"Wild," Ben simply said. "That Pippa is going to drive me to an early grave."

Lavin erupted into laughter. "'Drive me to any early grave'!? You only got one dance with her and the rest of the time she was off with her friends."

Ben glared at her. "At least I wasn't in the corners doing unmentionable things to my boyfriend."

Lavin's face became stony. So had Temperance's and Lucy's.

Been looked around awkwardly, taking in both Temperance and Lucy's face. "Sorry, Lav," he muttered into his teacup.

Silence clouded around the table.

Temperance had felt horrible for her daughter when they had to break the news to her that she could no longer be with Harry. She knew it was unfair. She wanted her daughter to be able to marry the man of her dreams just like she had when she married Fred.

"You're still with Harry?" Lucy asked evenly.

"Yes," Lavin replied, never taking her eyes off her brother.

Temperance turned her attention to the napkin that was draped over her legs. She ran her fingers over it, smoothing out every crease.

She was preparing herself to be cold and aloof to the topic of Harry just as Fred and Sebastian instructed. With one last small breath she shut off her heart.

Her eyes were back on Lavin.

"He wants to get married," Lavin said flatly. "He told me last night."

Temperance laughed dismissively. "I would think nothing of it, dear. Emotions tend to soar at weddings. Besides I think it's time to let Harry know what will happen if your father does not make it through-"

"Dad said he's feeling better!" Lavin objected.

"Despite the increase in your father's health his doctors haven't said he is definitely in remission," Lucy answered brusquely. "Until then this family has to be prepared for the worst."

Temperance grabbed Lavin's hand when she looked like she wasn't breathing. "Better tell him now before he does propose."

So much for cold and aloof.

"Either way," Lavin said, sounding and looking totally defeated. "I'll be breaking his heart."

With that Lavin retracted her hand from Temperance's and left the table. Ben quickly hurried after her.
___

"Lavin," Ben said, catching up to Lavin. "I'm sorry. I completely forgot that entire...thing."

"It's fine, Ben," Lavin told him, brushing away the tears that had begun to fall.

She was sick of crying.

"Do you really have to end things with Harry?" he asked.

"I'll see what happens when I tell him; but, in the end, I no longer see another way."
♠ ♠ ♠
HI! So I've been on a writing spree, I have Chapter 20 almost finished but I'm going to wait a bit to get it out. I want it absolutely perfect.

Also, I had a recent silent reader come out and comment. It was super amazing. So for all of you being being quiet please voice your opinion--good or bad, constructive or brief. I want to hear what you have to say. It is always amazing for a writer to hear from her readers. It's what makes us want to continue writing, it's what makes us feel like we've done something that people appreciate, and it is also something that is just a really nice thing to read.

Hope you enjoyed it!