‹ Prequel: Running With Lions

Marching On

Chapter 21

Harry's arms were no longer around Lavin, but around himself. He was freezing when his eyes--sore and dreadfully heavy--finally opened.

There was a sinking feeling that Lavin had left him here and he quickly lifted himself out of the armchair. He made it to the hallway when he heard quiet music coming from Lavin's bedroom.

He felt slightly better.

"Hello?" he said, voice nearly gone.

He walked sheepishly into the bedroom.

"Hi," was all Lavin said.

He took a seat at the end of her bed.

Harry watched her as she arranged and then rearranged a colorful scarf around her neck. As he looked around to remember every small nuance of her Kensington bedroom, the only place she'd ever been able to decorate herself, he saw a small suitcase waiting near her closet.

"Leaving already?" he asked.

"Mhm," she answered, slipping her feet into a pair of pink flats.

She still wore the sweater and leggings from yesterday but she'd washed her face and applied makeup to distract from her puffy eyes.

"Will I see you again?" he asked, tugging at each finger.

"At the charity match between your team and my brother's," she told him, sweeping her hair into a low ponytail.

Harry chewed his bottom lip, feeling inadequate and ignored. "Why are you acting like nothing happened?"

She turned to face him. “I don't see the point in dragging this out."

"This is complete shit!" Harry exclaimed, his shallow voice rasping. "We're ending our relationship over a bloody tradition!"

Lavin inhaled deeply and exhaled very slowly. "What would you have me do?

He pulled at his hair. "Change the tradition? Go against it. I don't know, Lavin. I would do anything to keep us together!"

"Please, let’s not fight," she said, her voice barely audible. "Not now."

"That's the thing, Lav," Harry said, disheartened. "When are you going to fight? I seem to be the only one."

Lavin shook her head offensively. "If you only knew--"

"Knew what?"

She crossed her arms over her chest, her eyes unwavering. "I threatened to abdicate, Harry."

"Y-you what?" Harry asked, stunned.

"Yes." There was a satisfied grimace on her face. "How's that for fighting? That's the nuclear bomb of royal warfare. I told my parents, my grandparents, and even the bloody prime minister that I would rather renounce my title than give you up."

"You can't," He said, starting slowly. The shock of her confession was taking its time to wear off. "I would never let you do that."

"No one would let me do it," she told him. "I couldn't do that to my family, especially not to Ben."

Harry nodded slowly.

His heart swelled and broke at the same time. Lavin loved him enough to give up the very thing she was made to do but he knew even that meant nothing in their world.

They would have to break up.

Harry stared at his feet, unable to think of what to say to her. Nothing would make anything better.

"The car is waiting outside..." Lavin trailed awkwardly.

"So, this is it, isn't it?" Harry asked.

Lavin nodded, eyes glistening with tears.

It took only a few steps for Harry to reach Lavin. He kissed her with such fervor that he heard Lavin gasp just before their lips connected.

Nothing would ever be the same after this.

A honk came from outside and they jumped apart.

"Sorry," Lavin said, "I have to go."

She pulled away from his arms, picked up her suitcase and left the bedroom.

He could hear the soles of her shoes tapping against the hardwood floor. She'd just left him there in the middle of her bedroom.

Then the tapping grew louder, faster.

"Harry!" she exclaimed breathless, bursting back into the room.

Lavin jumped into Harry's arms, wrapping her arms and legs around him. Harry quickly secured his arms around her waist.

She kissed him again and again, crying the entire time.

"I'm so sorry, Harry," she said, pressing her damp cheek to his. "There's never going to be a day that I stop loving you. Remember that, please."

"I know, Lavin. I will."

"Just promise me we'll stay friends."

Lavin sounded desperate.

"Of course, Lav. You'll always be in my life."

"Okay," she said as she flashed him a smile.

Harry set her down and with one last kiss Lavin left the bedroom again. Everything in his body hoped that she would come running back in again.

His ears flattened against his head, straining to hear the pattern of her footsteps but the last thing he heard was the front door open and close.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello again!

I want to thank the ones that commented again, they were all amazing and thoughtful comments (charlotte_marie, carnegie-carnival, Penguins11).

To the silent readers, I know I have more than a few, please let me hear your voice!

Hope you liked it :]