‹ Prequel: Running With Lions

Marching On

Chapter 3

Christmas Eve Morning

The morning sun streaked through the windows of the large kitchen in Amalienborg Palace. The air was warm and filled with the smells of melted chocolate and gingersnaps.

Lavin surveyed the expansive counters and all the cookies that covered them: gingerbread men, macadamia nut, brunekagers, and -- Peter's favorite -- kliener. She placed her hands on her hips and whispered to herself, "We have entirely too many cookies."

And there was still a batch of red velvet finishing in the oven and Ben and Alex were just about done with the chocolate chip.

"How are you two getting along with -- HEY!" she said, startling them. Lavin caught them red-handedly sneaking the tiny chocolate chips for themselves. Ben instantly dropped the few chips he held in his hand while Alex narrowed his eyes at her and popped his handful into his mouth.

"What?" Ben asked, sounding harassed.

"Those go into the dough, not your stomachs," she scolded and then couldn't help but laugh at the look on Ben's face. "Please, just mix them in."

"Aye, captain," Alex replied, unceremoniously dumping the entirety of the bag in at once.

Lavin went to the ovens to retrieve the red velvet, a smirk lingering. There were times that she loathed being a royal but come the holidays she always seemed to sing a different tune.

As she carefully removed each cookie from the sheet she heard the oven door open and close again. The chocolate chip cookies were baking at last.

"The gingerbread men are cool enough to start decorating," Ben told them.

Lavin, Ben, and Alex sat on stools as they drew silly faces on the tiny men below them. They discussed Christmas's past and then Lavin asked if either of them noticed their father's cough.

Ben shook his head but Alex nodded. "We were riding the grounds two days ago -- you know, on that really warm day -- and all of sudden he just went into the fit. Nearly went blue by the time he was done."

"Did he sound like he had a stuffy nose? Congested at all?" Lavin asked.

"No," Alex told her as he placed a finished man aside.

Lavin snorted. "I knew that was no cold."

"Then what do you think it is? Bronchitis?" Alex queried.

Lavin shrugged. "Not sure, but we'll tell him to get checked out after the holidays. That way there's no negative thoughts wondering about."

Ben and Alex nodded, very seriously focused on keeping a steady hand with the icing tube.

___

Christmas Eve Afternoon

Lavin turned her wrist over to check the almost discernable watch that was clasped around it.

Quarter to four. The bells of the Marble Church would be ringing soon and even sooner would Gen and Peter be arriving with their parents.

She tapped her heels against the marble to the beat of Jingle Bells and started to whistle. And as she entertained herself she saw the light green dome of the Church in the distance and coming into view were the cars of Peter and Uncle Rodger.

Lavin writhed with excitement when the cars stopped one after the other in front of the entryway.

Gen launched herself out of the car and into Lavin's arms.

"Hello!" she squealed, squeezing Lavin even tighter. "I've missed you."

"You too," Lavin managed to get out from beneath Gen's grasp. Once she was released Lavin asked cheekily, "Did you get me anything good this year?"

Gen scoffed. "Is that all I'm good for?"

Peter interrupted. "If not that, then nothing at all." He bumped his sister aside to greet Lavin. "But Mother does have a surprise for you."

Gen gasped, elbowing her brother harshly. "You were not supposed to tell her that. She'll probably be able to guess now."

Lavin shrugged. "I am clueless."

"Good," Gen nodded affirmatively and went back to the car to retrieve her luggage.

Once Evelyn and Rodger exchanged greetings with Lavin they all helped carry in luggage and a tall stack of presents.

It was when they passed from the foyer and started the stairs that Peter asked if they made any klieners.

"Yes," Lavin said with a smile.

Peter fist pumped triumphantly.

___

Christmas Eve Evening

Lavin and the rest of her young relatives were gathered around the bottom of the wide carpeted staircase listening to Uncle Grant recount a tale of four beautiful Brazilian women he happened to meet on a recent trip to Buenos Aires.

Behind them Lucy was keeping a steadying arm wrapped around Sebastian's bicep while he stored his cane around his forearm and gripped the railing tight.

"I don't think the children want to hear about your nightly escapades with random women, Grant," Lucy scolded with a light heart. She knew Grant to always be more interested in females than anything else; and, being in his forties she knew he was not going to change.

"I do!" Ben and Peter exclaimed. Alex raised his hand but said nothing.

Sebastian, with the help of his cane, was able to sustain his own weight once they reached the bottom.

"Thank you," he said softly, kissing Lucy on the temple.

"Anytime, dear."

Lucy turned to her grandchildren and her youngest son. "Everyone into the library. Time for presents!"

Lucy watched all five of her grandchildren bound into the library while Grant sauntered in behind them, leaving Lucy and Sebastian to walk in last.

The library was illuminated by the large fireplace and the gigantic Christmas tree decorated luxuriously with white lights and pearlescent red glass balls. The smell of wood and cigar smoke filled the air as Fredrick and Rodger reclined into the plush armchairs nearest the evergreen.

The gifts were stacked all around, piled high and wrapped in a rainbow of holiday-themed paper.

Temperance and Evelyn took seats next to their husbands, while Lucy and Sebastian settled for the loveseat and Grant, along with the grandchildren, sat on the floor. They formed a circle, all fidgeting with excitement.

"Youngest first!" Temperance said, grabbing a box from the very top.

"That means me!" Sebastian jested. Lucy lovingly tapped him on his thigh, smirking.

"Yes, actually," Temperance blinked once she reread the tag on the box. "Sorry, pumpkin," she muttered to Alex who looked absolutely aghast.

Ben mashed his lips together to contain his laughter and nudged Alex in the side a few times.

Alex ignored his brother and keenly watched Sebastian as he inspected the gift. It was small but when he shook the box it rattled.

Sebastian read the little tag. "From Freddie." He looked over at his eldest and smiled.

"Go ahead, tear it open." Fredrick was grinning.

The former king peeled the wrapping paper off the box showed a picture of little stones shaped like cubes.

Sebastian began to laugh, slapping his leg.

"Because you love your whiskey on the rocks," Fredrick said, sounding like a child who had performed a task well.

"Thank you, Fred! I'll use them as soon as I can!"

Evelyn picked out another gift from the pile and presented it to her daughter. It was circular in shape and adorned with a gigantic bow in the colors of Africa's flag.

"From Lav," Gen read aloud and then furiously untied the bow. She popped off the lid and took out the hat that sat nestled on top of layers of thin velvet.

She placed the hat atop her head and turned to Lavin, smiling. "How do I look?"

"Like you're ready to beat the heat in Africa," Lavin replied and then gestured towards the box. "Keep digging."

Gen picked up the pieces of velvet and underneath she found a leather-bound journal that had ties to seal it shut.

"To write your adventures!" Lavin explained.

"Thank you, Lavin," Gen said sincerely.

Ben and Alex were gifted new saddles for their ponies, each were equally ecstatic. Temperance and Evelyn received earrings from their husbands; Lucy, a lovely pair of kitten heels designed for her by Evelyn; Peter, a leather briefcase with his initials carved into it; Fredrick and Rodger, new rifles for hunting; Grant, a funny electronic black book that could keep up to one thousand names and numbers.

“The last one is for Lavinia,” Temperance said.

The box was a plain brown decorated with a red lace bow. Lavin recognized this box; it was the one Evelyn had carried in.

She glanced at her aunt to see an eager look in her eye. She eased the delicate bow off the box and lifted the top.

Lavin’s mouth fell open, she couldn’t believe what she was looking at.

“I knew it!” Peter cried. “I knew she’d be speechless.”

“This isn’t?” Lavin said, looking from Gen to Evelyn. “This isn’t...?”

“It is, dear,” Evelyn reassured her. “This is the dress you’ve drew for me.”

“It came out fantastic,” Lavin said, holding it up. The fabric was watery and smooth under between her fingers. She could not wait to wear it; unfortunately, it was not appropriate enough for church tomorrow.

___

Christmas Eve Night

The children had gone upstairs but not before raiding the wine cellar, Temperance was sure. The adults had stayed in the library as had been tradition since she married into the family.

She sat beside Evelyn sipping tea from the holiday china set, Lucy was in a chair across from them. The men had decided to take a stroll around the grounds, as it was an unusually warm night for December.

“Temp, do you think Lavin and Harry are going to go public with their relationship soon?” Evelyn asked, dropping a lump of sugar into her steaming tea.

Temperance shrugged. “We haven’t talked about that. We’ve all been busy with our own things. But I do think she is planning on surprising Harry at Sandringham tomorrow after church.”

“Was she invited?” Lucy asked.

“No,” Temperance said to her mother-in-law. “But she did get permission from Elizabeth.”

“Good, good,” Lucy nodded into her cup.

“The cat will be out of the bag then, won’t it?” Evelyn said.

“Probably,” Temperance answered. “But I think they can both handle what will come of it. I expect everyone wants them to be together. What did the magazines say back then? ‘Unrequited love?’”

“Do you think this is it for them? Is marriage next?” Evelyn asked.

“Lavin has never mentioned marriage to me before or now. I doubt that is at the forefront of her mind.”

“They’ll have to wait a long time before they can be married, if they decide to go that path,” Lucy spoke. Both women turned their heads to listen, eyes keenly on the older woman. “Harry is in line for his own throne as is Lavinia.

“They can’t be married if they are both set to rule.”

“But, Mama, Harry is third in line. Once William marries Kate and they have children Harry will be farther down in line.”

Temperance sighed. This was a complication she had certainly not thought about.

Lucy laughed knowingly. “Yes, this is true but young people these days drag their feet when it comes to having children. And it isn’t until that child is accompanied by a spare that Lavin and Harry can even think about tying the knot.

“And as lovely a man as Harry is Denmark will not like to have an unmarried queen.”

“You’re not suggesting we discourage Lavin from Harry if William and Kate fail to have children or take their time? Temperance said aghast.

“Not just yet,” Lucy told her, swirling the spoon around the translucent liquid. “But in due time.”

“How dreadful our rules are,” Evelyn commented and Temperance could only nod and stare into her cup of tea her mind clouded with many thoughts.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh boy, I think this may be the longest chapter I've written. I hope you like it, leave something behind in the comments. I wouldn't mind reading some.