‹ Prequel: Running With Lions

Marching On

Chapter 36

“The car is here for you, Ma’am.”

Lavin turned her head in the direction of the butler’s voice. “Yes,” she said, “thank you, Richard.”

“Already,” Harry groaned, his head resting on Lavin’s lap. He wrapped his arms around her waist. “You’re not allowed to leave.”

She stroked his head, laughing lightly. “I don’t want to, trust me.”

“Then just stay here,” Harry whispered in a conspiratorial way. “We’ll make up some story, like; Heathrow is closed for the week due to a pilot strike.”

Lavin laughed, running her hands down his arms, unclasping his hands from her body. “If you ever need to change occupations I suggest stand-up comedian.”

She pushed Harry off her lap and stood. Idly, she brushed the lint from her jeans and slid into her flats. Lavin turned to find Harry burrowed into the back of the couch, his lip jutted out in a pout.

“Will you be a gentleman and walk me to the car?” Lavin asked.

“If I must,” Harry said begrudgingly.

Lavin offered him a smile as he stood from the couch.
“We’ll see each other soon, Harry,” she told him, wrapping his arm around his back, his arm instinctively curled around her shoulders and they began to make their way out of Clarence House.
Harry’s hold was possessive as was her own. They did not want to leave each other, especially so soon with their relationship so freshly mended.

They stepped outside, their footsteps in sync, and they froze in place at the top of the entranceway, the idling car in front of them.

Harry pulled her into a hug, squeezing her as close to him as he could. Lavin squeezed too, rubbing his back.

“Let me come with you,” he said. Her ear tingled from the hot air.

She shook her head. “I want you too, but I need to handle this on my own.”

Harry pulled away from the hug and nodded. “I know you do,” he said and then kissed her. “Your family will be happy to have you back.”

Her nose wrinkled. “I hope so.”

He laughed, taking her hand. “Come on,” he said, leading her to the car.

The black SUV idled beside them, the driver and Lavin’s security waiting inside. Lavin and Harry stood awkwardly in silence, smiling at each other and then looking away from each other.

“I’ll call you when I land,” Lavin said finally.

Harry nodded. “Okay.”

“I’ll call you every day.”

“Okay!” Harry grinned, opening the backdoor. “Get in before you miss your flight.”

Lavin climbed in, but Harry’s hand held onto the open door. “One more,” she said, leaning out of the car, connecting their mouths.

“I’ll miss you,” he said.

“Miss you already,” she said.

“I love you,” Harry said, holding on her head as he kissed her once more.

Lavin muttered her love between flurries of kisses before a loud cough came from the front of the car.

“We need to go, Ma’am.” It was Essie, sitting in the passenger seat.

“Sorry,” Lavin mumbled quickly, falling into a bout of giggles with Harry. “Okay, I got to go, Harry.”

“Okay.” Harry backed away from the door, letting Lavin slide fully into the car.

He shut the door.

Lavin rolled the window down, extending her hand through the opening. Harry grabbed it and kissed it.

“Goodbye, love,” he said once more as the car began to roll forward.

Lavin smiled, pulling away into the car, but Harry’s grip was firm. “Harry, you must let go.”

“No,” he shouted defiantly, keeping pace with the moving vehicle.

“Harry!” Lavin exclaimed, but seeing the playful expression on Harry made her laugh. Her heart was beating wildly with love.

Lavin stuck her head out the window, hair blowing in the wind. They were almost at Clarence’s gate, Harry would have to let go then.

His grip had not loosened.

“You’re a crazy man.”

“I am,” he shouted boldly.

The car was at the gate and suddenly Lavin’s hand felt cold and insubstantial. Harry had let go and was waving as the car made its way down the avenue.

Lavin waved back.

His hands cupped around his mouth and Lavin heard his voice boom, “I love you!”

“Forever!” she called back.

“Forever!” he echoed.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was going to be a longer chapter, but that'll be for 37 :]