‹ Prequel: Running With Lions

Marching On

Chapter 7

Lavin was overwhelmed when she saw the yacht. While the boat was not as huge as her family’s yacht, the Dannebrog, it was magically decorated with lights. She could see the dark shadowy figures of people waltzing around to the music which lingered across the water. A tremendous excitement rose up from her stomach, making her squeeze Harry’s arm.

“Louis and Andrew really outdid themselves!” she whispered to Harry as they began up the gangway.

He smiled. “They promised it would be something to remember.”

“Is that William? And Kate?” Gen wondered, pointing to a couple leaning against the railing with drinks in their hands.

“Does that mean Pippa is here?” Ben asked eagerly. He didn’t wait for an answer before pursuing William and Kate, for only they would be able to give him an answer on Pippa’s whereabouts.

The rest of them made their way to the couple. Lavin noticed that Ben looked crestfallen by their answer but she chummily patted him on the back, instructing him to cheer up.

“I’m going to go find Andrew,” he announced before he began weaving through party-goers.

Kate shrugged, a small smile biting at the corners of her rouged mouth. “I’m sorry,” she told Lavin. “Pippa is spending tonight with her boyfriend.”

Lavin waved it off. “I never worry about Ben, you shouldn’t either.”

“I think I’ll go look for a drink,” Peter said, asking anyone if they’d want to come. All but Harry and William agreed.

“Are you sure?” Lavin asked, eying Harry.

Harry nodded. “I need to ask William something quickly and then I’ll find you.”

“Okay, well, do you want anything from the bar?” she asked.

“No thanks, I’ll get it myself,” Harry said as he took her in his arms and kissed her. The kiss sent her back to her bedroom not even an hour ago. “I’ll see you in a bit, Lav.”

It was when Harry and William were out of ear shot that Kate pulled Lavin close. “Has Harry been acting odd tonight?” She quickly turned her head to peek back and her fiance and Harry.

Lavin shook her head, with a smirk. “Nothing out of the ordinary.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. Why? Is something wrong?” Lavin asked.

“William…he’s just being more touchy feely than normal.”

“Hmm.” Lavin just shrugged. “That is odd.”

_____

Harry stepped around his brother, hands behind his back and a smug look on his face. He already knew that William was not doing as well on the bet as he.

“So-o-o-o,” Harry said, “How’s it going for you?”

William gave an exaggerated side. “Terrible, if you must know. And you?”

“Nearly had her knickers off before we left the apartment.” Harry answered.

William shoulders dropped in defeat. Harry couldn’t help himself. He laughed.

“I don’t feel like I’m being myself. I may be coming on a bit strong.”

Harry laughed harder. “I told you that you weren’t good at this romance stuff, and forcing it is definitely not going to help you here.”

“Have you given her the earrings?” Harry asked.

William shook his head. “I haven’t found the right time.”

“Okay, although I shouldn’t be helping you—but seeing as I’m going to win this hands down—I have a word of advice.” Harry placed his hand on William’s shoulder. “Just be yourself.”

William pushed Harry’s hand away. “Yeah,” he said doubtfully. “I’ll let you know how that goes.”

“Lets go find our girls.” Harry turned back to smile at William as he began to walk toward the bar.

_____

Lavin’s hand was warm inside of Harry’s as they moved around in a small circle to a beat of a song they did not know. Her head was resting against Harry’s shoulder and she couldn’t resist smiling.

“Are you having a good time?” Harry asked.

“I am,” she said as she lifted her head away. “But your brother and Kate seem to very uncomfortable with each other tonight.” She nodded her head in their direction, they were also dancing.

Lavin positioned them so Harry could see. Lavin was even more confused when Harry laughed.

“What is it?” she asked.

“Can I tell you a secret?”

“Is it good?”

“I’ll let you be the judge,” Harry said. He then told her about the bet he had between him and his brother.

Lavin considered Harry’s story. At first she thought she might be mad about it, thinking that what happened in the bedroom was staged; but then, she was just as responsible for that happening as he was.

“Did William actually think he was going to win?” Lavin asked, stifling a laugh.

Harry nodded. “Yeah, he did.”

Lavin openly laughed. “William doesn’t have a romantic bone in his body!”

“I know. And because of that and the bet, William now has to wash my polo pony for a week.” Harry told her.

“Wow,” Lavin said, “Those were the stakes?—Hold on…those people are taking pictures of us.”

Harry gave a quick glance over his shoulder. Lavin wasn’t surprised when he turned around with a huge grin on his face. “I bet you anything that our faces will be on the covers of every magazine tomorrow.”

“That’s a bet I’ll surely lose.”

“Should we be compliant and give them a show?”

“A show?” Lavin was able to ask before Harry crashed his lips in hers, yanking her closer to him. Lavin could see the flashes exploding of people’s phones and cameras from behind her eyelids. She was sure, as Harry seemed to be, that England and the rest of the world would know that they were back together in a few hours.

“IT’S ALMOST MIDNIGHT!” It was Louis, Harry’s friend from Eton who yelled somewhere far behind them.

“Seriously?” Lavin said, when Harry finally ended the kiss.

“Time does fly when you’re having fun,” Harry said, wrapping his arm around Lavin’s shoulders as they approached the bar. They were instantly handed two glasses of champagne.

Lavin nudged him with her elbow. “More like when you’re causing trouble.”

“TEN!” The yacht roared as everyone joined in on the countdown.

“NINE!”

“EIGHT!”

“SEVEN!” Lavin joined in.

“SIX!” Now Harry.

“FIVE”

“FOUR”

“THREE”

“TWO”

“ONE!”

There were instant explosions, and the Thames was alive with fireworks. Lavin heard the explosions, glasses clinking together, people wishing others good tidings, and she looked at Harry with the fireworks reflecting in his eyes.

“Happy New Year, Harry.” she said as she leaned into him, wrapping her fingers in his red hair. This time is was she who kissed him.

“And, Lav?” Harry said.

“Yes, Harry?” she said.

“I cannot wait to cause trouble with you.” And with that, Harry pulled her into another kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
Have to re-upload Chapter 7, 8, and 9.