Toes

The Story

Toes are a strange thing aren't they? I've always thought so. What was the point of those little gaps at the ends of our feet? We couldn't be sure, but we could try to make use of them. Babies, incredulous, stare at their toes that they can now voluntarily wiggle.

Then there's you, with your toes touching mine, your smile playing tricks while your fingers play with my toes.

The summer's air is warm on our skin that is freshly tanned from the scorching sun above our heads. Sometimes it looks so close that you could reach out and touch it if you just stood on the very tips of your toes. Unlike yesterday, when your eyes were so far away that they couldn’t possibly still be on Earth, today, you’re here with me, the smell of wild daisies and fresh love in the air. Drops of moisture cover the grass on which we lay.

You whisper my name, and suddenly, I’ve fallen in love with the word, but only when it emerged from your lips did I realize its beauty. My eyes meet yours and you smile genuinely at me.

I close my eyes, feeling the lovely day around me with every sense except sight. Birds chirp their jovial afternoon songs, leaving me humming their unforgettable tunes.

Tulips and summer flowers enlighten the world with their endearing scent. It reminded me of the time he gave me my first rose. The way he had pushed his hair back with slick gel in an attempt to impress me. We were only 7. With a guffaw in his face, I shoved the red petals back at him, closing the big front door behind me.

All around me, I can feel the summer’s day. The heat in the air, the moisture, the blanket underneath me, and even the grass underneath it. Then I feel him: his lips on my calf, my ankle, my toes…

Finally, I taste heat and—him. He’s what I taste. Surprise fills me, but I don’t mind much. I’ve never kissed anyone, I think, and my cheeks go red. It was the smallest touch of lips, but the sweetest taste. My fingers touch my mouth, and when I open my eyes, he’s grinning at me. His tan face is perfect. His curly black hair fell only to his eyebrows, and just below were two of the most beautiful eyes I had ever seen. Like two dark almonds, they burned into mine as if they could see into my soul.
Muscles that were farm-made and sturdy gripped me firmly into an embrace that I never wanted to end. Of course, though, soon, too soon, his arms released me, and he was on his feet, extending an arm out towards me. I took his calloused hand and we danced in the small green field. His pick-up truck sat untouched a few feet away, as if it were waiting on us. The trees nearby clawed upward into the sky as I rested my head on his broad shoulder. He smelled of nature and a natural sweet scent.

We danced until we were flying. There were no clouds in this love we flew through, only one sweet, tender kiss, and so much beloved history. It seemed unreal, like a dream, but here in the field, we were each other’s alone. Our first kiss filled me with joy. I wanted one more, so I took his face in my hands and pressed my lips to his.

Let me say to you, it was better than the first, and since, each has been shockingly similar.