Status: In the process of writing

Endlessly

05

It was unfortunately Monday again and Nicole reluctantly dragged herself out of bed. The other girls were still sleeping as per usual and Nicole was able to slip away silently down to breakfast. During breakfast Nicole received a letter back. He stated how it was good that things were going well for her at school and all. That he was proud of her doing so well. He especially congratulated her on making friends. As far as how he was doing and what was going on at home, not a word. It made Nicole worry as she quickly tucked the letter into a pocket.

Arithmancy was quickly over with as Nicole struggled to make sense of her numbers and the predictions. And as she made her way to double potions she fell into step beside Harry, Ron, and Hermione. “Hello Hermione, Ron, Harry,” she said with a simple nod of acknowledgement. Each said ‘hello’ to her but their expressions all remained a bit somber. “Is everything alright?” Nicole asked picking up on their mood.

“It’s Umbridge,” Harry said angrily. “She’s become ‘High Inquisitor’ of Hogwarts.”

“She doesn’t even teach us. I don’t know how they expect her to be able to judge the professors properly,” Hermione complained. If her arms weren’t laden with books she would have thrown them into the air.

“You would only be concerned with your classes,” Ron remarked to Hermione. “How about the fact that she’s just a horrible woman?”

“I never said she wasn’t,” Hermione defended herself angrily. “I was simply stating a more logical reason for her not be High Inquisitor.”

“Logically she is a horrible woman,” countered Ron. Harry ignored them seeming lost in his own thoughts. Falling in to step beside him, Nicole and Harry let Ron and Hermione lead the way towards potions.

“Are they always like this?” Nicole asked Harry looking at the two of them a tad concerned.

“Yeah,” said Harry distractedly. Nicole bit her lip before asking her question.

“What’s on your mind?”

“Nothing,” said Harry looking at her a bit startled. “Just dreading Snape.”

“I heard we get our essays back today,” Nicole said.

“We do?” Hermione asked seeming to forget about whatever she and Ron were arguing about.

“That’s what I’ve heard,” Nicole shrugged.

“Oh, I hope I did well,” fretted Hermione.

“You’ll have done brilliantly,” said Ron. “Just like always.” Everyone could hear the slight bitterness in his tone as they arrived at the potions room. Filing in the trio took their seats together and Nicole went to sit beside Daphne. When she sat down Daphne threw her an unsure look before forcing her head back to Snape at the desk.

Just as she placed her stuff on the floor Snape stood up with the moonstone essays in his hands. Going on the room he handed them back to each person without really looking at them. Hesitantly Nicole picked up the essay and looked at the grade. Scrawled in the upper corner was a large E.

“I have awarded you the grades you would have received if you presented this work in your O.W.L,” said Snape with a smirk, as he swept among them, passing back their homework. “This should give you a realistic idea of what to expect in your examination.” Snape reached the front of the class and turned on his heel to face them.

“The general standard of this homework was abysmal. Most of you would have failed had this been your examination. I expect to see a great deal more effort for this week’s essay on the various varieties of venom antidotes, or I shall have to start handing out detentions to those dunces who get D’s.”

He smirked as Malfoy sniggered and said in a carrying whisper, “Some people got D’s? Ha!” Everyone put away their essays as Snape began to go on about today’s potion, Strengthening Solution. The class was silent as it worked, as per usual. By the end of class Nicole’s potion was a nice clear turquoise shade. Delivering a flask to Snape, she picked up her books and exited the class. Going to lunch, she sat down in her usual spot on the bench and chose one of the sandwiches that littered the table.

Soon after Malfoy and his gang of followers came in and sat down. As Nicole took another bite of her sandwich Pansy Parkinson came up and sat down across from her with a stony expression. Sitting down beside her were Mellicent and Tracey. “Can I help you?” Nicole asked curiously. None of the girls seemed happy and Nicole shifted uncomfortably underneath their gaze.

“I want you to stop whatever you’re trying,” Pansy said simply.

“Excuse me?” Nicole asked even more confused. She fidgeted uneasily in her seat.

“I heard you came into the common room late with Draco,” Pansy said, raising an eyebrow like she was asking for Nicole to challenge it.

“Pansy, nothing is going on with Draco and me. That’s preposterous.” Nicole struggled to keep the blush off her cheeks. She knew it would only make her look guilty when in fact it was simply because she was being accused of such an act that she was embarrassed.

“Then why did Blaise say that both of you were acting strange, huh?” Pansy said, her voicing going a bit louder.

“I couldn’t tell you, but nothing is going on,” Nicole said quickly hoping that Pansy would calm down and leave the conversation alone. “I swear to you.”

“It better not be,” Pansy said still obviously a bit distressed. She made an effort in straightening her uniform to perfection. “Otherwise you’ll regret it.” She threw in a threatening look and with that she got up and left, going to sit down by Draco. Millicent and Tracey followed closely behind. Nicole placed what little bit of sandwich she had left on her plate and decided she’d get a head start to History of Magic.

Image
Tuesday morning Nicole was seated, eating breakfast when she saw Harry walk in. Ron and Hermione were already seated and his way straight to them. But before he had a chance to sit down Angelina descended upon him and began yelling. Nicole didn’t even have to try to listen to hear that Harry had received another week of detentions and Angelina was obviously furious.

Professor McGonagall quickly interrupted them though looking rather stern. After talking to both of them and leaving them to settle down, Angelina stormed off while Harry threw himself into a seat next to Ron. The morning activities seemed to be over and Nicole never received a chance to talk to Harry.

Image
It wasn’t until Care of Magical Creatures that she was able to catch up with them after lunch. Malfoy and his gang were behind them as they walked down the lawns towards the forest. As they approached they saw that Professor Umbridge was there with her clipboard beside Professor Grubbly-Plank. Everyone’s face wrinkled in distaste at the sight of the woman. “Have you guys had an inspection yet?” Nicole asked them.

“Yeah,” Harry replied glumly.

“How bad is it?” wondered Nicole.

“She interrupts the lesson and asks a lot of questions,” Hermione said sounding just as deflated as Harry. In fact the whole trio’s mood had immediately deflated. Silently they arrived at the trestle table where the group of captive bowtruckles were scrabbling around for wood lice like so many living twigs.

“You do not usually take this class, is that correct?” Professor Umbridge.

“Quite correct,” said Professor Grubbly-Plank, hands behind her back and bouncing on the balls of her feet. “I am a substitute teacher standing in for Professor Hagrid.”

“Hmm,” said Professor Umbridge, dropping her voice, though she could still be heard quite clearly. “I wonder — the headmaster seems strangely reluctant to give me any information on the matter — can you tell me what is causing Professor Hagrid’s very extended leave of absence?” Malfoy looked up eagerly, watching the two teachers closely.

“’Fraid I can’t,” said Professor Grubbly-Plank breezily. “Don’t know anything more about it than you do. Got an owl from Dumbledore, would I like a couple of weeks teaching work, accepted — that’s as much as I know. Well…shall I get started then?”

“Yes, Please do,” said Professor Umbridge, scribbling upon her clipboard. Umbrdge wandered among the students during class, questioning them on magical creatures. Most people were able to answer well and it seemed like Hagrid had actually done a good job teaching them.

“Overall,” said Professor Umbridge, returning to Professor Gubbly-Plank’s side after a lengthy interrogation of Dean Thomas, “how do you, as a temporary member of staff — an objective outsider, I suppose you might say — how do you find Hogwarts? Do you feel you receive enough support from the school management?”

“Oh, yes, Dumbledore’s excellent,” said Professor Grubbly-Plank heartily. “No, I’m very happy with the way things are run, very happy indeed.”

Looking politely incredulous, Umbridge made a tiny note on her clipboard and went on, “And what are you planning to cover with this class this year — assuming, of course, that Professor Hagrid does not return?”

“Oh, I’ll take them through the creatures that most often come up on O.W.L.,” said Professor Grubbly-Plank. “Not much left to do — they’ve studied unicorns and nifflers, I thought we’d cover porlocks and kneazles, make sure they can recognize crups and knarls, you know…”

“Well, you seem to know what you’re doing at any rate,” said Professor Umbridge, making a very obvious tick on her clipboard. She next turned to Goyle and asked, “Now, I hear there have been injuries in this class?” Goyle gave a stupid grin. Malfoy hastened to answer the question.

“That was me,” he said. “I was slashed by a hippogriff.”

“A hippogriff?” said Professor Umbridge, now scribbling frantically.

“Only because he was too stupid to listen to what Hagrid told him to do,” said Harry angrily. Everyone watched as Professor Umbridge turned her head slowly in Harry’s direction.

“Another night’s detention, I think,” she said softly. “Well, thank you very much, Professor Grubbly-Plank, I think that’s all I need here. You will be receiving the results of your inspection within ten days.”

“Jolly good,” said Professor Grubbly-Plank, and Professor Umbridge set off back across the lawn to the castle. Soon after the class was dismissed and put their bowtruckles back on the main table.

“You need to watch your temper around her, Harry,” Nicole said as they made their way towards the castle. Hermione and Ron both held their breath as Harry’s face turned sour.

“And just let Malfoy make Hagrid look like a bad teacher, I suppose?” he asked rhetorically.

“No, but Dumbledore will make sure to look after Hagrid. Harry, the woman clearly has it out for you and quite possibly could give you detention for your shoes being untied one day. Just don’t give her a reason to punish you. It’ll only satisfy her.”

“Thanks for the advice,” said Harry still obviously upset.

“Right,” Nicole said and once they reached the castle she took off in the direction of her next class.

Image
Nicole spent the rest of the day hiding out in the library. She was having an increasingly difficult time focusing on her homework, something she found quite bothersome. Her thoughts kept circling around Harry. Maybe she was being too pushy. It was a possibility since she was practically a sworn enemy.

It wasn’t until quite late that Nicole finally finished the essay she was working on. Throwing her books into her bag she glanced at the time. She squeaked slightly in surprise and worry as the time showed only a few minutes before midnight. She was definitely late for curfew.

Hurrying out of the library she tried to be as quiet as possible as she crept down the corridors. Tip-toeing across the floor, she froze when she heard footsteps coming her way up the staircases. She glanced around frantically in hopes that she could detect a quick hiding spot but unfortunately that section of corridor held nothing but stone.

Just then the person stepped into the light of a torch and she saw that it was Harry. Nicole wasn’t sure if she was lucky or cursed in case she made a fool of herself again. “Hello, Harry,” Nicole said just above a whisper.

Harry glanced up quickly from the floor. He hadn’t seemed concerned about avoiding anyone. Raising his hand in a greeting, it was too late before he hid his hand behind his back. Nicole had spotted the cloth that was wrapped around the middle and the red stain on the back. “What happened?” she asked concerned.

Harry brought out his hand, finding no use in hiding it anymore. “Nothing,” he said although Nicole could detect the anger underneath his casual tone. Moving forward, Nicole reached out and took his hand.

“Do you mind?” she asked, looking up at him although she had already begun to peel it off.

“No,” Harry said, looking at her oddly. Unwrapping it fully, Nicole had to pat away the tiny rivulets of blood that kept appearing before she realized what she was looking at.

“Harry, what is this?” Nicole asked, highly concerned. Staring at the words I must not tell lies, she felt an almost panic run through her. The wound was deep if it still kept bleeding. Harry snatched his hand back and slowly Nicole handed him the makeshift bandage.

It wasn’t until Harry had it wrapped up again that he looked up at Nicole and decided to answer her. “It’s Umbridge,” he said, deciding to tell her the truth. “I have to write lines with her special quill.” The anger was palpable as he spoke.

“You should tell Dumbledore,” Nicole reasoned. “She can’t be allowed to do this.” But Harry was already shaking his head as she spoke.

“I can’t,” he said. “With Umbridge even being here, who knows how much power Dumbledore has anymore. How soon before he’d get thrown out?”

“They can’t do that,” Nicole said, distressed. The thought of Hogwarts without Dumbledore was preposterous. It simply just did not exist. She couldn’t even imagine him leaving the school’s confines even during the summer months. Reasonably, she knew it must occur but, it was silly to picture.

“Please don’t say anything,” Harry asked her. His eyes searched her face worriedly.

“I won’t,” Nicole said hesitantly. “But, Harry, please be careful. What I said before… I mean it. You need to watch yourself.” Nicole only received a curt nod in response. Leaning forward, Nicole placed her arms around Harry’s neck in an awkward hug. Before he could return the hug, Nicole pulled away. “Sorry,” she said, her cheeks blushing.

“Don’t be,” Harry said, surprising her and himself. “Er, goodnight,” he said.

“Bye,” Nicole said before hurrying away. Harry’s footsteps retreated in the other direction. Nicole didn’t slow her pace at all though. She was going to get in trouble if someone caught her out of the common room. She descended the stairs and turned towards the wall to the Slytherin common room. She was just about to utter the password when a drawl that was getting all too familiar reached her ears.

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I haven't updated in forever. Just haven't been in the mood to write lately. I actually also start school Monday as well. Not looking forward to that. Summer can't be over already. And yes, this is still a Draco story. We'll get to him in a little bit ;) Thanks for reading, lovelies!