East Avenue

6

“You’re a freak.”

“Margaret, move.”

She wasn’t flawless all the time, I’ve discovered. When she wasn’t talking at me, and I could get a chance to genuinely look at her, it made me nervous. Our friendship has always been complicated, more so because it’s never been a friendship. A mutual connection, with Joey being the only thing that’s ever tied us together in any way. She cared too much, she thought I didn’t care enough. Sometimes she was right, I can give her that. I have the tendency to take advantage of Joey because he’s perfect, and he’s there. I don’t need to worry because I know he always will be. And Margaret doesn’t understand that, if I didn’t know any better I’d sense jealously but perhaps she’s incapable of complex emotions. Seemingly she’s scared to be capable. She doesn’t like that she’s readable, and I love that it bothers her. With her, it’s a different game.

And she was winning.

“Come on, fuck. Please move. I can’t-”

“Can’t what, handle it when someone ugly is this close to you?”

I didn’t answer.

“You’re a freak,” she repeated, same tone, same curl of the lip. “I don’t think you understand no one’s ever going to care about you the way he does. Think about it.”

I shut my eyes for a moment, leaned my head against the back of the wall. “You enjoy making things complicated.”

We stared at each other once more, she looked so small.