Element of Fire

Oil

Brock took me back inside and led me to a room that looked like a dinning room. Along one wall was a tapestry that showed six children. Each held something in their hands, a stone, a flame, a drop of water, the sun, the wind, and a shadow. I stood staring at it for a few minutes then Brock shook me and I followed him over to a table. I sat down in one of the chairs, until he made me switch to a different one.
"Stop stalling and tell me already." I nearly shouted.
"It's not something I can just tell you." he looked away uncomfortable, then sighed and stared at his clasped hands.
"A long time ago when this world was first created as a haven for the magical creatures and those with magical powers. Some humans who wanted to start anew were allowed to come as well, although they were made to forget everything about the world that you come from. The creator was a strong sorceress, and when she finished creating this world she made six protectors to guard it. Six warriors who could use the elements to protect the people of this world."
He paused and glanced up and met my unconvinced gaze.
"You expect me to really believe this? It sounds like something out of a fairy tale." I said staring at him with continued disbelief.
"Maybe that's what it is to you, but to us it's our life and our history."
The sincerity in his voice made me swallow my doubts and continue to listen.
"When the sorceress made the warriors she asked them each to give a gift to the people to let them now they would always be protected. The warrior of water, looked at the people and create a spring to fill all the rivers and oceans. The warrior of earth, looked at the dwarves and created the mountains for their homes. The warrior of wind, saw the dragons and griffins and created a land for them in the sky. The warrior of light, watched the entire world and created the sun so there would always be light. The warrior of darkness also saw everyone, but gave them the night so they could rest. And finally the warrior of fire."
He looked at me as he spoke, and for some reason I felt compelled to touch the stone that hung around my neck.
"The warrior of fire?" I asked although I don't know why.
"Yes, she was the most powerful of all the warriors. And when she looked down upon the new world before her she saw that it lacked one thing."
"What?"
"Warmth. So she walked to the very center of the world and drew from inside of herself a flame. Taking it she blew on it four times, then set it down. It stayed in the air where she had placed it and warmed the hearts of all who looked upon it. It became known as the "Heart Fire". The sorceress looked upon the gifts that her warriors had given and was satisfied. And so the warriors protected the world for as long as they lived."
"You mean they're not around anymore?" I asked completely immersed in the story.
"It's not as simple as that. the sorceress promised they would always protect this world, so each time a warrior falls a new one is born. However 50 years ago a clan of creatures so dark and evil they were never seen before, swept across the land and killed every last warrior. And they continued to kill the reincarnations over and over, leaving this world unprotected. Then the warrior of fire was reborn. Even as a baby she was still so powerful, the people of this world new this was a sign the others would soon be born. So when the time came they handed over all the warriors to two guardians to protect them until they could grow into their power. This worked for a few years, then one night the creatures found the warriors and attacked. Their guardians fought well, but soon they died and the haven that had been the warriors home was sent ablaze. All the warriors were evacuated except for one. The warrior of fire was nowhere to be found. She couldn't be hurt by the flames, but even when they were extinguished she was nowhere. It wasn't until years later they found out what happened to her, she had crossed over to the other world. So when the others were trained well enough that they could cross over as well, they sent the warrior of earth to retrieve their sister."
He stopped speaking and his eyes passed over me. Understanding filled me and I lept to my feet knocking over the chair I'd been sitting in.
"No there's no way! I am not some magical warrior! I'm just a high school student!" I screamed covering my ears.
"Sya. You are the warrior of fire, all the proof is there hanging around your neck."
I glanced down at the stone on my necklace. It was the only thing I'd had when they'd found me. The only thing that I knew connected me with my real family.
"Only the warrior of fire could posses that stone and not be burned up by it's flame."
I glared at him, then placed a hand over the stone. It felt warm under my touch.
"So what, that doesn't mean you can just kidnap me and bring me to this place. I don't care if this world is in danger. It's not my world, so take me back home NOW!" I screamed.
He stared at me, the only thing I could read in his eyes was disappointment.
"The only way for you to go back is with the help of another warrior, even with your power you can't simply cast the spell. And besides," he walked over and past me, " No one is going to help you go back. This world is your home no matter what you say. And as long as it's in danger you can't leave."
With that he opened the door and left.