Element of Fire

Lamps

When I woke up I could tell right away that it was morning, from the light that spilled through the window. Sitting up I noticed that someone had bandaged my hand while I was asleep. Nervously I looked over to the spot where the pillar had stood, but there was no marks that indicated it had ever been there. Standing up I saw the hem of my shirt was scorched, and so were my pants. Lucky for me someone had put out some clothes for me. Walking over I picked them up and saw they were the same clothes I'd seen everyone wearing before, except mine were red.
The shirt was dark red that had flowers and a strange pattern done up along the sides in a lighter red. And the pants were the same red except they had gold lace along the bottom, they were the strangest clothes I'd ever seen, and yet I felt as I slipped them on, that I'd worn them a thousand times already. When they were on completely I looked into the mirror that was along a wall, and saw that they made me look like a completely different person. Walking over I touched the mirror and the person in the mirror reached out and touched it to.
"Who are you? Are you the warrior of fire, or me?" I whispered to my reflection.
The girl in the mirror didn't answer, soon my hand dropped from the mirror and rested at my side. I was just about to put on my other clothes, scorched or not, when Risa burst into the room, carrying a tray of food.
"Oh good you're awake! Wow those clothes look good on you, I knew they would!" she exclaimed coming into the room.
The tray she was carrying, wobbled slightly and I reached out and steadied it before the entire thing fell onto the floor.
"Thanks, sorry I almost spilled your breakfast. Hurry and eat Walter wants to see you in the training room after your done." she breathed.
"The training room?" i asked quizzically turning what looked like a bun over in my hand.
"Yeah, we decided last night that you need to control your powers. That burst you gave off last night would've let the creatures know where we were, if Walter hadn't thrown up a shield when you got here."
I put down the bun and looked at my hands.
"I'm sorry I put everyone in danger."
"No worries, I'll see you later when it's time for your lesson with me, Remember the training room is the second door down the stairs." She said before getting up and leaving.
I sat there for a few seconds then picked up the bun and shoved it into my mouth. It was filled with a meat of some sort, and when I was finished chewing I stood up and walked down the hall leaving the rest of my breakfast behind. Walking silently I looked around, it was strange, I'd never seen this place before but I new where everything was. The bathrooms, the kitchen, the training hall. I shivered again and continued walking until I stopped in front of the doors that led to the training hall. I stopped with my hand raised towards the doors, I felt like I shouldn't be there.
"If you try and leave I will make sure you get no food for three days." A voice said from behind the doors.
I jumped and was just about to run away when the doors opened to reveal Walter. He studied me for a second then grabbed my still outstretched hand and pulled me into the room. It took me a moment to realize anything was going on before he grabbed my hands and water rushed over them. I was about to scream when he let go of my hands and covered my mouth.
"Stay quiet, the water is only so your flames won't get out of control while we're mediating. Now sit down so we can begin." he said demonstrating it himself.
I was about to say something when he threw me a look, I let out a breath and sat down across from him.
"To start clear your mind of any interfering thoughts, when that is done let yourself sink into the source of your power. When you are able to accomplish this your power will no longer get away from you. Now breathe with me."
He closed his eyes and started breathing deeply, after a few moments I followed his example and closed my eyes. Clearing my mind was easy, keeping it clear was the hard part. It was like my body was trying to get me not to focus, an itch here, an itch there. But i kept at it, for a few minutes.
"This is useless! I don't get it at all!" I yelled standing up.
My hands began to burn, but the water stayed where it was. Finally I stormed out of the room.