Element of Fire

Candles

I raced through the lit halls, and didn't stop until I was outside in the garden and sitting behind a bush where no one could see me. My hands wouldn't stop shaking as I tried over and over again to turn the water that was covering them into steam. After a few minutes I gave up trying and hugged my knees to my chest and rested my head on the top. I closed my eyes and thought about how I'd just run away. It used to happen a lot when I was little. If I didn't get something right away, or I couldn't do it I ran away and hid until my mom came and found me. My mom.
Thinking those words made tears well up in my eyes. It hadn't even been a day, but I couldn't think about her like that anymore. To me she was still my mom, but Angela's words sprang into my head and for a brief second the image I had of her was one of a stranger. A sense of guilt made me shake the image from my head and look up at the sky. It was a clear day, and clouds were gently running across the blue surface. If it weren't for the fact that a dragon flew over head, it would've been almost like I was still home, getting ready for school or sitting outside during gym waiting for my turn.
A slight breeze swept across the garden and I sat back enjoying it. A few seconds later the water melted off my hands and seeped into the ground below me. I stared at my hands in wonder they were a slight red.
"Did I do that?" I whispered out loud.
"No, that was Walter I convinced him to release the spell he put on you. Other wise how would you get through my lesson alive?" Arthur said from where he was standing.
I looked up and met his gaze, then proceeded to try and run away. I didn't even make it three inches before his winds wrapped around me making so that I couldn't move.
"Come along now, we have a lot to get through if you want to survive." he said walking ahead of me his head down and his eyes closed.
I had no choice but to follow. He dragged me back to the training room, but when we went inside it looked nothing like it did before. The walls were covered with weapons and the floor had been replaced with concrete. as we passed through the doors i saw what looked like blood stains along one wall.
"Uh, what happened to the room. It looks different?" I asked nervously.
"We can change the room to suit our needs." He replied without looking at me.
When the doors closed behind us he made a motion with his hand and the winds dropped me on the floor. I quickly got to my feet, but not quick enough to dodge the sword that came slicing through the air. It cut my cheek but I didn't have time to worry about that because three knives flew through the air next aimed at my heart, throat, and stomach. I managed to get away from those, but six more followed. Finally I ducked behind a rock wall to escape being injured anymore.
"ARE YOU INSANE!!" I screamed from behind the wall.
"If you're to learn weaponry then you can't keep dodging. Pick up a weapon and fight back or else you're going to get seriously hurt." He replied instead of answering my question.
"YOU ARE INSANE!!" I shouted as I ran for the axe that almost dropped on my head.
"Stop running and fight back."
I glanced at him and saw he was standing in the very center of the room calm as a cucumber. I glanced around the room at the weapons that hung every where but nothing seemed as if it would help me. I dodged another set of knives and spotted a sword that had a curved blade. Rushing over I grabbed the handle and sliced through the air at the swords that was flying at me. There was a splash of sparks and the swords fell uselessly to the ground. I stood there breathing heavily, then sliced again and again as more weapons leaped off the walls and attacked me. This last for two more hours, and when it was over I had so many cuts and bruises it would have been impossible to count them all. Arthur just sighed and headed for the door.
"That's all for today, but you will be here tomorrow or else. Your next lesson is with Risa by the way." he said before leaving.
I stared after him for a few minutes then collapsed on the floor. I sat there for a few minutes then came to one conclusion. THESE PEOPLE WERE TRYING TO KILL ME!