Element of Fire

Straw

I ran through the brush knocking trees aside as I ran, I just managed to jump over a tree root when the screams grew louder. I rushed forward and broke through a group of trees branches. What I saw stopped me short, there cornering a young woman was a creature unlike anything I'd ever seen before, or even heard about. It never seemed to hold the same shape for long, and each shape it took was even more terrifying then the last. I stood there shocked and disgusted until I saw the young woman with a look of true horror across her face. I tightened my fist and raced at the monster.
"Leave her alone!" I shouted as defiantly as possible.
The monster whirled around and I swung with all my might, the creature flew back a few feet and growled changing into something even worse and even more hideous then what it was. I stood undaunted, I glanced over at the girl behind me and saw she was staring at me as if I'd grown wings. I looked back and picked up a branch lying on the ground as the monster reared up.
"How dareth you stealtih my supper!" I growled changing shape yet again.
"Keep talking monster I may just die of laughter." I said brandishing my makeshift weapon at it.
"Ha as if you could do anything to me little runth." He laughed and I felt anger flare through my body
The branch burst into flame and I charged ducking as the monster swiped out at me. Jumping up I swung at the monster and knocked him along his ear line. It reared back and swung out but I dodged it again and swung knocking it direct in the face. Two teeth fell at as it stepped back and regarded me carefully. Suddenly it was like I couldn't breathe, the monster took on a form that scared me to my very core. The figure stepped towards me and I started to shake and tremble, I stepped back and found that the girl was now standing behind me. If I backed up any further I would push her over. I swallowed my fear and held my flaming branch in front of me.
"What's the matter little girl afraid of me?" It asked in a taunting voice that sounded just like his.
"You are not real, and I will not let my fear paralyze me!" I shouted rushing forward and swinging at him.
I knocked him aside but he didn't change instead a flow of blood dripped down his forehead and he glared at me. I dropped the branch and it went out, there was no way I could fight him, not my own little brother. He had all the time that I didn't, and he was real unlike me. I couldn't hurt him, I fell to the ground staring at my hands. I shut my eyes tight, there was nothing I could do.
"Giving up already sis, well alright then but I get to take your head." He sneered each word throwing them at me as if they could kill me.
I was going to just let him when I heard a small whimper from behind me, the girl was still there. She didn't have anyone to protect her, if I died she would be next. Gritting my teeth I stood back up and let anger fill my veins, he was not my brother he was a monster and I was going to kill him.
"You can't fool me I may be weak, but I will not let you hurt someone while I'm around."
Fire spread along my arms and I rushed at the monster before it could change forms, wrapping it in a hug I let the flames sink over his skin. It was trapped in a flame pillar, much like the one I'd conjured before. It screamed and changed forms trying to get me to let go, but i held on until there was nothing left of the monster. The flames died down and I turned back to the girl, she was watching me with aw.
"You'll be safe now. It's only ashes now."
"Thank you." She bowed her head then ran off.
I watched after her then sank down under a nearby tree, suddenly I was exhausted and wanted nothing more then to sleep. I was just slipping over into dream land when Walter crashed through the brush and spotted me. He raced over but before he could say a word I waved him aside and smiled.
"I'm fine just tired." But the words didn't come out that way they were more like a string of garbled noises.
Instead of responding or asking what I'd said he reached down and picked me up. I didn't struggle I was too tired to do so any way. I laid my head against his chest and slipped away as he carried me back the way I'd come, when the girl was still in danger.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ha faced her fear, for now. I can totally understand my own brother scares me sometimes, but I would do anything to help protect him.