Element of Fire

Burns

"So what happened at school today? Leon? Sya?"
I looked up from my plate and saw my mom looking at us. I looked back down at my mashed potatoes and started to swirl them around with my spoon.
"Sya is something wrong?"
"No, I'm just not hungry at all."
"Mom! Guess what!?"
"What Leon?"
"Well today we played basketball and -"
I stoppped listening and stood up grabbing my plate and walking back towards the kitchen. After dumping my food into the garbage I rinsed the plate then made my way upstairs.
"I'm going to study now."
"Okay honey there are left overs if you want them."
I nodded then walked up and opened the door to my bedroom. After I shut it I stood there and let the dark wash over me before turning on the light and making my way over to the desk. Pulling out my textbooks I tried to study but my mind kept wandering back to what had happened. I'd run away of course but for the rest of the day it was like he'd become my shadow. Every time I turned around he was there smiling as if he'd just won a hundred thousand dollars. But what bothered me the most was that every time I saw him it felt like I was forgetting something really important.
"What's going on? Why'd he have to come and ruin everything?"
I finally gave up on trying to study and looked at the candles that sat on my dresser. I stared at the wicks and waited for a few seconds then watched as they burst into flames. Leaning back I closed my eyes, but the flames still burned in my mind. I could see them even though my eyes were closed. Raising my hand I waved it over and the flames snuffed out. I opened my eyes and laid my head down on the desk, and looked at my hand.
"Why do I have this power, why can't I be normal?"
I stared at my hand for a few more minutes then my phone began to ring. Raising my head I reached over and picked it up.
"Huh who's this?"
I didn't recognize the number, but I clicked the answer button anyway.
"Hello?"
"It's good to hear your voice Sya."
"Brock? How'd you get my number?!"
"Does it matter? Anyway can you come out tonight?"
"Of course not I have to study."
"Wow you've really changed you used to hate to study."
"Stop acting like you know me!"
"But Sya I do know you."
"NO YOU DON'T! LEAVE ME ALONE!"
I hung up and jumped onto my bed and buried my head into my pillow. As soon as my head hit the pillow I closed my eyes and buried myself into my memories.