Sequel: Charming's Charmless

Charming the Charming

Keeping You Safe

Image

Juice’s television hummed on low volume as he sat on the couch with another bowl of the cereal as Helen slept on painkillers in his bed. He had spent the last night lying awake on the couch only answering check-up calls from Jax and pacing from the lounge to his bedroom to check on Helen.

Walking into the kitchen Juice picked up Helen’s 'Guns' shirt from the floor and placed it on the table and put his bowl in the sink, on top of yesterdays bowl. He let out a tired sigh.

“You should get some sleep,” her small voice croaked from the kitchen archway, “You sound tired.”

He turned meeting her glassy gaze, “No, you’re the one that needs rest.”

She shook her head, “It hurt too much to stay in bed.” Her feet shuffled over to the couch, “Can I please have some of those pills?” her head found a place in her hands.

The weight of Juice sitting on the couch next to her prompted Helen to hold out a hand and throw the pills down her throat, she shook her hand at the glass of water and went back to cupping her face in both hands.

“How do they feel today?”

Helen shook her head, “Like a burning pit borrowed from hell. And Jesus I feel like puking.”

“That good, huh?”

“Yeah.”

Juice thumbed his chin and sat back on the couch. “Listen I gotta make a run today. Will you be okay here on your own?”

She moved her head so that her chin sat in her hands and looked over at Juice, “Perfectly fine.”

It was just on nightfall when Helen heard Juice’s bike rumble up the drive way and his keys turn in the front door.
He walked in spotting Helen perched with her legs bent at the knee of his couch and the news blabbering out lines of fear in front of her. It was odd coming home to someone being there, yet somewhat comforting in the sense that he wasn’t opening the house to silence and stillness.

“How was your day?” she asked, looking over with a slight smile and a cut up apple on a plate that balanced in her lap.

He took off his leather and hung it over the back of the couch. “It was the usual,” something he wasn't sure of doing was telling someone how his day had been.

She nodded, “I thought you might end up with another sleepless night at the club.”

“No,” he shook his head walking over to the kitchen.

“You ate all the cereal, but here,” she held out her plate, “I can’t eat this.”

Juice walked back into the lounge and took the plate from her, “What’s wrong?”

She shook her head and curled an arm around her stomach, “Just been feeling really sick all day. I think it’s the pain killers.”

He took a seat at her feet, “Do you want me to call Tara?”

“No, she said she would be by today, probably caught up at the hospital,” Helen shifted her weight and pushed her face into the back of the couch. “Just eat the apple and we can pick up some proper food tomorrow.”

Juice leaned back with the plate in his lap and a hand on Helen’s leg. “I’m going to call Jax and see where Tara is, at least.”

Helen felt his weight shift from the couch and at that moment a wash of cramps and heat beat through her stomach. “Fuck,” her breath rattled and she bent over.

“What?” Juice looked around with concern quickening his voice.

“Nothing. I am just gonna have a hot bath. It’s fine,” quickly she hobbled to the bathroom making sure to shut the door behind her.

Sweat covered Helen's skin as she clasped the sides of the basin. Taking in deep breathes that matched the quickening pace of daggers in her stomach. A whimper escaped her lips just as her knees buckled and thudded over the bathroom floor.
Helen clutched her stomach and clenched her teeth as the pain grew to mind numbing heights. Just as she thought her body couldn’t take anymore she felt a sudden warmth run down her thighs.

“Oh god,” she croaked looking down at a poll of crimson red forming at her knees. “Juice!”

He bolted down the hallway at her screams and opened the bathroom door.“Shit!” Juice looked down at the blood beginning to coat his bathroom floor.

“Get Tara and Jax here now!”

Juice and Jax stood just behind the bathroom door frame. A bloody towel clutched tight in Juice's hand. Jax had his hand over his mouth as they both watched Helen screaming and crying in Tara’s arms on the bathroom floor as blood covered both their clothes.

“Come on baby, you can pull through this,” she pushed Helen’s hair back from her face and looked up at Jax. “Run a hot bath. Juice go grab some more towels.”

Tara held back her own tears as she held her sister in her arms. She wasn’t ready to tell them what was happening.

Jax stepped over and turned the taps dropping in the plug. “Get her in now,” he grabbed Helen’s ankles and they both lifted her into the running water.

Juice came back with an armful of towels and placed them on the toilet seat.

“Close the door.” Tara barked, not bothering to look up at them as she grabbed a towel and placed it under Helen’s head as it laid back over the tub’s rim.

Hours went by as the men stood in the kitchen listening to Helen’s cries die down to coughs and whimpers.
Tara emerged from the bathroom her clothes and skin wet with water and blood. In her arms she clutched a thick bundle of stained towels.

“You need to sit with her while I grab her some clothes.” Tara touched Juice’s arm with a shaking hand.

Her fingers barely leaving his skin before he quickened down the hall and into the bathroom.

“What happened in there?” Jax placed a hand on Tara’s back.

“She had miscarriage.”

Jax’s eye went wide, “I didn’t know she was pregnant.”

Her head shook, “No one did, I am guessing she wasn’t too far along. After what Hoss did and me having to crush her ribs into place it was only a matter of time,” her voice was dead pan.

Jax's attention landed on the towels in his girlfriends arms. "Is that...?"

Tears welled in Tara's eyes. "It's not much. Just a bloody mess of clots."

His arms wanted to pull her into a tight hug but she only stepped away. “The bleeding has stopped, I have to get her some clothes. Can you go out and pick up bottles of orange juice?”

"Of course." Jax nodded.

"I have to get rid of all this...."

Juice’s fingers traced Helen’s jawline as he sat next to the tub overflowing with water and blood.

Her eyes stared vacantly up at the ceiling. “The water’s going cold. Help me out.”

Getting to his knees Juice plunged his arms into the red water and slipped them under her knees and back careful to lift her out. Helen clutched his shirt with her hand and leaned her head into his chest.
He took her from the bathroom and into the bedroom.

“I’ll get your sheets wet,” Helen mumbled as he placed her on the bed not waiting for Tara to bring in clothes and pulled a pair of his sweats out and a gray SAMCRO shirt.

“I’ll change them,” Juice replied taking up a sheet and drying her skin off moving to slowly peel off her cold, soaking clothes and replace them with his dry and warm ones.

“Jax has gone to get some OJ for her, best way to bring up her sugar levels,” Tara leaned against the door as Juice pulled the cord on the sweats so that they sat comfortable around Helen’s waist.

“Could you grab out clean sheets from the hall cupboard?” Juice asked as he pulled Helen into his arms again and moved her out into the lounge room.

Tara nodded, “I’ll make the bed and clean up. You just stay with her.”

“Thanks. Again,” Helen muttered to Juice as she leaned against his arm on the couch.

“It’s ok.”

She shook her head, “You barely know me, this shouldn’t be your problem.”

“You’re not a problem to me.”

The door clicked open and Jax walked in with two bags packed with cold OJ which he handed over to Juice for Helen and headed off to help Tara clean up.

Juice's hands unscrewed the cap from a bottle before propping Helen against his chest. With a gentle turn he held the bottle in her hands as she sipped.

“Tara doesn’t want to say, she thinks I don’t know what happened in there,” she pulled the bottle from her lips., “But I do.”

“And what was it?” Juice dared to ask, stomach skipping paces at what her reply would be.

“Miscarriage.”

He felt his gut drop, “What?”

Her lips found the bottle again, “Still think I’m not a problem?”

The day passed in silence while Juice had the day at the clubhouse. Tara had taken the day off from the hospital to keep an eye on Helen who hadn’t moved from the couch.

“You have to eat honey,” Tara said as she placed a sandwich in front of Helen. “Just a few bites.”

Her head shook. “Tara, I need somewhere else to go. I can’t stay here.”

Tara’s face furrowed, “How come?”

Looking from the floor to Tara Helen's throat felt rough and dry. “Juice didn’t even look at me after I told him last night.”

“So? He is just hired muscle to keep you safe here while we think of other ways to...Oh,” she fell silent for a moment, “You like Juice?”

Helen nodded. “But after this, I would rather be far away than have to be near him. He is so sweet and definitely doesn’t need trash and issues from me.”

Tara tilted her head, “You do you know he is a biker, right?”

“He told me I wasn’t a problem to him before I opened my mouth.”

“I am sure Juice was just shocked. We all were last night. You have a lot more to worry about than if he likes you or not,” she placed a hand over her sisters and squeezed her fingers.

“But it’s a lot easier than thinking about everything else,” vacancy echoed in her tone.

“Listen, just stay here until you’re better or at least more stable and we can talk about finding you somewhere else, okay?” Tara needed Helen to stay put for a while.

“Yeah, I guess.”

Juice paced up and down the clubhouse with fists clenched and jaw set.

“Whoa,” Gemma raised a brow as she walked in, “What’s wrong, honey?”

He stopped mid pace, “Hoss, Hoss is what’s wrong!”

Gemma could see his tanned skin redden, “What happened? Is Helen alright?”

Juice’s eyes were glassy but narrow, “No. Because of that bastard we spent the night getting her through -." He couldn't bring himself to utter the word. "I am going to gun down that son of a bitch!”

“Oh Jesus,” her heeled boots clacked over to Juice and put a hand on his shoulder. “Go back to your place and leave club shit till tomorrow. Put that anger aside and focus on taking care of Helen. I know it’s where you want to be, baby.”
He lowered his brow at Gemma who gave him a pressed lip look, "Go and do what people who care do.”

"Thanks Gem." Juice turned on his heel and stomped away from the club.

The ride home seemed longer than usual as he rode his bike hard and fast. Barely missing a collision on the way.
Not bothering to hang his helmet on the bars, Juice rushed up to his door about to turn the handle and took a deep breath. Tara’s car still in the driveway he knew the door would be unlocked. Slowly he removed his helmet and let it dangle from his fingers.
So much had happened since meeting this helpless woman. She was so delicate and Juice was the one with the job to keep her safe.
Guilt began to flow through his veins as Juice came to the sudden realisation that keeping her safe wasn't going to be as easy as flashing his leathers and gun.
Flicking the handle Juice let the door swing open and stepped in.
Helen looked up from the couch as Juice stood in the doorway, chest heaving with heavy a heavy sigh.

“What are you doing home already?” she asked still sitting in the place he left her and still wearing his clothes.

“I thought...” his eyes met the ground hearing her words, “I don't know.”

Tara looked to Helen and nodded her head towards Juice with a look on her face that told her sister to say something.

“Sit next to me?” The words left her lips and not missing a beat Juice made his way next to her.

He nodding and moved to sit as close as he could, letting Helen move his arm around her and curl up into him.