Sequel: Charming's Charmless

Charming the Charming

Looking Up

Image

It was early afternoon, just past lunch and Helen was bustling around the kitchen in a pair of super short dark jean shorts and another custom cut sleeveless and collarless shirt, this time sporting the Sound Garden logo knotted just above her navel.

Weeks had passed by so slowly since the night of Helen’s miscarriage. As she spent those weeks under the watchful eyes of Juice and Tara, Helen had found a new sense of strength bloom inside her. Despite taking the hardest blow life could deal out Helen was learning to live a new life.
She found herself becoming more and more used to pottering around this house taking care of the household duties and keeping Juice company on the nights he came home. It was only a small step, but it was a step in the right direction.
With her bruises fading and bones mending things seemed to be looking up.

Another thing she had become used to was Juice letting her stay in his bed while he slept on the couch. Though during the early hours of the morning Helen would find him creeping back in under the covers. Conversations about stupid things would pass between them in these darkened hours. Sometimes though not a word would pass between them, just the embrace of having someone there was enough for the both of them.

Her hands washed dishes from the dinner they had both cooked the night before to the sounds of “Welcome to the Jungle” while her hips swung to the beat and lips sang with the lyrics, so much so she didn’t hear the front door unlock and Juice’s boots clunk over the floor.

A smile graced his face as he watched and listened to Helen show more than a forced smile and laugh in weeks. It made his insides vibrate with some semblance of happiness, a change from the anger he felt and ideas of revenge.
Her eyes closed and teeth bit into her lower lip still very unaware that Juice was admiring her from the archway.
He walked quietly towards her and with grin that turned devilish slid up behind her and landed his hands over her hips with a gentle squeeze. “Boo!”

Helen squealed and turned with a wet dish cloth in her hands playfully slapping bubbles across Juice’s face. “You scared me!”

He laughed. “I meant to,” his arms pulled her into a gentle hug.

“If I knew you’d be home this early I would have cleaned up sooner and had something for lunch.” Helen was really becoming fond of playing house with Juice, something she hadn’t been able to enjoy in countless years if ever.

She found it so easy and satisfying especially with every bit of appreciation he gave her right down to offering to do dishes some nights while she soaked in a bubble bath or the notes of thanks he left next to her cereal bowls in the morning. No matter how sick and cheesy other people may have thought of it.

“Nah, it’s okay," Juice looked down to her and softened his gaze. "The club is having this thing...a community fund raising sort of thing with important people and a barbeque, you know to keep face. I was wondering if you would want to come with me?” his cheeks flushed pink ever so slightly and his heart began to pick up pace.

Helen’s hands moved from his neck to the leather covering his shirt and chest, “Are you asking me out on a date, Juice?” her smile was soft and genuine.

He looked to the side and a short laugh left his throat, “I guess I am. So what do you say?”

Mockingly Helen looked into the air and squinted her eyes in fake thought, “I suppose I could make room for it.”

Juice’s heart slowed from racing, “Great!. Oh and-“ he dug a hand into the back pocket of his jeans, “I almost forgot, but here." He pulled out a little rectangle box wrapped in a little crushed red bow and slide it into her hands.

"What is it?" Helen took the box and ran her hands over the plastic bow.

"Open it and find out."

Helen bit her bottom lip and slowly opened the box making sure to pocket the bow. "Oh Juice! This is great."

His grin grew wide as he watched Helen run her hands over the new phone that had been in the box.
"I owed you a new phone after flushing your last one. Everyone's number is in there and Tara is on speed dial too."

Moving to her tip-toes Helen placed a kiss on Juice's cheek. "Thank you."

Quickly Juice was becoming used to the rhythms of 80’s and 90’s rock music snaking through his house at any given time. Even as he sat there waiting for Helen to finish finicking over her appearance.

He had told her a hundred times or more that she looked fine the way she was but, beyond Juice's comprehension, Helen insisted that it wasn't going to do. As he looked at his watch a sudden change in music began to move through speakers that sat behind his locked bedroom door. Something more slow and sensual peppered with sorrow. Juice's brow rose as the music kept playing.

Nervously Helen smoothed down the fifties style light lemon yellow dress which just skimmed her knees. Both her and Tara were surprised the dress still fit her after so long. But as Helen stood in Juice's bedroom behind closed doors her insides began to shudder. What if this was too much? No. It's fine. And with one more glance at her makeup and hair she opened the door.

Juice stood at the sound of his door, running a hand down his black short sleeve button up shirt accompanied with dark jeans, his colours and a pair of nice shoes that Helen had dug out from the back of his closet.

“Don’t laugh, ok?” she nervously called before stepping out knowing that Juice was used to seeing her in nothing but over sized cut up shirts, shorts, jeans and occasionally his shirts.

“You’re going to look fine, just let me see you already?” he could feel his stomach bounce with slight excitement after catching a sneaky peek the night before at the dress Tara had dropped off.

With a deep breath Helen stepped out with her hands behind her back. Juice’s lips parted in awe. His eyes started their ascent at her polished black high heels to her amazing bare legs, over the dress which clung to her in the best possible way.
She had pinned her copper curls back which he thought added to the overall classic elegance she was sporting. Helen had chosen to keep her make up to minimal winged eyeliner, nude shadow with a sweep of mascara highlighting her long lashes and a light cherry gloss.

“Oh god, I look horrible,” she turned to run back into the bedroom.

“No!” he called, “You look...stunning,” he was almost breathless by the time he could get a compliment out.

No one had referred to Helen as ‘stunning’ before. “Really?”

“Yeah,” he nodded, taken with an urge to kiss her lip gloss off and never stop.

She smiled, “You look pretty good too, a button up suits you.”

“Thanks,” he picked up her car keys, “So, ready?”

She nodded walking towards him with perfect posture and balance in her heels, “And you smell really, really good too,” she commented as he opened the front door for her.

The fundraiser was being held at a local Charming nursery as a way to show the community that the Sons we not all about muscle and guns. A way of showing people they genuinely cared for the town that housed them.

Helen looked around as Juice locked up the car, nervous at all the faces she didn’t recognise and more so at the ones that knew her as Hoss’s punching bag.

“Jax and Tara are already here,” he said pocketing the keys into his jeans and taking Helen’s hand.

“Good, all these people-“she stopped herself, “Good,” she moved her hand up Juice’s arm so their arms interlaced which felt like such a natural movement to them both.

"Hey," Juice slid a finger under her chin, "It'll be okay."

Jax turned to watch Juice and Helen walk towards Gemma and Clay as did each member to note their presence. “So how do you feel about your sister having one massive puppy crush on a biker?”

Tara had been looking in the same direction with a slight smile. “Well it’s been good enough for me. It’s kind of cute the way they are.”

Jax smiled and pressed his lips against hers, “They seem happy.”

“Yeah, I hope it stays that way.”

Sitting together Juice and Helen watched and listened as Clay and Jax gave their speeches to Charming causing smiles and laughter as light and well practiced jokes worked into their spiel. Juice's hand sat comfortably on Helen’s crossed knee and her arm took its spot looped in his arm and they both clapped along with everyone else once the speeches began to give way to a small band playing slow garden house music.

“So I hear you like to dance,” Juice leaned over whispering into Helen’s ear.

“Oh no, that was one time you caught sight of in the kitchen,” her smile turned into a soft giggled and her cheeks blushed.

His hands slipped into hers and pulled Helen to her feet, “Come on, I promise we’ll go slow,” as soon as those words left his mouth Helen’s stomach did a silly little flip.

“Fine, but just one dance.”

“That’s all I ask,” Juice lead Helen over to the installed dance floor and slid an arm around her waist as she put an arm around his neck, both still holding one hand to each other. Slowly they began to sway side to side.

“I feel so silly,” she hummed through her embarrassment even though her chest felt warm and her mood was beginning to lull into some sense of calm.

“Don’t feel silly,” his nose just touched hers, “You look beautiful and move just as,” Juice found his words strange since he wasn't the most articulate of people, but he found his wording spot on in that moment.

Helen eased her body closer to his and soon both Juice's arms were around her waist and Helen's arms around his neck. Juice hadn't felt this close to someone in so long he found it hard to remember. He brushed his lips against her cheek and felt her blush under his skin which made the smallest of smiles appear over his face.

The music slowly changed tempo to something quicker paced. “Come on, you skipped breakfast and it’s past lunch,” Helen began breaking their embrace.

“You’re always feeding me, aren’t you?” Juice's voice was warm and settled as he followed Helen to the barbeque.

“Well I am pretty sure you skip food when you’re not home, so I am just taking care of you best I can when I get the chance to.” As Helen turned to the line in front of them her smiled quickly faded into a sure frown as her eyes landed on Hoss staring back at them from across the sizzling plates. Her first instinct was to drop Juice’s hand run.

Which is exactly what she did.

“Helen?” Juice called after her before looking over to the thing that had her scared.

Whatever Juice had been feeling dropped away and was quickly replaced with rage towards the filth smirking back at him. Juice knew better than to cause drama during the fund raiser, even though all he wanted to do was put a bullet in the creeps head, he turned heel and went after Helen.

Helen found herself sitting alone perched on a white swing designed for two with tears marking her make up. This happened every single time. Just when she thought and hoped it was over and she had gotten away he would turn up and turn everything to rubbish.

“So this is where you’re hiding?” Juice’s voice trailed behind her, his footsteps drawing him closer.

“I’m sorry,” she was quick to apologise before looking up.

He crouched down in front of her and cupped her chin with his hand, “You haven’t got to be sorry for anything.” Juice ran a thumb over her tears wiping them from her face. “Wanna go home and watch a movie instead?”

Her eyes met the New Yorkers and she could feel herself falling harder and harder for him. “Yeah.”

Pulling Helen to her feet without the cue of band stand Juice tucked her under his arm as they walked off, “You still look beautiful.”

An old VHS copy of Casablanca moved through scenes in front of Juice as Helen sat curled up between his legs and head resting on his bare chest. Her arms found a place over his legs tangled with hers.
A soft sigh escaped her lips as her fingers made their way to the berry lollipop sticking out from between Juice's lips and snatched it for her own taste buds. Without protest Juice placed a soft kiss on top of Helen's head and shifted the blanket around them that he had brought out from the bedroom.

"You don't have to be scared oh him any more. Not when I am looking out for you."

Helen shifted her head so that her lips were softly sitting against his neck. "I know."

The sensation of her lips brushing against Juice's neck send shivers down his spine and his skin prickled in response. It took every ounce of self restraint he had to not pull Helen over his lap and do something he would regret.

Helen moved the lollipop from her lips and pressed it against his lips. "Being here with you is the safest I can remember feeling."
♠ ♠ ♠
So it's St Valentine's day and yes I know, this chapter did get a tad "cute".