Dark Blue

Prologue

Valentine

"Hey bro, we're headed to a movie. Tell Mom and Dad I'll be home later, kay?" my best friend Sage called to her older brother as we flew down the steps. Garrett looked up from his spot on the couch, a smile on his thin lips.

"Okay, Sage. Love ya. See you later Val," he smiled, giving a small wave as he turned his attention back to the television.

"Love you too, Gare," Sage shouted unnecessarily loudly, a huge smile on her translucent skin. Her wild copper hair flew behind her and into my face as she ran towards the door. I rolled my silver eyes, but couldn't keep my lips from tugging up.

"Bye Garrett," I said with a grin, slipping on my flats. His bright teeth shone through as he gave us one last smile.

If I knew in that moment what that night morphed into, I'm sure that I would've taken longer to leave, or done something.

It was the night everything changed.

Garrett

"Hey bro, we're headed to a movie. Tell Mom and Dad I'll be home later, kay?" Sage called.

I could hear her trampling down the stairs and smiled. My second day home from tour, and already, she had more of a social life than I did. I saw her beaming face and a head of coffee hair behind her. I should've known Val was here, the two were attached at the hip.

"Okay Sage," I laughed, tearing my eyes away from MTV. "Love ya. See you later, Val."

"Love you too, Gare!" Sage screamed happily, giving me one of her goofy faces. For an 18-year-old, she acted half of that. But it was one of the things that made Sage just so vibrant and great.

She had ran to the front door, her flip flops clacking against the hardwood. She tapped her foot impatiently at the door, sending a pointed glare at Val, who in return rolled her big eyes and adjusted her shorts.

"Bye Garrett," Val chuckled, slipping on her shoes and following Sage to her car. I shook my head, turning my attention back to the cheesy reality show.

Looking back at that night, I wish so desperately I could've known what that evening would bring. I would've done something differently. I would've stopped it.

It was the night everything changed.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, this story's been in my head for awhile now, and it's not like anything I've ever done. For future reference, after this, chapters will switch off point of view every other chapter..am I making sense?

Anyway, I would appreciate feedback and your thoughts. I'm really excited about this (:

xxxo, Sara