Dark Blue

Don't Ever Leave Me Alone

Valentine

I hurt.

Okay, never mind that. Hurt was an understatement.There was an ache covering and taking over my entire body, but for some reason, I couldn't bring myself to do anything about it. Everything was a blinding white, and I didn't know where I was. I couldn't tell if I was dreaming or...

No, this had to be reality. The pain was too bad for this to be a dream.

I couldn't move. I tried, but the dull aching was slowly transforming into more. It took more energy than I had to even lift my fingers or open my eyes. I couldn't see. I was stuck in this prison within my head, and I couldn't even process why. What happened?

My whole body felt like it was on fire, and I couldn't think straight. I couldn't see beyond the brightness behind my eyelids. I didn't have the motivation to fight against it, so I stopped trying.

I felt a pressure around my left hand, but it wasn't like the sharp pain that had taken hold of the rest of my body. It was gentle, but reassuring. I could hear something, or someone, but it all sounded foggy, like I was under water.

"Valie...don't stop...wake up...I love you."

I couldn't tell whose voice it was, or even if it were a guy or girl. I winced a bit, and that small movement hurt like a bitch. A sharp pain shot through my head and crept all the way down my spine.

But it was enough.

The voice, the reassurance, it was enough. It was what I needed; I needed to put up a fight. I mustered all the strength I contained, and attempted to pry my eyelids open. I don't know how long it took, but I heard people rustling around and calling for someone through the watery thudding in my ears and head.

"Valentine! Valentine, can you hear me?"

The voice was unfamiliar and obnoxiously loud. I groaned, and I realized my throat was killing me too. My eyes fluttered open, and I saw a strange, middle aged man hovering above me, shining a light in my eyes.

"Shhh," I whispered, before my vision was cut off by my eyelids again. Just that little episode had taken too much effort, and I found myself drifting back into a weird sort of slumber.

The last thing I heard was a weird mix of chuckling and sobbing before I blacked out completely.

~*~

"She seems to be making progress, but I can't guarantee you anything once she wakes up for good," the obnoxious voice said. Had he no respect for sleeping people? I frowned, and dammit, even that hurt.

"What do you mean?" I recognized my mom's voice. She sounded scared, and my frown deepened. I wanted nothing more than to go help her, wherever she was. I felt totally helpless as I made out a distinct sniffle.

"We can't predict how much damage was done to her brain until she's fully awake. She could be fine, but she also could have something more severe."

"Now, just wait a second," my dad said loudly, his voice sounding pissed.

"Daddy, be quiet," I whined, cringing back against the bed.

The room got eerily quiet, and I could hear them all rushing over to me. I just wanted to sleep. Way to go, Val, opening your stupid mouth.

"Valentine, can you hear me?" the stranger asked, and I wanted to roll my eyes, but considering they were closed, he wouldn't get the full effect.

"No, I don't think so. Talk a little louder."

My voice sounded hoarse and awful to my ears, but I heard both of my parents laughing. In normal cases, they would've scolded me for speaking to someone like that. What the hell was I missing?

"I think her brain's just fine," I heard Dad mumble under his breath, his voice holding a slight hint of a chuckle.

"Valie, sweetie, how do you feel?" Mom asked, and I could feel her cool hand pushing my hair away from my face. I tried not to wince, but I couldn't.

"It hurts."

"Yeah, I know," Dad whispered, squeezing my hand a little.

I forced my eyes open, and at first, everything was too blinding as I adjusted to the light. I could barely see out of one eye, but I could make out machines and a slight beeping beside me. As I carefully turned my head, I discovered the man with the loud voice was actually a doctor. Oops.

He was messing with an IV bag, and as I followed it, I saw it connected to my hand. Something finally sunk in, and I could feel my eyes widen painfully.

"Why am I here? What happened?"

The beeping quickened, and the doctor exchanged a look with my parents. I could feel myself getting drowsy again, and I tried to fight it.

"You have a broken arm, three broken ribs, and multiple serious lacerations. Plus, you sustained a pretty bad blow to your head," the doctor informed me, and I blinked multiple times.

"You should rest sweetie. We'll be here when you wake up," Mom urged, kissing my forehead. Dad did the same, and the beeping slowed as my eyes drooped shut. The pain was starting to slowly numb, as were all my other senses.

"No," I protested, but it was useless. Everything faded out again.

~*~

The pain came back. I shifted uncomfortable, crying out a bit with the movement. I heard someone gasp beside me, and the rustling of clothing. I pried my eyes open, and it was dark outside.

The silhouette of the person was illuminated by the moon seeping through the blinds and the glowing of all the machines. I knew immediately it wasn't one of my parents, and I squinted slowly.

"Oh, god Val. You scared me!" Garrett exclaimed, resettling in the uncomfortable looking chair. I could hear the beeping on my heart monitor quickening, and he watched me, a slightly guilty look on his face.

"I scared you?" Disbelief colored my raspy voice, and Garrett chuckled nervously. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm sorry," he mumbled, his eyes searching mine. Something about them was off, but I couldn't make out what. "If you want me to go-"

"No!" I blurted out, and the force made my weak voice crack. "Please, don't leave me here."

He hesitated, examining my face. Finally, he nodded slowly. "All right."

The quiet settled over us, only broken by the whirring of machines and now steady beating of my heart monitor. We played a sort of unspoken game. He'd watch me, and the minute I'd look over, he'd glance away while I stared. Then the whole process would start over, and we'd never meet the others gaze.

Finally, I just couldn't take it. "Hey, Garrett?"

"Yeah?"

Both our voices were just whispers, and finally we stared deep into each others pupils. With his intense, almost sad gaze, I found myself chickening out. But something was gnawing at the pit of my stomach. I knew I had to say it quick, because I could feel the medicine taking control again, and I my vision was starting to fog around the edges.

"What's going on? My parents and the doctor, they were all so careful, and looked sorry for me. Kinda the same look you're giving me now..."

His expression faltered, but he quickly regained composure, a forced, tight-lipped smile on his face. "I shouldn't tell you, Valentine. Your parents, or the doctor-"

"I'm asking you. Please, Garrett." My voice was little more than a forced breath, and he looked at his hands.

"There was an accident. You and Sage-"

I didn't hear anything else he said. My breathing hitched, and I could feel the tears pricking at the back of my eyes. As I looked at Garrett, I could see the water sprouting from his own cloudy blue eyes. He grabbed my hand in both of his, looking up at me with a tortured expression.

"Is she...?"

He didn't have to say it. I knew.

From what I've read and seen, most people who went through something like this and were knocked out never regain memory of the accident. Naturally, I was not that fortunate. We sat there together sobbing, and I could see the whole thing replaying before my eyes, over and over again. There was nothing I could do to change it.

I could feel the effect of the drugs more and more with each heave of my shoulders. Garrett started to get up, but I held his hand tighter. His callused fingers covered mine completely.

"Please, don't leave me," I choked out, sniffling as my eyelids flitted closed again.

"I promise, I won't," he vowed in a thick voice. I nodded, and his tear-filled blue eyes were the last thing I saw before a dark sleep overtook me.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, Val knows about the accident and Sage. Any thoughts on how she's gonna react and such? And who thinks they know who was with her when she first woke up?

Since this is still new, I'd love to know your opinions, just a simple, 'love it!' 'hate it' type thing would be greatly appreciated.

I would love to thank these lovely people for their comments on the last chapter: RumorHasIt? , RoRo15, and drivingbackwards

xxxo, Sara