Sincerly, Delilah.

Dear Mr. Mark Hoppus,

Dear Mr. Mark Hoppus,
Today I woke up to find out that Whitney Houston died. And it’s a sad thing. I went on facebook to find these half ass “R.I.P. Whitney </3” everywhere. As I was scrolling down, I saw one paragraph, from a girl that sits in the corner during art class, writing about how she grew up listening to Whitney Houston’s music. She was extremely upset by this, and actually took the time to write out a beautiful paragraph about someone who she admired, while everyone else just put up a half assed update. It annoyed me a little that they didn’t really care. I didn’t write anything, because I never really listened to Whitney’s music. The only thing I listened to was her signing the national anthem at a super bowl. I only did that because I was preparing to sing the anthem at out last home game before the championships (Needless to say I was terrible, but for some odd reason, my history teacher loved it). But back to the facebook story, then I saw a picture of Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson, with the caption both taken too soon. By that point I lost it. I logged out of facebook and slammed the laptop shut. I realized how shallow we are as people. I’m not trying to be disrespectful to Whitney Houston or her family by any means though. I respect her, I respect her work. When my grandfather died last September, I totally lost it and had an emotional breakdown. I didn’t eat, I didn’t sleep, and I didn’t talk. My parent’s wanted me to sing a song at his funeral, I obliged. When we went to the viewing, it was more of a celebration. My mom’s side of the family is Irish and so, they had their own little version of an Irish wake. Irish wakes are more about celebration of the deceased life. Not the mourning and sadness of their death. There was a lot of laughter and happiness that night, as there was sadness and the lack of Grandpa’s famous potato salad. Whitney Houston’s death really made me think about life and death in general. I really wonder what happens in the after life. If there’s a hell and a heaven, or if you get reborn, or maybe it’s like The Five People You Meet In Heaven.

Wow talk about a bunch of babble. I know you really didn’t want to read this, but you still are, seeing as you are reading this sentence right now. My main point is, why mourn the loss of a life and get sad knowing their not here anymore, when you can celebrate their life and their memory. And be happy knowing that their in a better place?

Sincerely,
Delilah, the confused girl.