The Bucket List

The Kiss.

The ride was full of jokes and laughter, the two teenager’s voices rising not only in volume but in octaves as they tried to out sing the other.

Grace turned grinning at the boy that was sat next to her, one hand on the steering wheel while the other was on the gear stick, eyes trained on the road as he navigated them to their destination.

He showed her a different outlook on life; and he showed her a different side to him. But most importantly, Garrett showed Grace a different side to her, a better side.

The summer was beginning to change Grace, turn her from the petite fragile brunette girl that was just wondering when her illness was going to steal her life away from her, instead the long bright days had transferred her into a strong lively girl, that was going to fight for every single day.

Garrett was the one that had started the change, like a snowball effect, sending her one simply goofy text that would instantly turn even the worst days where she wanted to curl into a ball into ones where she couldn’t wipe the smile off her face if she tried. No one had ever had the power to make her feel this way, to feel like nothing could get to her and that her cancer couldn’t hurt her.

Not even Russ, the big brother she owed everything to, her best friend that had always vowed to protect her through thick and thin could take away the feeling that no matter what she did her day’s was numbered, only Garrett had that power and this is scared her.

Even thinking about her brother made her heart sink, she had never spent this much time away from her, even when she was in hospital he somehow persuaded the doctors to let him sleep in the chair, reading Grace her favourite stories until she fell asleep.

Two days was the longest they had been apart or didn’t talk and that was because he was mad at her for losing his pet dog by accidentally leaving the front door open when she got in from camp. The reason it only lasted two days was because on the second night she was rushed into hospital, Russ immediately hating himself as he sat next to her on the hospital bed wondering if this was going to be her final night.

Garrett continued driving, turning down dirt tracks before pulling up in an old field, the grass browning underneath the car tires in what seemed to be the middle of nowhere.

He turned to look at her, shooting her a half smile as he climbed out the car standing in front of the hood as he waited for her, one hand out stretched, she accepted with a small smile.

The scars of playing the guitar and bass where rough against her pale skin, it felt nice, almost soothing, it felt like home.

The pair walked across field, weaving in between in the cars before making it to the top of the hill, Garrett pulling her to stop beside him.

Air caught in her throat as she look down at the sight, bright flashing lights in neon colours, contrasting with the pale pastels colouring of the sunset.

The noise hit her next, the laughter and screeching of children followed by the worried cries of parents mixed with the pulsing pop music that seemed to surround the whole place.

Grace couldn’t believe it; it seemed so different to how she pictured it, only ever seeing a carnival in the movies like the notebook.

“Thank you so much G” she breathed, her eyes widening as she tried to take everything in at once, her hand tightening on his as she begin to run down the hill and towards the bright lights.

Garrett just laughed tripping behind her as he tried to keep up, before she stopped suddenly turning around unsure where to go first.

“This way” Garrett whispered from behind, his lips by her right ear as he lifted their connected hands, pointing in one direction as she nodded not really pay attention as she continued to stare around widely trying to take it all in.

“Garrett what took you so long” Kennedy laughed as Grace’s head snapped to the left, turning to see the whole gang stood there staring at the two. Grace yanked her hand from Garrett’s grip as though it was on fire, a blush rising to her cheeks as Piper and Bailey both gave her a pointed look.

“I needed to run an errand” he said simply, rolling his eyes as he ran a hand through his hair, coming to a stop next to John.

They continued to chit chat, the words floating around Grace’s head as she continued to look around, the ride’s didn’t appeal to her instead it was the game booths that caught her attention.

Hook a duck, the shoot hoop, the type that are probably set up so you didn’t win, but that’s the type what appealed to her, that even though the odds are stacked against her she still wanted to try and prove herself wrong, that she could win them at their own game.

Selfish thoughts began to swim around her mind, not liking the idea that she now had to share Garrett with everyone when all she wanted was to have this memory with just him. As soon as the thought’s had started the wave of guilt hit her, taking her back as she realized what she just thought, wishing that her cousin, her friends weren’t here.

She walked over to Bailey, taking hold of her hand before dragging her across the field, pulling her to the waltzes, paying the guy before dragging her into the car.

Piper and Faith giggling as the climbed in between the two, the middle aged man rolled his eyes as he lowered the restraint leaving the group to stay seated waiting for everyone else to get seated and strapped in.

Then music began to play, a cheery up beat bubblegum pop song where the girl sang about how much she loved her boyfriend, soon after they began spinning, bored looking men trailing around the ride stopping at different booths now and again to spin the shrieking girls in different directions before moving on.

The quartet couldn’t stop giggling as they struggled to climb off the contraption, stumbling now and again as they tried to hold onto each other as they attempted to walk back over to the group, laughter erupting from their voices every time one nearly fell.

“Well it looks like somebody’s having fun” John chuckled, his arm wrapping around Bailey’s waist as she simply laid her head against her chest shutting her eyes as he held her tight.

“Johnny I’m tired i was in the night shift last night” Bailey breathed out, stifling a sigh, as he kissed her temple.

“I know sweetie, we’ll go drop by yours now and get your work stuff then we’ll go back to mine now” he mumbled into her hair, releasing his arm from around her take her hand as they said goodbye to everyone else and left the fairground.

“I want to go hook a duck, anyone else coming?” Kennedy asked, his eyes surveying the circle as they all rolled their eyes making a comment about how it was a kids game or something, Grace turned to Kennedy giving him a smile.

“I'll go with you” she answered quietly as he beamed, grabbing his hand before half dragging, half pulling her between people as they headed to the hook a duck.

To watch Kennedy play the game was a laugh, it seemed the poor guitarist didn’t have any hand eye coordination, causing him to miss every time he went for the duck. A couple of bucks later and he finally gave up realizing that he was never going to win.

Grace chuckled softly, getting her purse out of her bag before handing the store holder the correct amount of money before taking the pole out of Kennedy hand, replacing it instead with her bag.

Carefully she leaned forward, her arms trained on one bright yellow rubber duck that she wanted to get. Swiftly with the pole held firmly in her left hand she pushed it forward, tilting the hook slightly, before following it through with a clockwise turn, getting the hook through the hole in one swift move, lifting into the airs as the water dripped off its plastic back.

“Whoopee we have a winner” the guy stated sarcastically rolling his eyes as he held out his hand for the pole “pick whatever prize you want kid” the guy continued, motioning boredly to the stuffed animals hanging above his head.

“The turtle?” she asked simply, as the guy reached up pulling the plush green turtle from its hook and thrusting it into her hand, before turning to another group of people trying to get them to buy into their game.

“Do you want it?” Grace asked, motioning from Kennedy to the turtle, as he just looked at her, she just half smiled thrusting the turtle into his hand as he just smiled at her “and we will even tell everyone you won it” she added with a laugh as they continued to walk around the fair.

They couldn’t see anyone else from the group as they stopped at the Ferris wheel, Kennedy asking Grace if she wanted a ride. Grace knew what she needed to do, the reason why Garrett brought her here, to tick number six off of her list.

If she turned down the ride with Kennedy then she knew she wouldn’t get a chance to tick off the thing on her list, not before she died, but if she did it without Kennedy knowing the reason behind it, it would just bring a whole amount of awkwardness into their already new friendship.

They were near the front of the cue now, Grace’s palms began to sweat as she realized everything she had to do, and as she thought about it more, Kennedy wasn’t a bad guy, she could do a lot worse and that wasn’t meant in a bad way, but it wasn’t right.

“Hey here have you guys been?” Garrett asked as they approached the group shooting Grace a smile, as he stopped in front of the two, just as they reached the front of the cue.

“Two to a car” the woman said to the trio, holding her hand out for the money, waiting for them to pick who was going on.

“Mind if I steal her for this one Kenny?” Garrett asked, handing the woman some money, as she motioned for them to sit in the car, fastening the safety belt down. Kennedy shook his head, smiling at the two as he waved before heading off, the turtle tucked underneath his arm.

“I’m sorry about budging in if you wanted to come in here with Kennedy” Garrett stuttered, stumbling over his words as he ran his hand through the back of his head.

“No its okay, I kind of got nervous about going on with Kennedy” she replied honestly with a shrug, turning to look away from him and instead at the sunset, the sky bleeding different shades of pinks and lilacs as the sun went to bed.

“Well if you don’t want to do this its fine Gray, nobodies making you” Garrett stated simply, taking her left hand in his, forcing her to look at him.

It was a slow journey, giving Grace both times to think and take in the sight. As they slowly reached the top she knew the new decision she wanted to make, she squeezed his hand as she turned to look at him, her eyes searching his as they came to a stop at the top of the wheel.

“Are you sure?” he questioned, keeping their eyes locked so he could see if she was certain that this was exactly what she wanted, she nodded slightly, lightly running her tongue across her lips nervously.

Garrett lifted his hand, gently cupping Grace’s cheek as they both moved closer, her eyes drifting shut as his other hand went to her waist.

Swiftly he closed the gap, his lips gently reaching hers. The experience was new to Grace, after all this was her first kiss, she thought it would be wet and slimy and weird but instead she thought it was nice.

His plump lips were soft in her, fitting perfectly into them, the slightly chapped skin felt like home to Grace, the only thought running through her head was ‘Am I doing this right?!’.

Then just as she started to enjoy this new experience it ended, Garrett pulling away suddenly, his hands rubbing his face before moving to his hair, his eyes looking everywhere but at Grace.

Grace eyes were wide, she felt like a deer caught in the headlights unsure on what to do next, she bit her lip her hand automatically reaching out to take his big calloused hand in hers, and he turned and looked at her trying to detect any emotion to what just happened.

She gently pulled her hand from his, their eyes never parting, as she lifted them to her chest, forming the shape of a heart with her hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment?