The Bucket List

Catch-22

“Text me later Gar, I owe you breakfast for keeping you up all night” she called after he released her from his bear hug; he rolled his eyes, lifting his arm in a wave as he headed back into his house.

Grace just giggled, putting the car in gear as she pulled out and headed home, five minutes or so later she reached her destination, looking at her the clock on her dashboard to see that it was already past 8, she bit her lip as she climbed out her beetle locking her car.

She slowly opened the door, sucking her breath in with the hope that John and Bailey would still be tucked up in bed instead witnessing her come home at this time, thinking she was doing the walk of shame.

She released the breath as she noticed the light was still off downstairs, now heading into the kitchen to make a drink hoping to look natural for when they headed downstairs.

“Shit” she hissed as she tripped over something in the living room her body catapulting onto the couch landing on an odd shaped lump that emitted a small “oomph”.

“JOHN! BAILEY! ERIC! SOMEONE HAS BROKEN INTO THE HOUSE” Grace roared, clamouring off the sofa and grabbing the first thing that made contact with her hand.

“Get out this house before I –“ Grace shouted, gripping the high heeled shoe tighter in her hand, she was cut off by the sound of footsteps running downstairs, John leading the pack as he quickly pulled a white v-neck over his head, Bailey following gripping onto a baseball bat is a Eric made up the rear, yawning as he half heartedly wiped a hand over his face.

John raced to the couch grabbing the perpetrator by the collar as he dragged them off the couch pining them against a wall as the person began mumbling the words hard to understand as their mouth was pressed against the wall.

Eric yawned lifting one arm up to stretch as his other hastily slapped at the wall before finally making contact with the switch, the room now flooded with light.

“Daisy!” The voice chocked out as Grace let out a little shriek trying to pull John off of him.

“Oh my! I’m so sorry” She whimpered hastily pulling them into a hug as he merely chuckled.

“Russ?!” Bailey questioned, as the boy nodded with a laugh detaching himself from his younger sister, John scratched his head slightly confused about what was going on before muttering to Bailey that he would see her later, waving at Bailey before he left with Halvo in tow.

“Should I be worried about those two?” Russ asked as he followed the two girls into the kitchen, taking a seat at the table as Grace began to make them all a cup of tea.

“Nope, John Ohh is Bay’s boyfriend and he is the muscles in this house and Halvo he is harmless like even I could take him in a fight” Grace replied with a laugh as Bailey rolled her eyes flicking the crust of her slice of toast at her cousin.

“Where Mimi?” Russ asked slightly confused, as Bailey just smiled at her older cousin.

“Ma is doing her little book tour, it was kind of sprung on her but she should be back at the end of September, until then I am the chief of the house hold” Bailey said proudly grinning up at her cousin causing Russ to laugh.

After spending practically the whole day in the living room sprawled on the couch playing countless movies while catching up Bailey admitted that she promised her friends she would see them play.

Even though she was adamant that they would understand if she missed one show because her brother was visiting Russ insisted they went.

Grace pulled into the car park behind the club, smiling widely at her brother which just caused him to smile in return. She was happy that he was eager to see her friend’s band; it made her feel proud of them.

“You ready?!” she asked, her voice dripping with excitement as she was nearly jumping about in her seat.

“They better be good Daisy, you’ve built my hopes up!” He joked, laughing at the childish nature that has embodied his sister.

“My boy’s are the best” she bragged, climbing out the car and waiting impatiently for him to follow suit before dragging him into the dimly lit room.

It was already packed, teenage girls clad in extremely short shorts and tight low cut tank tops were either busy texting or pushing and shoving each other trying their hardest to make it to the front of the crowd. Grace perched at the end of the bar stool in the corner, Russ jumping onto the stool next to her before turning to survey the room, as Moose approached the pair.

“What can i get you Gracie” he said as she leant over the bar to give him a hug which he willingly returned, giving Russ a nod as he released her before beginning to wipe the counter with a dish cloth.

“Water please for me Maxxie and erm Russ...?” She trailed off turning to look at her brother who was shooting her a puzzled look.

“Beer” he mumbled, taking out his wallet to flash Moose his ID before he began getting the order ready, Grace grinned at her brother as Moose placed a glass in front of her.

“Put your money away man, Gracie knows that she won’t ever get charged while I’m serving here, I mean anybody that can beat Tim in an arm wrestle, even a girl is my hero” he said waving off the money that Russ was trying to give him as Grace flushed at his words.

“So are you one of Gracie’s old boyfriends? I knew you were a heartbreaker Martinez” Moose laughed as Russell shook his head with a smile on his face.

“No I’m her big brother” he laughed as Moose nodded introducing and shaking Russ’ hand before heading down to the other side of the bar.

“Since when do you talk to boys, let alone be friends with them?” Russ asked bewildered causing her cheeks to turn an even brighter shade of red.

“Erm things have changed Russ” she mumbled, ducking her head as she lifted her hand to tuck stray bits of her hair behind her ear.

“I can tell Daisy” Russ said before pausing and licking his lips nervously before beginning again “I’ve been meaning to talk to you because I really want to you start taking your medication again I mean look at this way you’ve come to Arizona and you’ve changed Day, I mean that in the best way possible, you’ve really come out your shell, you’ve made friends and you seem so happy, do you really want to give all that up even quicker by being stubborn and not taking you pills?”

The words hit Grace like a ton of bricks, she was not expecting anything like that to come from her brother and she didn’t know how to feel about it. Russell had always supported her choices even if it was something he didn’t agree with, he was always there for his sister and now the one thing she wanted to do most and he was dead set against it.

Grace couldn’t form a sentence in her minds to answer him, all the words jumbled up in her head as it fogged up with his words but luckily she was saved of answering the question by the loud screams and cat calls filling the room as The Maine took to the stage.

She giggled slightly as they began playing the first song, her mind instantly clearing, she also felt a little bit guilty of the fact that John was so nervous he wasn’t able to face the crowd instead singing to Pat.

Slowly though once they started the third song he built enough courage to turn around smiling happily as some people who knew the lyrics of Girls Do What They Want sang along with him.

A little less than hour later they were done with their set and Russ was impressed to say the least. But he knew that he needed to get an answer from Grace but he didn’t know how to do it without upsetting her and possibly making her hate him.

“Day have you thought about what I said” Russ asks, as Grace turns to face him beckoning Moose over who places another glass of water in front of her before going to serve all the other customers.

“One month Russ, that’s all I ask for, one more month of living life like a normal teenager where I don’t have to worry about medication or going to the hospital for check up’s, okay? And then when I come home I’ll start doing it all over again, is that a deal?” She asks, taking a sip as he drained the last dregs of his bottle of beer.

Russ thought it over, all ever he wanted in life was to make sure Grace was happy and she was living the way he wanted but he didn’t want for that to compromise his wishes which were to make sure she stayed alive. It was a catch-22 and she knew it, they were both going to lose some way or another.

“Deal” he mumbled, not liking the answer to give but he knew a month wasn’t going to change much and then he would be able to things how they were meant to be back home, somewhere she was safe and he was able to keep an eye out in case anything bad was to happen.

They finished their last drink before standing up, Grace pulling out her purse before pulling out ten dollars, waving Moose over.

“I’ll see you later right?” he questioned as he pulled over the counter to give her a tight hug.

“Yeah I’m going to take Russ there for breakfast tomorrow” Grace asked as Moose glanced up at the clock noticing that it was close to midnight.

“Your tip” she said sternly as he rolled her eyes but grudgingly accepted it, Russ just raised an eyebrow.

“Since he doesn’t let me pay for drink’s I leave a good enough tip that also covers the drink but he somehow always slips the money back to me” she admitted biting her lip as adjusted her top, hitching her bag further up her shoulder before they headed out to the car.