The Bucket List

You Are Beautiful.

“Russ get out of the shower were going to be later” Grace whined banging on the door before checking her watch again, she promised the guys that she would be there for seven and it was already seven-fifteen and she was never late.

“Calm down” Russ mumbled rolling his eyes as he walked past her a hand running through his wet hair.

Grace didn’t answer instead scooping all the things she needed into her arms before walking out the house throwing her belongings in the back seat before climbing in, fingers impatiently tapping on the steering wheel as her brother exited the house like he had all the time in the world.

She tossed him her key’s so he could lock up but even a mundane task like that seemed to take at least five minutes because he got distracted by her many key chains.

Grace didn’t have a good night sleep; she was kept away with all the niggling thoughts about what could happen and what would happen. She hated the fact that nearly everything in her life was picked or planned by someone else and she rarely ever got a say in that matter and she was beginning to get fed up with putting up with it. She didn’t want to be a push over anymore, she wanted to fight back.

Finally he got in the car and they did the short drive to the diner, Grace was beginning to stress and worry. The one thing she hated was when people were late to plans or engagements and it killed her when she was and it wasn’t her fault.

It didn’t bother her that she was late, it was the fact that people would then turn and stare at her when she walked into the room and Grace didn’t want the unnecessary attention.

“So who are we meeting again?” he asked, pulling down the sun visor to fiddle with his hair using the small mirror squinting his eyes slightly.

“The guy’s...You met Max last night he was the bartender at the bar, he is so sweet basically like a big teddy bear and seriously he’s the most adorable boy ever one of my best friends here. Then there’s John he’s dating our Bailey and he’s perfect for her they’re the cutest couple in the world and he reminds me of you the way he looks out for me.” She paused for a moment, slowing the car down before indicating and turning down a side street.

“Then there’s Pat so dorky and innocent basically the little brother I always wanted even though he is the same age as me, I think you’ll like him a lot he’s so funny without even trying. Kennedy is like the boy version of Bailey, I can tell him anything without him judging and he will always give me the best unbiased advice” she continued, slapping Russ’ hand away from the radio as he pouted leaning against the seat, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Then Jared, he doesn’t really speak much but he’s pretty cool and a real good cook too so I’ve been told b his girlfriend Faith, she’s not going to be there today, but she is crazy and wild and always can cheer me up. There’s Nick he’s Halvo’s best friend, you’ve met Halvo, right, Mimi’s godson that’s living with her? Well Nick sings in his band and he pretty much thinks’ that we are going to run away together to get married because he is such a big goof ball” she laughed, lifting her hand up to brush her hair out of her eyes.

“There’s Piper she’s Faiths best friend and she is pretty much the girl version of you, I can’t explain it but she just makes me feel better about myself. Finally Piper’s brother Garrett, he is my best friend here, the only that knows about me and what’s going on, and he’s here for me you know, he reminds me of home” Grace finished quietly with a small nod as Russ pursed his lips together, letting her words wash over him.

Finally they pulled up, the car park was busier than usual but luckily there was one space left, she got out before inwardly groaning bending down to gather all the items from the back seat and shoving them messily into her bag before motioning for Russ to follow her into the diner.

Garrett glared out the window from where he sat inside the diner, his eyes glued onto Grace and the mystery man.

“She never told me she had a boyfriend” he mumbled under his breath immediately catching Pat’s and Kennedy’s attention that turned to look at what was going on.

They walked through the double doors before stopping their eyes taking a few minutes to adjust from the bright sunlight. She looked around, gnawing on her lip as she tried to spot a familiar face, before she felt someone tug at her sleeve.

“I see Max...” he trailed off leaning down to her ear before turning to point at a booth to the right, Grace turned and looked realizing he was right before leading him to meet her friends.

“Hey guys” Grace called, awkwardly giving them all a wave as she headed to the table slipping into the booth next to Nick dumping her belongings onto the table before giving him an awkward side hug. Russ followed suit slipping in behind her before greeting Bailey and Max, the only people he knew.

Every one continued to stare and look at her causing a light blush to erupt on her face as Garrett’s face contorted into a scowl. Grace bit her lip frowning slightly at Garrett’s actions, she didn’t think she had done anything to offend or upset him in any way so she didn’t understand why he was

Garrett continued to glare, he was jealous and he did not know why, it wasn’t like he liked Grace or anything...did he? Even if he did Garrett knew he didn’t stand a chance next to this guy.

He was tall at least 6 foot, his hair had a natural wave to it as though he had just spent the morning surfing on a Californian beach instead of sitting in an Arizonian diner. His arms were strong and defined his muscles straining underneath the simple white v-neck he had thrown on. He was good looking and even Garrett could admit that, strong defined jaw line, piercing green eyes and a coy smile on his face. All of these things caused Garrett’s scowl to deepen.

“Hey Gravy” Nick called finally releasing her from his hug causing everyone else around the table to laugh.

“I can’t believe she lets you call her that” Kennedy laughed from where he sat opposite Russ as Nick pouted.

“Because she loves it, don’t you Gravy Baby?” Nick asked as Grace rolled her eyes before answering.

“Of course I do Santiago!” She answered as he frowned but still continued to place an arm around her shoulders.

“You never told us you had a boyfriend Gracie” Pat exclaimed leaning across the table to poke her in the ribs, Grace turned to look at Russ before they both burst out into laughter, Bailey giggling from where she was curled into John’s side.

The group turned their confused gaze onto Grace, the mysterious boy and then to Bailey their brows furrowing.

“Hey, why are you guy’s laughing? I didn’t make a joke” Pat broke through the laughter his eyes brows knitting together as this caused the pair to laugh even more.

Bailey rolled her eyes at the pair before breaking away from John and turning to Pat “That’s Russ, he’s Grace’s brother” Bailey explained as everyone’s face seemed to relax a little.

“I can’t believe you” Grace began to wheeze through her laughter “thought I would go out with him, that’s just disgusting!” she continued, bent over double as she clutched at her side, the laughter continuing to bubble from her throat.

“Excuse me Daisy, but I think people would disagree with you about me being disgusting” Russ interrupted, sending over a wink to a girl a few tables over who smirked back in return.

“Daisy? I thought your name was Grace” Pat questioned again, biting his lip in concentration.

“It is Pattycakes, but when I was born our parent said that Russ could pick one of my names and he picked Daisy so that’s all he has ever called me” Grace explained, as she averted her gaze to the table beginning to toy with her napkin.

She smiled softly as she began to tear it into shreds, her brother starting a conversation with Kennedy and Max about the new ‘Iron Man’ movie that had just come out.

Grace continued to shred the napkin, biting her lip subconsciously as she concentrated, looking up slightly as she felt someone eyes staring at her.

She smiled softly upon seeing Garrett staring down at her, a small half smile gracing his lips that widened when his eyes locked with hers.

“So what are your plans for the rest of the summer?” Nick asked as he pulled Grace closer to him, swiftly rubbing his hand on her head as he gave her a wicked smile.

“We have a tour coming up, a short one, about four weeks” John said with a smile, as Nick nodded Grace felt her heart stop.

They were leaving? Why didn’t they tell her this? We’re they just going to drop this on her last minute with no chance to say goodbye?
She could her eye brows furrowing as her mind continued to whirl, different questions popping into her head, each more extreme than the last.

“What about you Bailey?” Nick questioned as Grace turned her head back to the conversation, her hand now tightly gripping her bag.

“I’m tagging along with the boy’s, you know, making sure to keep them in line” as soon as the words fell out of her mouth Grace stood up, bag hanging from her hand.

“I need to use the bathroom” she mumbled, climbing over her brother and exiting the booth scurrying over to the toilet, as soon as she reached a stall she put the seat down collapsing as she tried to steady her breathing.

She knew she was being ridiculous but she couldn’t help it, this wasn’t what she expected, why hadn’t Garrett told her about the tour?

‘Carrie-ann is such a slut’ ‘Missy Demiato had sex with Mr Rollings’ ‘Frannie is a whore, she’ll sleep with anyone’ was scrawled on the door, the more she read the more ridiculous they sounded.

She opened her bag, rooting around before her hand clasped the pen, pulling it out and uncapping it, thinking for a couple of minutes on what exactly to write.

Finally she stood up, looking in the mirror to check her reflection before leaving the bathroom, her cubicle door still swung open with ‘You are beautiful’ Scrawled in gigantic letters over the insults.