The Bucket List

S'mores.

Grace woke up the next day with a smile on her face, after she had spent the previous day talking to Lucy she had felt a plan forming in her head when she realised how perfect she was for Pat.

This was why she was now trying to work out on how to get the pair to casually meet, fall in love and then get married.

She got out of bed and climbed downstairs before laying on the couch her blanker wrapped tight around her as she flicked through the channels before landing on The Princess Diaries.

Although the film was towards the end Grace knew every word since she used to watch it practically every day as a child wishing that on her 16th birthday her Grandma would tell her she was the heir of Genovia. Unrealistic, but a girl could hope.

“Michael!” She shouted at the screen as the Pizza guy turned up, delivering him the M’n’M pizza spelling out ‘ Sorry’ “Mia loves you go dance with her at the fancy ball”

She stood up when the film had ended, wiping the tears out of her eyes over how sweet it all was, and headed into the kitchen sighed slightly as the phone rang.

“Hello?” she asked, opening the fridge door and browsing the shelves.

“Grace honey it’s your mom” the familiar voice sand down the phone causing Grace’s lips to pull into a smile “How is everything? Are you enjoying your summer?”

“Hey Ma, everything is fine Bailey’s been taking care of me while Rissa has been on her book tour and I really am enjoying summer” she replied the smile evident in her voice as she picked out an apple taking a hefty bite.

“So I’ve heard, when Russ got back he was telling us all the stories of you and your friends” Her mum practically gushed down the line causing Grace to feel like she had finally accomplished something for her Mom to be proud of.

“Yeah they are all pretty great, so any particular reason you called?” Grace continued, turning to leave the kitchen and heading into her room starting to get ready for the rest of the day.

“Yes sweetie we just wanted to wish you a happy birthday. We never expected our baby to turn eighteen” her mum explained, her voice chocking up slightly as she got towards the end.

“Oh thanks Ma, I didn’t actually realise it was my birthday” Grace chuckled pulling a pair of skinny jeans and a tank top out of her wardrobe, before balancing her phone against her shoulder as she started to get changed.

“I can believe that Gracie with the amount of fun I’m sure you’re having. I miss you sweetie” Her mum retorted her words pulling on Grace’s heart and making her homesick, something she hadn’t felt all summer and now the guilt hit her.

“I miss you Ma” she choked out, trying to hold back the tears that were threatening to fall from her eyes, she exited her room and headed downstairs to see Bailey waiting for her.

“Ma I think Bailey is waiting for me” she explained down the line not really wanting to finish talking to the conversation as just talking to her Mom over the phone made her feel like she was home.

“Okay Honey, tell Bailey I said Hello” her mom gushed down the phone causing Grace to smile “I love you Kiddo”

“I love you Ma” Grace mumbled before ending the call and slipping the phone into her pocket, turning to look at the older girl.

“You ready Gray?” Bailey asked, a look of confusion dancing across Grace’s face unsure of what she was actually ready for, “We’re going out remember?” She continued as Grace nodded blindly trying to act as if she knew this all along, the smile immediately jumping back to her cousin’s face.

The drive was filled with Bailey’s usual chatter as she kept Grace updated on everything that had happened in the last few days that Grace had been withdrawing herself from the group.

If Bailey could tell that her cousin wasn’t having fun then she didn’t let Grace know instead keeping the conversation flowing even though she was only getting one syllable answers in reply.

When they finally pulled up at the destination Bailey finally shut her mouth letting the silence lull between them before Bailey sighed cracking the door open and stepping outside the car waiting for the younger girl to follow suit.

Grace’s face immediately cracked into a smile as she saw the sign informing them where they were one of the places they always wanted to go.

The day was long, Bailey dragging her cousin round from place to place in order to try and give her the best birthday possible. When the sun began to set the pair climbed back into the car and started the drive.

“Did you have fun today?” Bailey asked anxiously, taking quick glances at the younger girl, trying to get clues on whether or not she had succeeded on her quest.

“Bails it was great” Grace yawned, stretching her arms above her head as she curled her feet under her and leaned her head against the window, allowing herself to drift slowly asleep.

“Grace” she heard Bailey whisper, shaking her shoulder, at what seemed like only five minutes later.

“What?” Grace asked groggily, whipping at her eyes before turning to look out her window, her eyebrows furrowing when she saw a woods outside of the window instead of their house.

“Shh, come on!” Bailey exclaimed, her face cracking into a grin as she jumped out of the car and headed to the entrance of the woods waiting for her cousin to follow her.

“What’s going on Bailey” Grace questioned as she followed the older girl, unsure on what else to do. Bailey either didn’t hear the questions or chose to ignore them leaving the pair in silence other than the rustle of the leaves and the cracking of twigs.

“We’re here” Bailey murmured ten or so minutes later, pushing some branches aside and stepping through the gap motioning for Grace to follow.

Her emerald eyes widened when she saw the numerous tents set out in the clearing, a small camp fire burning away in the centre.

“What’s going on?” Grace asked again, tearing her eyes from the sight and turning to look at her Bailey who was just grinning at her, reaching out to grab her hand before running to the tents, dragging her bewildered cousin behind her.

As they got closer the sound got louder, the giggling and laughing, the shouting and the music. Voice’s that were familiar to her.

“We’re here!” Bailey called out and moments later there was rustling as people emerged from the tents and grinning at the pair as they assembled themselves near the campfire.

“What are you guy’s doing here?” Grace managed to choke out, running a hand through her hair as she tried to keep up with what was going on.

“We’re going camping for your birthday silly!” Kennedy exclaimed with a grin while reaching behind Jared to grab a pack of sausages.

“Yeah we didn’t know what to do and then Garrett came up with this idea and planned it all” Piper added as her brother blushed rolling his eyes and giving his sister a push.

“Thanks guys! I don’t know what to say...” Grace trailed off as her eyes began to well up with tears. She honestly didn’t know why she was crying she just felt so touched with the generosity of the people that she knew she could know call friends.

“Well how about you say we can eat!” Pat chirped up causing everyone else to laugh and grab a hot dog.

Hour’s had passed and Grace could honestly say that this was one of the best birthday’s she had ever had. The smile had never once left her face and she didn’t even have to fake it. The people she was surrounded with she knew she loved and that they loved her. Grace felt like she belonged to something.

“So did you have fun?” A voice asked as Grace continued to stare at the marshmallow she was roasting on the fire.

“Yes it was great, thank you for planning everything Garrett. It really meant a lot” she said with a smile, turning to look at the boy who had managed in a couple of weeks to become a big part of her life.

He just shrugged a small smile playing on his face as he grabbed a marshmallow and popped it on a stick allowing it to turn a golden brown before he smushed it between a pair of crackers.

“What are friends for Gray? I just wanted you to have a birthday you would remember and just think this way I managed to help you tick off a few items off the list” Garrett shrugged, with a small smile, wrapping Grace into his arms and pulling her into a tight hug.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry its been a while.