The Bucket List

Garrett.

It didn’t take Grace long to get used to the boys, they were around the house often, since it turned out that Bailey was dating John O’Callaghan.

After getting used to letting the boy’s in her life and getting used to Bailey being there again, Grace started to open starting slowly at first.

One boy however she seemed to be drawn to, the one with messy copper hair and a nose ring who used to be her best friend. Not the usual type that Grace found was cute, heck she had never had a boyfriend before.

“Not drinking?” a voice asked, breaking her thoughts, Grace pushed her brown hair out of her eyes before looking up at the voice.

“No, I can’t because of the med-“ She began before stopping, eyes moving to the floor hoping the boy was to drunk or uninterested to follow what she was saying.

“Because of what?” he asked, eyebrows puckering in the middle.

Grace sighed not really wanting to discuss this instead deciding to change the subject.

“Long time, no see then? It’s been what 2 or 3 years?” she questioned turning to face the boy that was previously occupying her thoughts.

“Four. Last time we saw each other we were fourteen” he said shortly, tipping the neck of his beer up, his eyes scanning the horizon.

“Oh yeah, so how have you been Garrett?” She asked, tearing her eyes away from him, praying that he didn’t notice that she was staring.

“You never called. You never emailed. Hell, you could or wrote me a letter. You promise to stay in touch Gray didn’t that summer mean anything to you? Didn’t I mean anything to you?” he said, turning to face her, his eye brows knitting in the middle as he bit his lip softly waiting for an answer.

“Gare, it’s not that you know that summer meant a lot to me, and that you meant a lot to me, you knew that you were my first real best friend, the one I shared everything with. It’s just when I got home everything changed, I didn’t have time to live in the memories and think about the past. I had to think about the future think about how everything was going to pan out. How it was going to affect everyone, how it was going to be made easier. I wish I stayed in touch with you, and I hope you can forgive me for letting you down” Grace finished shortly turning her head away from him eyes scanning the crowd stopping on a cute couple cuddling on the other end of a lawn.

“What changed Gray? You could have told me, you know I would have always been here, I still am” he finished quietly her ears having to strain to hear him.

“Gare I didn’t want to tell you like this, I don’t want anyone to know. But I know I can trust you and that you would take this secret to the grave” she stopped shortly, biting her lip as she stared into his eyes.

“Garrett I’m dying” she stated finally looking him in the eye, as his face crumpled.

“You’re dying? You can’t be Gracie! You’re 18 fucking years old! You got to be kidding! This is some sick joke. This isn’t funny Grace!” Garrett mumbled, his voice rising witch each sentence as it he went along. He jumped to his feet, running a hand through his already ruffled hair.

“Garrett” she said softly, her heart aching to know the pain she caused.

“Grace Daisy Martinez you tell me right now that this is a joke” he stated, kneeling in front of the girl, placing a hand on either side of her face, making her look into his eyes.

“It's not; I found out when I got back from that summer. It’s why I didn’t get in touch; I was too busy with the treatment and figuring out what was going to happen. I needed to find out how much of a future I had left. This is why I didn’t come back to Arizona the next summer. I didn’t want to make promises I couldn’t keep.” She whispered quietly, unable to tear her eyes away from his.

“How long?” he whispered, the question she had been dreading to hear, the words always stabbing at her when someone uttered the words.

“Not long enough” she spoke softly letting the word float in the air.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment?