Status: rough draft.

Encoding Love

Cached Out

WALKING INTO LOLLAND SOFTWARE the next morning was an entirely different experience for Zorah.

For one, the receptionist, Simone, didn’t greet her with her usual enthusiastic demeanor. Secondly, almost everyone on the office floor regarded her with fleeting glances and evident frowns. They must have heard how she demolished any partnership with Klein Technologies.

When Zorah made it to her quaint, little office, she thought she had avoided any and all antagonizing co-workers. Her perception was wrong when Helena rushed into the room with a smog of pungent perfume surrounding her.

“You’ve gotten us into some seriously deep shit, Zorah,” she seethed upon entering.

Helena did little to keep her voice down and Zorah hurried to close the door so she could be further denounced privately. When she turned, she found the blonde sitting on her desk, uncaring to all the small gadgets and items organized on the surface.

“I knew one day you’d bring down my career, but I had no idea you could get us fired,” the woman huffed.

Zorah’s eyes widen. “Fired?”

It was the first time she considered being terminated. Reprimanded, put on probation, possibly being demoted were plausible consequences. She never believed the situation was serious enough to where she would be fired.

“Is that what Moira is saying? She’s letting us go?” The worry and nervousness was evident in Zorah’s tone.

Helena shrugged, crossing her arms under her chest. “I don’t know but it’s possible with the stunt you pulled. Nathan Klein basically runs this entire industry, and he could go after the company. It would be a logical solution for Moira to get rid of you. I just hope she see’s none of this being my fault.”

“Get over yourself.” Zorah snapped. “ No one is losing their job. I’m sure there’s a way to pacify Moira.”

“You better hope so because she wants to speak with both of us in her office - now.”

Iridescent hazel eyes regard both woman in a painstaking matter. Deep golden skin looked radiant underneath the sun’s glow filtering in through the office windows. A short pixie cut hairstyle framed a slim, and still naturally youthful face.

Moira Holland was often times, an amiable and driven leader with a sense of humor and humility. She inspired her employees and was remarkable at creating trust and support in the office. Her guidance and coaching was legendary in such a competitive industry.

For a young, twenty-seven year old like Zorah, there was no better company that she would rather work for where she didn’t have to sell her soul to create innovating software. But as she and Helena sat before their boss, she feared she would no longer have a place at Lolland.

“Let me start by saying, yesterday’s demonstration was brilliant,” she stated in a firm voice. Helena and Zorah looked at the older woman puzzled. “I was very proud of your work. Element exceeded every expectation I had.”

Moira’s words were comforting. Nathan Klein had called their software a copycat to his somewhat functioning model. His words had served as fuel for Zorah to revisit her initial plans and make more improvements. She had high hopes for Element and Moira validated every moment spent working on it.

Then her tone turned accusatory as she said, “With that being said, Mr. Klein did not find Element to his taste. As crippling as it is that he could not appreciate the aptitude of your work, it does not mean you point out the holes in his own work.”

Zorah groaned internally. She merely wanted to prove to the arrogant man that his work was not above theirs. He had a larger platform that allowed him wider release and the ability to obtain millions in profit, but it did not make his software better.

Regardless of her reasons, she had to pay for her actions. “I sincerely apologize for the disgraceful way I acted yesterday. My behavior did not represent Lolland in the best way and I wish to extend the same courtesy to Mr. Klein. I also want to apologize to Helena, for jeopardizing our shared endeavors. It was completely unprofessional.”

There was a smirk on Helena’s face that irritated Zorah, but she was more concerned with convincing Moira she was truly apologetic.

“I’m glad to hear you say that because Mr. Klein has requested a meeting with you Thursday morning.”

Zorah and Helena sighed in relief. They were given another chance with the technology inventing CEO. She was positive she wouldn’t do anything to offend the man. In fact, she would let Helena take care of the entire discussion.

Moira smiled for the first time since they entered the room. “I recommend you prepare yourself, Zorah. Mr. Klein requested a one-on-one and I do expect for you to persuade him into a partnership.”

Confused, Zorah asked, “What about Helena?”

“I should be there too,” Helena followed in the same sentiment.

Moira suddenly looked weary. “I agree with you both wholeheartedly and I have already expressed the same concerns to Mr. Klein myself but he is adamant that in order to continue forward, Helena would have to be removed from the project.”

A heavy silence followed, both women were shocked about the turn of events until a furious voice filled the room.

“You can’t be serious?” Helena demanded.

“Moira - me and Helena created this project together. I can’t do this without her,” Zorah said more calmly than her partner.

Helena crossed her arms with anger evident upon her face. “I can’t believe this! She messes up and I get penalized?”

Though Zorah wasn’t fond of Helena most times, she had to admit, the situation was unfair. “She’s right. Is there an agreement we could come to?” she pleaded.

The older woman shook her head. “I’m afraid not. This is what Mr. Klein wants and I’m in no obligation to defy him. Everyone will benefit from this deal ladies and some sacrifices have to made.”

Later, Zorah was pacing in her office when a knock sounded on her door. She was hesitant, fearing it was Moira with more news or even worse it would be Helena. She was definitely not ready to face her again after this morning.

Nonetheless, she called for whomever to enter and was pleasantly surprised to see Eric Simms smiling face, but even his beautiful presence couldn’t clear the dreary fog that clouded her mind.

“Congratulations. Everyone on the floor is talking about you.” He stepped in, closing the door and crossed the room to where she was standing. “Good things this time. This morning wasn’t looking too great for you.”

Zorah smile sadly. Yes, things had turned around for her before lunch time but at what cost? The current state of the situation didn’t bode well with her and she started to pace again.

“Is there something the matter, Zorah?” Eric came into her path, his green eyes staring at her intently.

“Helena was removed from the project.” She replied meekly.

Understanding crossed his handsome features. “Let me guess, you think it’s your fault and the roles should be reversed? You should be the one sitting out.”

Eric hit the nail right on the head. “It’s not really fair. I mean this entire project was both our ideas and removing Helena when I messed up, doesn’t seem right. I’m trying to think of a way to fix it.” Zorah huffed.

“Now hold on. I know this isn’t what anyone wants but let’s be honest. If Helena was in your same position, she wouldn’t be concerned. She’d be drawing up plans and walking around this place like she owned it.”

“But-“

He looked at her sternly. “No – Listen, Zorah. It’s out of your control so stop dwelling and move forward. Come up with an entire new idea that’s all you. Leave Element and Helena behind and do something that’s going to make Mr. Klein pleased with his decision to come back.”

Zorah sighed. He made it sound so easy. She didn’t even know where to begin creating a new software. All of her ideas and inspiration had been put into Element and she was hesitant of scraping it completely and starting fresh.

“It just doesn’t feel right,” she expressed. “And I don’t have enough time to piece together an entirely new concept.”

“Stop making excuse on why you can’t do this. No one deserves this opportunity more than you. Take it and run with it.”

Finding some comfort in Eric words, she nodded in agreement. She was still uncertain but there really wasn’t anything she could do.

“Thanks, for talking some sense into me.”

“Anytime,” he winked.

When her work day was over, Zorah retreated to her midtown studio apartment. It wasn’t grand by any means but she had the essentials and a few pleasantries. Stainless steel appliances, marble counters, hardwood flooring and high, exposed ceilings. She had beautiful skyline views of Manhattan from over-sized windows.

Her apartment had limited space but she found cubicle bookshelves served as great room dividers and storage spaces. Sheer white drapes added a nice effect to her bedroom area as well as privacy. Shelving and hook units were efficient in keeping things neat and organized. With the help of Ikea, Zorah was able to maximize her small living space.

After a quick dinner, she got down to business. There wasn’t enough time between tonight and tomorrow morning but Zorah set to work on creating a new software concept for Mr. Klein.

She felt it was only right to create something new and of her own since Helena was dismissed from the last idea. After her conversation with Eric, Zorah spent the better part of the day brainstorming. Now, it would take her the entire night to design each piece of her new system.

Supplied with enough coffee to last her till morning, she created a variety of models and diagrams. Normally, she would instruct programmers at Lolland to write the code for her but Mr. Klein didn’t give her enough time to do so.

Somewhere during the night, she took a two hour nap. When she woke she knew there was absolutely no way she could finish writing the code, test it out and do all the necessary things to present it in a complete manner.

It was 7 in the morning which left an hour for her to get dressed and ready for work. Zorah tried her hardest to pack months of development into one day but she couldn’t do it. She hoped when she showed her rough design to Nathan Klein, that he would be lenient with her.

Today, Zorah didn’t want to look crazy when she met the man. She didn’t want to look like someone who smelled of coffee and looked lifeless from lack of sleep.

She showered, styled her natural dark brown hair into a braided half up-do style and moisturized her skin. She paired an ivory silk blouse with a plum-colored tweed skirt, opaque tights and suede ankle boots.

What would Helena think of this outfit? She asked herself.

She would hate it of course. Zorah always wore black, gray and white when she did happen to integrate some color it was either a dark burgundy color like her skirt or navy blue. Helena would say she looked dreadful and boring.

Her advice would be to lose the tights, wear some accessories, add some printed blouses and bright skirts to her wardrobe. Zorah needed to straighten her hair and wear contacts because her eyeglasses weren’t doing her any favors. And maybe skip the ranch dressing on her salad because she was a little round in the face.

If Helena truly had her way, Zorah would be a blonde hair, blue-eyed woman. She put on her glasses and said to hell with Helena Pierce because she was going to amaze Nathan Klein without her and with her modest appearance.

When she walked into Lolland Software that morning, Zorah was happy to see the receptionist smiling and acknowledging her again.

“Good morning, Simone.” She greeted.

“Good morning.” The woman returned. “You are just on time.”

Zorah paused, her brows furrowing together. “On time for what?” she asked.

Simone blinked and frowned in confusion. “Mr. Klein just arrived. He’s waiting in your office.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I really appreciate all the recommendations and subscriptions! Special thanks to the dalliance. and TheSatanicWar for wonderful comments. 1 || 2