Status: rough draft.

Encoding Love

Rebooting

THERE WAS AN IMMENSE PRESSURE sitting on her chest. Zorah was nearly hyperventilating on her way to her office. 9 o’clock – She was sure she confirmed a meeting for that time. She should’ve had an hour to prepare for him, but instead she was speeding down the corridor because Nathan Klein had arrived early.

When she turned down the corridor, Helena stood across the hall as if she was waiting for her. Her slender frame was leaned against the door frame of the office parallel to her own. Zorah noted that for a woman who was dismissed from her own project, she certainly looked smug.

“Don’t mind me. I’m just here to see this entire thing blow up in your face,” she uttered arrogantly.

Zorah attempted not to bristle under her words. “Keep it up, Helena. I’m starting to think your nasty little attitude is the reason Mr. Klein isn’t in your office.” She bit out vehemently. “But please continue to stand out here alone while I secure this company’s greatest partnership.”

She watched as Helena’s expression soured before she walked into her office, closing the door with more force than needed. Good riddance. Zorah did not have the time nor the patience to deal with her scathing comments and painted red smirk any further this morning.

Wasting enough time on the woman, she pushed open her office door revealing the tall and impenetrable man that was Nathan Klein. He was dressed smartly in an all-black ensemble while his obsidian hair was styled into a clean cut.

It was almost as if she intruded on his privacy. His presence commanded acknowledgement and submission. He hovered near the small window she had behind her desk. There was hardly a view, but he seemed thoroughly intrigued. Looking down there was the busy streets of Downtown Brooklyn. Across the street was another tall brick structure and if she craned her head far enough to the right, she could catch a glimpse of the Brooklyn Bridge.

Zorah knew a man like Mr. Klein didn’t travel to Brooklyn often. Why would he when his headquarters was a sleek skyscraper on 5th Ave and he lived in a luxurious condo in the Upper East Side. Crossing the bridge and leaving Manhattan to visit one of the less grander boroughs of the city didn’t seem like something he did often – or at all.

“Mr. Klein, I apologize for my tardiness. I must’ve been mistaken about our meeting time.” She addressed as she approached him.

He turned to her then. His eyes were soft in their color as were gray pearls. As with their first encounter, he regarded her with little importance. Zorah figured she would have to get use to his standoffish behavior. After all, she was no one to him, but a small-time software developer while he was the single greatest thing to ever happen to technology.

“You have not made a mistake, Ms. Rhodes.” He expressed in an apathetic tone.

The room turned silent. She looked to him expectantly, but if Zorah thought Mr. Klein was going to offer an explanation to his early arrival, she wasn’t going to receive one.

“Right. Well if you would like to take a seat, we can get started.”

Zorah glanced at him warily as he moved to take a seat before her desk. She felt intimidated in her own office. She would not have been surprised if he had actually sat at her desk in order to maintain some sort of control.

She went to task getting all the necessary items for her presentation. Normally her arrangements were done digitally like on a computer and projector, but today she was old fashion. She had flow charts, diagrams and drawings all written out and printed on paper.

Frankly, she was nervous and she was sure that Mr. Klein could tell. To make matters worse, her design was somewhat incomplete – even though it was well thought out - and she was presenting alone without the help of her over-the-top, but results-guaranteed co-worker Helena. Not to mention that even though this was a business dealing, Zorah was still a woman and it did not pass her that she was in a confined space with a devilishly handsome man.

“Firstly, I want to apologize for my misconduct yesterday,” she started. “It was not my intention-“

Nathan held up his hand to silence her. “I am not concerned with things of the past, Ms. Rhodes.”

It seemed Mr. Klein was also very dismissive. Zorah did not let his lack of manners bother her as she quickly moved on.

“Right.” She quipped pathetically as she shifted from foot to foot.

She had once read in an article or some book that standing while another sat showed power and dominance, but under Nathan’s unwavering gaze, it was better to sit before she started shaking like a wind-swept leaf.

“Then I hope it’s in your favor if we leave Element behind and carry-on with an entirely new concept.”

Again, Nathan was rather unresponsive. In fact he looked entirely disinterested, but she continued with her presentation. There was no trace of intrigue. His gaze was cryptic and distant. At one point, Zorah expected him to interrupt her, but he remained silent until the very end. She wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or not.

Admittedly, she felt forgettable. Zorah Rhodes, the girl who would rather spend her time browsing through tech blogs than having a drink at a trendy club. She always felt unremarkable, but she believed her passion for all things technical could lead to something significant for herself. She wanted to make her presence profound in the industry.

Perhaps that was the reason she believed she needed Helena for such an important project. Helena wasn’t forgettable and together, they could take the world by storm. But she was alone in this now. There was no Helena to dazzle Mr. Klein. It was just her and a poorly put together presentation, but Zorah prayed that she was enough.

Silence filled the room once she was finish. For the longest moment, nothing was said as she looked at him and he glanced over her minimal work. Nathan sat, one leg crossed over his knee and his fingers at his chin in a thoughtful manner.

Zorah wanted to know what the man was thinking or at least for him to break his cool for only a second. She couldn’t decipher anything.

“How long have you been developing this idea?” he questioned suddenly.

“Since yesterday.” She confessed. “I thought it was only right to create a new product of my own instead of taking full credit for software I created with my partner.”

Zorah did not expect Mr. Klein to understand or compromise with her, but she did not expect for him to stand to his feet as if to dismiss her.

She stood too. Panic and a sense of urgency coursed through her then. Everything she had feared was playing out before her. Zorah could already hear Helena’s voice saying, “without me, you never really had a chance.”

“Ms. Rhodes,” he acknowledged, his deep timbre breaking through her thoughts.

Nathan tilted his head as if to bid her goodbye, before striding out her office. That was it. There was no, “thank you for your time,” or “we’ll be in contact.” There wasn’t even a polite handshake. He was gone and Zorah was sure he took any hopes of signing a contract with him.

Maybe if there was more time, she tried to reason with herself. If she had more time to put together a solid concept than perhaps she could’ve sold Nathan Klein. Or perhaps she should’ve continued her work on Element after all. She would never know now.

A knock came to her door suddenly and then opened without Zorah’s permission.

“I need you in my office - now,” Moira said firmly before marching off.

Zorah sighed. This was it. She was done. All her ambitions dashed away because of the indifferent and hard-pressed Nathan Klein.

“Close the door and have a seat, Zorah,” came Moira’s command when she entered her office.

She did as she was told before taking a seat before Moira. She looked as if she had a lot to say but didn’t know where to begin. It couldn’t have been too hard to say, “you’ve really messed up now.”

“Mr. Klein’s office just called me,” she started.

Zorah cringed. The call was sooner than she expected. There was no doubt in her mind that Nathan had berated her entire presentation. She figured Moira was disappointed to have trusted her with such an significant task. She tried to keep her tears at bay as the older woman continued.

“He has decided he would like to move forward with your work. His team is currently drafting a contract.”

A million apologies and excuses were on the tip of Zorah’s tongue. She was on the verge of spilling them all, but stopped abruptly after Moira’s words.

“What?” she asked unbelieving.

Moira smiled. “Congratulations, Zorah. You have single handedly obtained the contract with Klein Technologies. I think it is only right to promote you to lead systems architect.”

“I don’t understand. My work was barley sensible and that’s stating it lightly. I was not at my best. Mr. Klein waltzed out of my office without a single word. The entire meeting was in a disarray. There must be a mistake.”

“Mr. Klein makes no mistakes.” Moira said. “Despite what you think about your meeting, he liked what he saw. You should be proud. He is not an easy man to please.”

Zorah returned to her office in a daze. She quickly closed the door, leaning her entire frame against it as a long and overdue sigh escaped from her lips. She was waiting for the moment when everything turned out to not be real.

Then moments past and nothing happened.

She went to her desk and retrieved her mobile phone from her small leather tote. In seconds, she pressed in the digits needed to make a long distance phone call. She waited patiently through the shrill ringing of the dial tone until it stopped abruptly.

“How’s my sweet girl doing?” a soft and gentle voice asked through the speaker.

Zorah smiled, her mood already lifting. Sometimes, all it took was the sound of his voice. “I’m doing well, Dad.”

“Is everything all right?”

“Yeah, everything is fine.” She paused, trying to find the right words to say what she needed. “Do you remember that big project I told you about a few weeks ago?” She stopped again to allow him to respond. “It all worked out, but because of it I won’t be able to visit you anytime soon.”

There was a short break of silence except for the sound of her father’s labored breathing. “Oh sweet girl, don’t worry about me. I know how important work is to you.”

The corners of Zorah’s mouth turned down. “You’re more important to me, Dad. As soon as I have time, I will visit, okay?”

“I know you will, but I understand. Take your time. I’m not going anywhere.”

Zorah talked to her father a while longer, feeling an enormous need to travel to her hometown in Connecticut to see him. Neal Rhodes was a retired navy veteran who lived alone. Naturally, she worried about him. She ended the call, promising to send money for things he might need: groceries, medicine, and warm clothes for the upcoming fall season.

“Am I interrupting?”

Standing in her office doorway was Eric. His green eyes were shining like two jade colored gems beneath his golden hair. She stowed her mobile phone away, but noted to call her father again later.

“Sorry for not knocking,” he added sheepishly.

From his eager smile, Zorah could tell he was excited about something. “It’s fine. Please, come in.” She beaconed with a wave of her hand and he seated himself before her desk.

“I just wanted to be the first to congratulate you on your amazing venture with Klein Technologies and becoming lead architect,” Eric beamed.

Zorah’s cheeks redden. “Thank you,” she said bashfully. “I mean if it wasn’t for your encouragement, I don’t think I would’ve gotten this far.”

“Don’t give me any credit. You did it and no one else.”

Zorah was too embarrassed by Eric’s praise to say anything further. He had always been supportive and her only ally in the company, but she still found herself blushing under his every endearment.

She noticed then that he was holding two bottles of green tea in his hands. “What’s the tea for?”

“Well, we have to celebrate. It’s not a proper drink, but since we’re at the office and I know you like green tea...”

Eric placed the bottles on her desk, opening one and handing it to her. Zorah’s heart soared, even if it was a small gesture. He opened his own bottle before holding it up in the air.

“To Zorah, the best developer in the firm,” he cheered.

She laughed before they lightly knocked they’re plastic bottles together and enjoyed a soothing taste of tea.

“Thank you. I wish there was something I could do for you in return. Your support has meant the world to me.”

Eric leaned forward, his usual charming and easy-going attitude turning more serious. “There is one thing you could do.”

Zorah arched one of her dark eyebrows. Of course she would help him with any favor, but his sudden change in demeanor made her cautious. “Oh and what is that?”

“Have dinner with me?” he rushed out.

She stilled. Certainly, she had gone to lunch with the man and enjoyed his company during a coffee break, but those times were casual and completely innocent. Dinner sounded as if he was offering her more than a friendly meal.

“I would really like to treat you to something better than tea from a vending machine.” He smiled despite how nervous he was.

“Uh - yes. Okay,” Zorah mumbled, uncertain. She cleared her throat, trying to regain some strength into her voice. “I would like that.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry if this chapter is rushed. Thank you for reading.