Now What?

When is the Wedding?

"Reed!" Turning around, I saw Mark jogging towards me. We were in the middle of the east parking lot of the school, and when he reached me, he asked, "Can we talk?"

"Sure," I said reluctantly.

"Can we go to your car?"

"Um...sure," I said again, getting a creepy feeling and thinking, rapist! Giggling slightly, I turned and we walked towards my crappy little truck. Once inside, I began, "So what's up?"

My driver and passenger seats weren't separated by a console, so he slid over and placed his hand over mine. "I'm really sorry that I can't treat you right during school. If anyone found out... Not only would Sydney kill me, but I'd be kicked off the team."

"Mark, I don't know what you're talking about; just leave me alone, and everything will be good. You can ignore me all you want. I don't care, okay?"

Looking up from the steering wheel, I could see hurt in his blue eyes. "I'm sorry, Reed, I—"

"Look, I don't need this—"

"Please just hear me out this one time. I'm not trying to lead you on. When I was partnered with you in Pre-Cal, I knew I really was interested in you. I had been thinking about you, but I know you must think I'm an absolute jerk. I really am sorry. If you hate me, I totally understand."

Overwhelmed and unsure who the hell Sydney was, I couldn't speak. He sighed. "I wanted so badly to apologize earlier and help you pick up your books, even though I was hurt then, but Kevin was watching and I--"

"What do you mean you were hurt?"

He hesitated, but finally said, "I saw that Mason kid kiss you. He's a jackass and you deserve better."

"What makes you think he's any worse than you?" I snapped furiously at him. I mean, damn dude, cocky much?

"I know him, Reed. I've known him a very long time. I know he has a birth mark on his left ankle. I wish I knew you like I know him."

There was a long pause until I mumbled, "My birthmark is on my back."

His smile was remarkable, and he gave my hand a squeeze. "One talk with you and you're already making me late to practice." He shook his head disapprovingly. "What am I going to do with you?" We laughed and he dismissed himself, cracking the passenger door open, but he stopped and looked at me for a moment. "We should hang out this weekend."

"Um... I can't. I'm busy."

Surprisingly, he didn't ask with what. "How about after school tomorrow?"

I pondered this for a moment and nodded. Mom wouldn't care about that. He actually left then, and when I got home, it was already after 4.

"What are you home so late for?" Mom's voice questioned me from the kitchen as I walked in, scaring me shitless.

"Why are you home so early?" I walked into the kitchen and she tried to scowl at me but a soft laugh bubbled up and I said, "Mark talked to me after school." She smiled an Oh-my-God-this-should-be-good smile, and I told her about him running into me and just ignoring me. She made a face at that, but when I told her he had said he was interested in me, she gasped dramatically.

"So when's the wedding?"

Glaring at her, I mumbled, "Never." She continued her childish giggles until I said, "But there's this guy, Mason. He's got a farm a few hours away from here and he invited me to come with him. He even gave me his number, and he's openly gay. He's... pretty cool."

"Oooh, tell me more."

I laughed. "You're such a little five-year old." She only continued to stare at me expectantly, so I proceeded with more tales of the day.

_______________________________________________________

"Mason wasn't here today, was he?"

"Wow. The first thing you mention is that asshole. We've got some things to work on."

“What the hell is that supposed to mean? It was just a question.” Jeesh, he needed to calm down toward Mason. I mean, he was a damn nice guy. And fucking hot, too. “Just leave him the fuck alone.”

He let out a quick gust of air, but then took a deep breath and said calmly, “He invited you to his farm didn’t he?” I stared at him. “He walked up to you, kissed you, and randomly asked you to go to his farm with him. Then he gave you his number, right? Well he does it every damn time. He did it to me. I never went to his farm because he… he…dumped me that Friday night. Alright? Is that good enough for you? He’s a player. He was with another boy the next week.”

I believed him, but some part of me still wanted to go, and still wanted to kiss him again. I still wanted to get to know him.

“And you don’t care. You think, ‘He might be different now.’ No, don’t fall for it, Reed. I thought the exact same thing, but he did to me what he also did to Danny and Josh. I just knew he’d be different, that I was more special to him than they were. But nope, he got what he wanted and then left. Please, Reed, don’t fall for him. He will break your heart.”

Shock was the only emotion that I recognized. Could Mason Marley, sweet and super-soft lipped Mason, really have done all that?

“Alright. We’ll quit talking about him. Do you want to go to the movies, bowling, or out to eat.”

“Whatever you want. I’m starving.”

“He smiled. “Alrighty, then we’ll go somewhere. Do you have anywhere specific that you’d like to go?” When I shook my head, he smiled. “Well, I do, and I’m not going to tell you where we’re going.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments please? And subscribe if you like.
Who do you like? Mark or Mason??