Passed Out on Your Lawn

Empty with you?

My shift at work was long and dull apart from sneaking chocolate in the back. See I barely graduated, which should come as no surprise considering my efforts, and I also had yet to discover what career I wanted if I was to ever want one. So I was stuck waitressing for now. That’s one of the reasons I was fuming at Max for being an ass about pole dancing. Pole was the only thing I loved and was good at. Music ruled my life that’s for sure but I was hopeless at playing any instrument or singing so being in a band was not on the cards. The technical side of shows and producing music felt like more brainwork than I was capable of. I still helped the guys with their band now they’d started playing small shows but a roadie’s life was unquestionably not for me.

Dakota! Phone!” Lisa called from the office.

I momentarily choked on the chocolate bar before spitting the mouthful into the bin, followed by the wrapper and wiping my mouth with the back of my hand (classy I know). I rushed to my boss’s office and smiled around the door.

“Its your friend, make it quick,” Lisa held out the receiver with a smirk

“Y’ello?” I answered.

“’Kota, its Katy, we’ve got the studio for practise tonight. Come after work?” Katy rushed excitedly down my ear.

“Yeah sure. I get off at six. Meet you there?” I responded, thankful for an extra practise opportunity.

“Yeah definitely.”

“Uh, why didn’t you just text me this, you moron?” I raised my brow.

“I wanted an answer now. Gotta dash. Catch ya,” Katy babbled and hung up.

**

We called it a night at half past nine. I’d given Max a heads up on where I was going but no doubt he’d want me home to listen to his complaints about how much it sucked at the seven-Eleven he works at. Men complain way more than women, no doubt about it.
When I say ‘called it a night’ we quit practise but Katy talked me into having a drink at her place. One glass turned into two bottles of wine to which end we weren’t shitfaced, just a little drunk.

“Right, I have to go!” I popped my empty glass on the coffee table and stood up.

“Ok, fair deal. Maybe more practise tomorrow, I’ll let you know,” Katy nodded.

“You stay there, I’ll let myself out,” I winked.

“See ya!” she called after me as I skipped out of her apartment.

It was a three block stumble stroll home, during which I rocked out to my iPod, not caring whether anyone walked or drove by and thought I was insane.

“Whoa! Yeah! Kickstart my heart hope it never stops! Whoa! Yeah! Babyyyy!” I sang (too) loud as I got to the front door and almost crashed through it.

“Dakota?” Bryan tipped back from the sofa and peered at me.

I spun around air-guitaring along to the classic song and rocking like a fruitcake.

“Hi guys!” I grinned, wide-eyed and giddy once I was done.

“Its late, where’ve you been?” Max queried from the spot next to Bryan.

“Katy’s. Had a little drinky,” I approached him and kissed his cheek.

“Did you happen to drink the entire wine rack?” he frowned in distaste.

“Don’t even start being a bitch. I’m going to bed,” I sang, keeping my good mood on, “Later, Bry’.”

I took the stairs two at a time and danced around the room to the Dirty Dancing soundtrack alone while changing to an oversized shirt then jumping into bed.
Seconds after doing so the door creaked open and Max crept in.

“I’m not asleep,” I giggled in the dark then turned on the light.

“Oh good,” he smiled and came to sit on the bed. “Is everything ok?”

“Yeah, why wouldn’t it be?” I pulled the cover up to my nose and widened my eyes because it never failed to amuse him.

“No reason. Sorry for being short with you, I just wondered where you were and worried a little,” he explained and slid under the cover beside me.

“That’s fine, whatever,” I shrugged and snuggled into him, “don’t worry about me, I’ll always be fine.”

**

I put my car in park and stepped into the blazing Nevada heat after another day at work. We couldn’t get into the studio again but it was just as well because it was a Friday night and time for a proverbial beer and a chill out.
The house was empty but as I got to the kitchen I saw everyone in the back garden blasting Iron Maiden or something.

“Hi guys,” I smiled stepping out through the back door.

Robert, Vanessa, Bryan and Ronnie collectively greeted me, then Max hopped up from a chair and rushed over.

“Heyy,” he grinned and picked me up with a spin, “how was your day?”

“Fine,” I stared, a little dazzled by the sudden intensity of affection, “What’s goin’ on?” I smirked.

“Nothin’” he grinned, “Want a drink?”

“Sure, I’ll just go change,” I accepted.

**

“Bry’, if you’re gonna hit me then do it right!” I scoffed and whacked Bryan’s shoulder, knocking him off the picnic table bench and onto the grass.
We all burst into fits of laughter as he rolled around moaning that his face was broken.

“Maxxxx,” he hissed, “your woman is beating me, do something,” he whined.
Max nodded and high-fived me.

When we calmed down and it had gone dark out we all retired inside and put a movie on.

“Excited about tomorrow?” I whispered to Max whom I was curled up with in the armchair.

“What’s tomorrow?” he stared at me with worry.

“The pole gig, remember?” the fact he’d forgotten the date didn’t shock me at all.

“Oh yeah,” he mumbled quietly.

It left me feeling a little deflated, but reason dictated I couldn’t seriously hope for him to be excited in the slightest. At least he’d quit fighting me about it but it still sucked that I couldn’t share my other love with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to
ElegantFalcon
HunterAtMidnight
and karen's evil twin
plus all readers and subscribers. You've made this ace for me.
The next chapter will be posted in no less than four days so it'll give everyone the weekend to get up to date [hopefully] and give me your comments. The next chapter is the last I'm afriad to say. More information next update. Thanks guys! <3