Status: Done.

Fantasy World

Ten

The next day, Maci was determined to start with her decision. She had stayed up all night studying just so she would have the night free to go to his game in person. 

At three pm, she got to his house, hoping he wasn't asleep yet. She rang his doorbell twice and stood back, inhaling deeply to calm her nerves. This was it. She was going to let go. She could do this. If it made her happy, she was going to try it. 

The door pulled back to reveal Steven rubbing one of his eyes. "Crap, you were already asleep," she muttered as she looked at his drowsy face. 

He laughed a little. "It's fine. What's up?" he asked as he dropped his hand. 

She began wringing her hands nervously. "Well, I was thinking maybe I'd go to your game tonight and-"

His face lit up. "Really?" he asked excitedly. "I'll save you a ticket at will call and- Hang on. Come inside," he told her as he disappeared into his house. 

She slowly followed him inside, closing the door behind her. Her eyes drifted around his house. She'd been here several times, but it felt different now. It felt like it was some place completely different. Maci shook her head before wandering further inside, not quite sure where Steven had gone to. 

He quickly reappeared with a jersey in his hand. "Here, you can even wear this!" he told her excitedly as he held it out to her. 

She took it in her hands gingerly. "Thanks," she told him. 

She felt stupid as she stood in front of him. Go with the flow? She was freaking acting like an awkward fan. 

Steven seemed to pick up on her behavior and raised an eyebrow. "You okay?" he asked. 

She nodded her head quickly. "Yeah, of course," she told him with a quick smile. Her hands fumbled with the sweater in her hands. 

He didn't believe her for a second. "Right... Well, you're welcome to stay here until the game. I can give you a ride to the rink and you can come say hi to the guys," he offered. 

She hesitated, wondering if that was part of going with the flow. As her mind automatically began filing through the possibilities of things, she paused. Going with the flow. She was analyzing everything too much. She was over thinking it all. 

"I mean, you don't have to-"

"I'd like that," she cut him off quickly. She added a smile to enforce her words. 

He returned it happily. "Well, you are welcome to my TV and kitchen. I have to go back and nap for awhile longer.." he told her as he gestured to his couch and kitchen. 

Her eyes drifted over them. "Okay, sounds good," she replied. 

He nodded his head before walking back to his room. Maci stood in her spot by the living room. She was terrible at this. This wasn't easy to do when she was forcing herself to try to go with the flow. 

She plopped down onto the couch and sighed. Maybe she needed the sleep she skipped on after all. No matter how used to doing so her body was, she felt exhausted. And with her mind running these extra laps, she jus wanted to shut it up for a few hours. 

Maci laid out on the couch and closed her eyes. She snuggled the jersey under her head. Just a short nap would be good. Even if his couch was uncomfortable. 

Mack wiggled around for several minutes before giving up. It wasn't going to happen. There was no way she could sleep on the couch. She sat up and sighed. Her eyes flickered towards Steven's bedroom door that had been left open. 

Maybe...

She padded quietly to his door and peaked in. He was stretched out on one side of the bed, the other completely untouched. She took one step closer, but then stopped. No. Maybe she should just go to the guest room.

No, she scolded herself. Stop thinking. Just go with it. 

She crossed the small distance before gingerly  crawling up onto his soft bed. Her body instantly melted into the soft bedding. Whatever the mattress was, it felt like it was from heaven. 

She tucked her arms under her like she always did when she curled up on her stomach and closed her eyes. Her body quickly jumped at the opportunity for sleep. 

Seconds later, she felt two arms snaking around her waist as Steven pulled himself up to her side. "Mmm... So I get a nap buddy?" he mumbled against her hair. 

She smiled to herself. "Do you mind?" she asked softly. 

He smirked. "Not at all," he promised. Maci snuggled up closer to him as she felt his body going back to sleep. Her own quickly followed suit. 

--

"Maci? Wake up."

She groaned as the big hand gently shook her arm. She didn't want to wake up. She was exhausted. Her lips pulled into a frown as she realized the heat source keeping her warm was gone. 

Steven laughed. "Come on. It's time to drive over to the rink," he told her. He was already dressed in his suit and tie. His car was loaded up and he was ready to go. He had wanted to let her keep sleeping until she had to get up. 

"Forget the rink. I'll Tevo it," she muttered unhappily. 

He laughed again. "But I need you to go wear my jersey in the crowd. Who else would cheer me on?" he teased as his fingers began skittering over her side, hoping tickling would wake her up. 

She rolled away from him. "All the teenaged girls in Tampa," she mumbled. 

Steven smirked and pulled her back to him by her legs. "But I want you!" he whined. 

Her eyes finally opened when he had half way dragged her off the bed. "Don't think I'm not going to spill nacho cheese on you jersey because of this," she muttered. 

Steven smirked. "Deal. Now come on," he urged. 

She sighed and pushed herself up. She stretched her arms above her head. Steven's eyes wondered down to the bit of exposed stomach that was showing. 

"Let's go," she mumbled as she got up. He grinned at her and draped his arms around her waist. 

"I'm glad you're coming to my game," he said honestly. 

She gave him a tired smile. "Me, too," she admitted before reaching up and giving him a soft kiss on the cheek.

Things were easier when she didn't think about them. If she thought about doing it, she would only make things awkward. When the idea of going with the flow was pushed to the back of her head, things did go smoothly. 

Steven grinned madly at her. "Let's get to the rink, then," he said as he turned her around and lightly nudged her forward. She rolled her eyes, but did as he wanted. 

"You going to score a goal this game?" she asked him. 

He smirked. "Just for you," he told her as he opened his garage door. They both slid into his car and buckled up. 

"I'll be waiting for it," she teased. 

He chuckled and backed the car out of the driveway. "I won't disappoint then," he promised. 

As they started their drive to the rink, Maci fiddled with the radio dial. Eventually she stopped on a song that they both knew well enough. 

Steven groaned loudly. "This is why you aren't allowed to work the radio," he muttered. 

She grinned at him as she began singing along with the song. "You stand in a line just to hit a new low. You're faking a smile, get the coffee to go," she sang along. 

Steven rolled his eyes. "I hate this song," he muttered. 

She smirked as she got ready for the chorus. "Cause you had a bad day!"

Steven quickly reached over to change the station, but she grabbed his hand before he could. "Come on!" she whined. 

He gave her a look to which she only gave him a bright smile. He finally sighed and stopped trying to change the station. Maci smiled and let go of his hand as she continued to softly sing with the song. 

Steven glanced over at her as she stared out the window. He chewed on his lip for a moment before speaking. "On one condition."

Maci looked over at him questioningly. Steven's eyes shifted back to the road ahead of him. "I can hold your hand."

When she simply held her hand up to him and went back to singing, he almost choked. He hadn't expected her to be okay with it. As he laced his fingers with hers and rested their hands against his thigh, he bit back his smile. 

Maci's heart raced as she felt his thumb brush against the back of her hand. She was making progress with the go with the flow and she felt proud of that. Her hair hung down on either side of her face, hiding her wide smile from his eyes. 

Just in time to ruin the moment, Maci's phone began vibrating in her pocket. She tugged it out and stared at the screen, debating what to. Finally her thumb pressed the green button and she held the phone to her ear. 

Steven glanced over at her nervous face. Her hand was clenching his tightly. "Hello?" she mumbled. 

"Is there any chance what so ever that you're with Steven right now?" Stephanie rushed out. 

Maci's heart felt like it was going to over exhaust itself in her chest. She looked over at the blonde hockey player. "Yeah, he's right here.. Why?" she asked nervously. 

"Put the phone on speaker, I need to talk to both of you!"

Maci was sure this was the end of it. Stephanie knew. She was going to kill her. She was the worst friend ever. Her life would end in a matter of seconds. 

She swallowed hard and looked at Steven as she pressed the speaker phone button. Steven kept a careful eye on her, feeling a little of her worry transfer into him. 

"Okay, you're on speaker," Maci told her.

Steven's brows furrowed in confusion as to who would want to speak to both of them at the same time. 

"Okay, I need to talk to you two," Stephanie announced seriously. 

Steven's heart stopped in his chest. His eyes instinctively dropped to where his hand was linked with Maci's. 

"What about?" he asked. 

Stephanie scoffed. "You know what!"
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this while sitting in the hallway at school for eight hours.