Status: Done.

Fantasy World

One

“You two are like an old married couple,” Stephanie stated.

Maci laughed as she looked both ways before crossing the street. “How are we like an old married couple?” she asked.

“Because every Sunday you two religiously meet up and have breakfast,” Stephanie retorted.

“First of all, neither of us are religious. Second of all, it was the best day to have such a tradition,” Maci told her.

There was a heavy sigh. “That’s not what I meant… I just meant you two have this little pattern that you never break. It’s like those old couples you see at diners every morning ordering the same breakfast plates.”

“Whatever. It’s just two Canadians meeting up and enjoying Canadian time,” the brunette countered. Stephanie let out a loud laugh in her side of the phone conversation. “Besides. I get a free meal every time.”

“Oh, God. You’re worse than those gold diggers!” her best friend exclaimed dramatically. The blonde even put her hand to her forehead for emphasis.

“How am I worse than a gold digger?” Maci demanded through her laughter. She hugged her purse closer to her side as she wiggled through a crowd of people.

“Well, you use him weekly to get free food. You two barely get along, but you ignore that because you benefit from it!” Stephanie exclaimed through her laughter. “I almost feel bad for my brother.”

“Why would you feel bad for him? He’s the one that offers to pay every time!”

“Because with gold diggers at least the dude gets something out of it!”

Maci rolled her eyes. “He gets to see my happy face all the time. That should be plenty for him.”

Stephanie snorted. “Whatever. Happy birthday again. Tell my brother I said hi. I have to head to class,” she told her best friend.

“Alright. Thank you. I’ll talk to you later,” Maci said before they hung up. She tucked her phone into her pocket just as she entered the restaurant she and Steven were planning on meeting at.

She spotted the familiar head of brown hair in the corner booth of the diner. She quickly walked to the back and slid into the booth across from him. He looked up when he heard someone sit ni front of him. His lips instantly pulled up into a grin.

"Hey, baby Steven! Get up, let me give you a birthday hug!" he demanded as he pushed himself out of the booth.

Maci rolled her eyes and did the same. His arms instantly wrapped around her in a tight hug. She laughed and returned it, looping her arms around his middle. "Happy birthday!" he exclaimed softly as he embraced her.

He inhaled deeply, taking in the scent of her shampoo and lotion: strawberries and vanilla. He tried to imprint the feeling of her in his arms into his mind before he reluctantly let her go. If she hadn't been so oblivious, she would have noticed the way he took in her appearance carefully. Her dark brown hair was left down like it usually was, hanging straight and barely brushing the small of her back. Her bright green eyes looked even lighter than normal, no doubt from the excitement of her big 21st birthday. Her skin was pale, never getting tanned throughout the entire year.

She stood barely above his shoulder in the gladiator flats that were strapped to her small feet just below the skinny jeans that hugged her legs Her white, flowy shirt had small red flowers around it with green vines. It was her favorite shirt, he knew. He'd seen her wear it more than any other T-shirt she owned.

They both sat back down in the booth. "So, you going to score a goal for me tonight for my birthday?" she asked with a smile as she glanced up from the menu.

He smriked. "I'll get a hat trick, just for you," he told her.

She let out a laugh. "Right. I'll hold you to it. If you don't do it, I want a pony."

He chuckled loudly. "Of course you would. Aren't you and my sister going to move to Texas one day and open a farm or something?" he asked.

She smiked brightly down at her menu. "Yup. No boys allowed. Unless they're cowboys and sexy," she confirmed.

He laughed again and was soon joined by her. "You sister says hi, by the way. I talked to her when I was walking here," she quickly said as she remembered the message.

He groaned. "What's that brat up to? Still loving Paris?"

"Of course. She has pretty much decided that she's moving there one day."

A waitress arrived and set down two glasses of water. "What can I get for you two?" she asked. Her bun of grey hair bobbed as she looked between the two.

"Can I have number three on the breakfast menu?" Steven asked.

She smiled and wrote it down. "I don't know, sweetie. Can you?" she asked.

Maci laughed softly as Steven's smile grew. "And she will have the stack of chocolate chip pancakes with a glass of apple juice. It's her birthday," he added on.

Maci blushed fiercely. "Well, happy birthday, missy! I'll get your orders as soon as I can," the old woman promised with a wink.

Maci brushed her hair away from her face. "You didn't have to mention that part," she pointed out.

Steven shrugged, enjoying the feeling he got from ordering for her. "They bring you a sundae sometimes if they know," he stated before taking a sip of his water.

Maci folded up her menu and set it aside. "And chocolate chip pancakes? I swear, you're goal in life is to make me so fat my boyfriend will hate me and leave me," she teased.

Steven felt his mood sink a little at the mention of the guy his little sister's best friend had been dating for years now. He never liked the guy. "Just so you'll realize we're meant to be together finally," he joked along like he always did.

She let out a loud laugh. His lips pulled up at the way her face had a shine to it whenever she laughed that way. "Right. I'm still waiting to see that fact," she retorted.

He lifted one of his shoulders. "Maybe my hat trick tonight will sweep you off your feet and you'll realize your true feelings for me," he suggested.

She smiled to the waitress and thanked her as the woman set down their drinks and walked away. "We'll see, big Steven," she allowed.

He smirked at his nickname. He's called her "baby Steven" ever since he found out her last name was Stevens. After fighting it for months and months, she began calling him "big Steven" in return. The names had stuck throughout middle school, high school, and her college years.

He glanced out the window at the people walking by. "Gah, what am I going to call you when you marry that bastard and your last name is Graceson?" he asked with a scoff. He was rewarded with another whole hearted laugh.