Status: Done.

Fantasy World

Thirty

Steven dropped his water bottle into his sink. He ran his hands through his sweaty hair, feeling the burn of his work out still. 

His sister walked in seconds later. "Hey," she greeted. 

"Hola. What's up?" he asked while she began opening cupboards. 

She sighed. "Trying to find brownie mix."

"Top shelf over by the fridge. Why?"

She went to grab the box mix from where he had instructed. "Maci's been on the phone arguing with her dad for like an hour. I think she's just getting off the phone with her mom now," she answered. 

He frowned in confusion. "Why?"

Stephanie began pulling out the dishes she needed. "She got a call today that someone paid her school tuition in full. Like, every penny she'd have to spend on college. She thought it was her dad trying to buy his way back into her life, but he denied it and then they started fighting about everything between them like he always starts when he's around," she rambled.

Steven's stomach dropped. "She's pissed that someone paid for her tuition?" he asked nervously. 

Stephanie opened her mouth to answer, but stopped short. She frowned suspiciously. "Steven, you didn't-"

"Steven!"

Both of their heads snapped over to a furious Maci. She wasn't one to get as livid as she was then, rendering both of them in shock. She marched right up to him and stood only inches away. "Tell me you didn't do it," she demanded angrily. 

He swallowed hard. "I just thought-"

Her hand connected with his cheek. "You know how fucking terrible that makes me feel?" she yelled at him. 

He winced. "I was trying to make up for what I said-"

"So you make me feel needy and like I can't get things figured out myself?" she snapped at him. 

"I'm... Gonna go for a walk..." Stephanie mumbled before slipping out of the kitchen. 

"You're are such a jack ass! Damn it-"

Steven cut her off quickly. "I did it because I know going to school means more than anything else to you. And I know you were doubting even going back right away after you got that call and I didn't want you to have to do that!" 

He caught her wrist when she went to cut him off with another slap. "I did it because I want you to be happy!"

She stopped, staring up at him. His voice dropped down in volume and pitch. "Maci, I can't stand to see you unhappy... If you decide that this isn't worth it and that we're done, just take the schooling... Keep the happiness I know you get from learning," he told her. 

Maci's eyes drifted down to her hand. He slowly lowered his hand, his grip loosening on her. She didn't say anything to him for a long time. He completely let go of her and stepped back. 

"I don't want you to feel needy or anything like that. I just want you to be happy."

Maci felt her eyes well up as she stated at her feet, processing what he'd said. He let out a sigh. "I should to shower, I smell terrible," he mumbled. 

When he started to walk away, her hand reached out to grab his. "Steven..."

He looked down at her. She looked up at him finally. Her words lingered on the tip of her tongue before finally spilling out. "Thank you."

He gave her a small smile that she returned. "I'm sorry about yesterday."

His smile got a little bigger. "It's okay," he assured her.

She smiled up at him, her knees feeling weak with the look in his eyes. She reached up on her toes to press a kiss to his cheek. With a cheeky grin, he turned his head to kiss her lips. 

Maci pulled back with a laugh. He smirked down at her. "Couldn't resist," he admitted. 

She bit her lip before reaching up to kiss him. "Couldn't resist," she mocked quietly against his lips. 

He pecked her lips once more before pulling away. "I have to go shower. I'll be right back," he promised. He walked away with a smile on his face.