Status: completed!

I'm Just a Kid That Tried Too Hard

I Just Can’t Be Who Everyone Wants Me to Be

I make good on my word to Bergeron and call Seguin when I get home. “Deviiiiiiiin, hey!” I laugh at the guy. “Hi Tyler. How’ve you been?” I flop onto my bed and open my laptop with my free hand. I suddenly have an idea, “Let’s skype instead!” He quickly agrees and his face is soon on my computer.

“Devin, do you have any idea how boring it’s been over here? I mean, I get back from the road trip and it’s like you vanished off the face of the earth! All Marchy does is mope around.” I sigh, “I’m sorry Segs. I just …I just want to keep my distance, you know?” He nods and takes a bite of a banana. He tells me about the road trip and we joke around for a bit more.

“YO SEGS! WHERE’S MY TOOTHBRUSH?” A booming voice comes from out of the shot and Tyler mouths a quick sorry to me as Brad enters the shot. I can tell that Tyler put a different page up to cover my face, and I stay quiet. “I don’t know Brad. I haven’t touched it.” Brad nods, “Alright. Just keep an eye ou-“ He stops talking because my phone goes off and the ringtone projects through Tyler’s speakers. It’s not like I changed it or anything so it’s still Blink-182. He recognizes it immediately.

He finally looks at the computer. “Tyler, are you…skyping Devin?” Tyler pauses before nodding, looking pretty guilty. I know if I am to play it safe I would end the conversation now but I can’t. Tyler switches tabs to they can see me. I wave weakly.

Brad just looks at me. I stare back at him. Tyler gets up and walks out with a wave at me from behind Brad. I go to press end on him but he stops me, “Please Devin. Wait.” I stop. “I’m sorry” he continues. I nod. There’s a long pause before I can barely get out an “It’s okay.” Without even a goodbye I end the conversation.

------

It’s been several weeks since I last spoke to Brad. It’s mid December now. Whatever Patrice said Brad had wanted to explain wasn’t that important I suppose. The texts and missed calls from him had all but stopped. I went to school, hung out with Ross and Ariel, and went to work. I even went to lunch with Patrice and Tyler once or twice.

I stand up and step back from my painting to look at it. I cross my eyes and squint at it, trying to find something wrong with it. After at least 6 minutes of me studying the painting, I decide that I have done the best painting I have ever done. I take the large canvas and while fully aware of everyone watching me, I put the painting on the front easel.

That’s how my art class works. When students finish the piece that they’re going to submit to the showcase, they place the work on the ever present easel and table at the head of the class to put on display and to let everyone know they’re done. After everyone has submitted their work, the showcase is held and people from all over the city attend. The attendants vote for their favorite work at the end and the winner gets a special award amongst other things. I’m so in love with this painting that I decide that this is the piece I’m submitting.

The charcoals played off the paint I used very well. The only colors that really stood out on the canvas is the yellow of the B at the center of the ice. I beam with pride looking at the painting at the front of the class. Some of the students flash me encouraging smiles as I make my way back to my seat. I offer up small smiles in return. I look up to see my teacher, who is nodding at me approvingly.

Ross gives me a piggy back ride back to his car in celebration. He finished his a few days ago. It was a sculpture of a phoenix, one of those fire birds. He spent forever painting it, staying late into the night to get things just right. Now that we’re both done, we can finally relax.

Driving back to my place, he gives me a sideways glance, “So are you going to invite the boys to the showcase?” Ross has taken to calling The Bruins “the boys”. I’m really not sure why he can’t just use their names.

I really only talk to Patrice, Tyler…and most recently Gregory Campbell. One of them must’ve given him my number because we’ve talked on the phone a few nights in a row now. It’s not weird or anything, we just talk. It’s 100% platonic. As weird as it sounds, I wouldn’t be able to ever see anyone on the Bruins in that light again. I feel like that would be dirty and cheap. Not that I get any vibe from Greg or anything anyways.

It’s just nice to have someone new to talk to.

I shrug at Ross, “I don’t see why I would.” He laughs, “Oh come on. You know Tyler will be mad. The kid practically thinks you’re his sister all of a sudden.” I pause and look at Ross, “I don’t want that night to be about a Bruins player being there. I want it to be about the art.”
Ross shakes his head as he pulls up to my building, “Whatever you say…there’s a rumor the school sent an invitation to the whole team anyways.” I cringe before getting out of the car. “Let’s hope not.”
♠ ♠ ♠
re-do because of the thing. sdgfhdgpssfgfhb.