Status: completed!

I'm Just a Kid That Tried Too Hard

El fin

The flight felt so much longer coming home than it did heading out. For the majority of the flight home Ross and I shared headphones and listened to the Dropkick Murphy’s in their entirety. We were both feeling homesick to the most severe degree.

That’s over though. Ross and I have just stepped off the plane. We’re looking for the group of people who swore that they’d be here to meet us. I crane my neck around all the families and business men that continue to cross my path. I finally spy the top of Bergy’s head. I slap Ross in the arm like I can’t control my own limbs, because really at this point I’m so excited I probably couldn’t if I tried.

They haven’t seen us yet so we go the long way around to try to sneak up behind them. This ultimately doesn’t work. Brad happens to turn around and sees us. His face breaks out into a huge grin and he opens his arms. I drop my things, and as cliché as this sounds I run right for him. He smells like unfamiliar cologne and his toothpaste.
I bury my face into his neck and plant several little kisses there. He’s mumbling into my ear and laughing and squeezing the air out of my lungs. I finally gain enough of my senses to make out what he’s saying.

“I missed you and I love you very, very much.” I smile and pull away, not giving him any time to say anything else. He kisses every bit of my face before giving me a huge kiss that is way to over dramatic and everyone laughs at us and I’m sure people are staring but I guess it doesn’t really matter all that much to me.

I finally leave his arms to hug Ariel who is babbling on about everything I’ve missed and how she hated living alone. I laugh at her and give her a big sisterly kiss on the cheek. Bergeron picks me up and says thank you for all the cheesy post cards I sent him. I knew if someone was to appreciate them it would be him. I turn around and stop short. There, in all his uncomfortable, awkward glory is Gregory. His hands are shoved deep into his pockets and he’s rocking on his heels. His face is tight and he raises his eyebrows at me.

I smile and wrap my arms around his waist tightly. I’ve missed him. He wrote me a few times while I was in Italy. I have those letters wrapped up tight in my purse. Of course no one needs to know that. He wraps his arms around my shoulders hesitantly. I start to laugh into his chest and that seems to relax him enough to hug me back like a normal person.

I pull away and we share a look. He seems okay. I mean, he looks well enough. Brad comes over to me and wraps his arms around me saying that we can all catch up tomorrow because he’s sure I’m tired. He’s absolutely right too.

Everyone walks to their own cars. They all leave Brad and I to drive alone together. We sit in his car for a moment before I turn to him and give him a kiss on the cheek. If you had told me a year ago that I’d be sitting here with a fantastic guy in a steady relationship, I would’ve laughed at the idea. Let’s be honest, I wasn’t the most friendly person on the planet and never wanted to settle. That’s why, even though I mean every word, what comes out of my mouth next surprises even me.

“I love you too Brad.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is it! This was my first hockey story, and I'd like to think it wasn't too shabby. Well, I'd love to know what you all honestly thought of it. I'd like to thank everyone for reading, commenting, and subscribing. (I finished with 63, so I think that's pretty rad.)

...and adios Pouliot </3