Status: completed!

I'm Just a Kid That Tried Too Hard

On Paper, We're Similar People

Ariel and Ross are bickering about what to do with the afternoon. I sit there watching them with amusement, while stroking Macy. The pair knew about Macy and were happy I loved her so much. Ross wants to take me to some of my favorite places in the city while Ariel wants to take me shopping to get a new dress for tonight.

Eventually, I decide we’ve wasted enough time. “Guys, I say we do a bit of exploring and on the way back pick up some stuff for tonight, alright?” They both nod, feeling stupid that they didn’t think of this themselves.

We pile into Ross’s car and head over to The House of Blues. Ross had somehow scored passes that let us look around. This is my favorite venue in Boston so I’m super excited. The walls are so full and interesting. Even better, behind a speaker I found a crumpled up set list from Mayday Parade. The date read ‘October 18’. It’s even signed. I freak out, “GUYS! I WAS AT THIS SHOW!!!” They look at me, fully aware of this fact. I beam and pocket the piece of paper.

We go to a few other places before Ariel’s pleas to head off shopping become too insistent for Ross and I to take. We drive over to Ariel’s and my favorite little shop. Ross takes to the racks to help us find something.

I glance at him after a few minutes, “Ross” I speak quietly to him, “I don’t like any of these dresses. They’re all too short or too revealing. I can’t stand it. Can’t I just go in jeans?” Ross laughs at me, equally quiet. “Devin, you’ve got a cute little body. I don’t think I’ll ever understand why you’re so nervous. Now go try something on.” I just shrug and pull a few dresses to try.

I trudge towards the dressing rooms but not before Ross playfully smacks my ass. I flip him off without bothering to turn around. I try on one of Ross’s picks. It must be a joke. It’s horizontally striped solely in black and yellow. I let out a giggle. It doesn’t actually look that bad on me. Still, the dress would be too much for me.

I toss it over the door, “Nice one Ross. Really.” I try on a simple black dress and am about to take it off when Ariel calls, “Come out! I want you to see the dress I picked!” I reluctantly open the door. Ariel is standing there in a stunning dress. It’s a strapless white number that probably would’ve look slutty on anyone else. It sets off her tan skin nicely. I let out a whistle, “Oh girl that is definitely the dress. I need to keep looking. This feels too tight.”

The two laugh at me. Then Ariel throws something at me with a pointed look. I sigh and go to try it on. When I look at myself in the mirror I almost gasp out loud. The dress almost looks like a t-shirt but still looks fun. I pull my hair out of its ponytail and bring it over my shoulders. I smile. This is definitely the dress I want to wear.

I step out of the little stall and the pair gape at me. It must be weird seeing me in a dress. All I ever wear is jeans and some sort of loose top. They nod approvingly. Ariel insists on buying the dress for me since it’s my birthday and I don’t argue. Ross drops us off at the apartment and says he’ll pick us up in a couple of hours.

--------------------

Brad walks out of the bathroom in his jeans, “Hey Segs, have you seen my blue shirt?!” he shouts, not knowing where the younger boy is. He walks out of the kitchen, “It might be in my closet. I wore it last.” Brad nods and tries to find it. Tyler follows him into the room and sits on the bed. “So you and Devin today...?” Brad laughs, “No man. It didn’t happen. I wanted it too, but there’s no need to push her, espcially on her own birthday.” Tyler nods even though his friend can’t see him.

“Well she looked good...Smoking hot actually.” Tyler finally offers up. Brad looks at his friend warningly, “She was so embarrassed that you saw that so try not to bring that up ok?” Tyler nods again. It was funny to see his friend so protective and happy with a girl. Since he started dating Devin, he’s been much less of a dick to people.

“So are you going to take your shirt off and get completely wasted?” Tyler continues to ask questions because Brad’s awfully quiet. He laughs, “I was just thinking that actually. I don’t want to be any more drunk than Devin so I don’t make an ass of myself. I mean, but what if she’s a lightweight? Either way, her friend Ross is willing to be a designated driver.” Tyler smiles, “Does that count for me too?” Brad shrugs, “He would have an extra seat, so maybe.” Tyler lays back on his bed, happy with that answer.

--------------------------

I let Ariel curl my long hair. I never bothered to before because it took forever. Still, it really pulled the outfit together. I put on a pair of chunky black healed ankle boots. I also put on a ton of bangles on my wrist. I look at myself in the mirror and smile. I look good if I’m being honest with myself. Ross knocks on the door and pulls me from my thoughts.

I step into their view. Ross lets out a low whistle which sends me into a fit of giggles. I grab a few waters for the ride home and we pile in. Ariel, who’s stuck alone in the back, leans forward on the console, “SO Devin, what’s the plan tonight?” Without looking at her I shrug, “I guess just to have fun. Drink, party with my boyfriend and everyone else.” What I don’t say is that I’m secretly hoping Brad spends the night. No, I’m not thinking sex but it would be nice to wake up to him being there in the morning.

We arrive and Ross tosses his keys to one of the valet guys. Ross has cleaned up nice too. I smile with pride at my friend. It’s so difficult to get him to wear anything but his old t-shirts and ragged jeans. Now he sports a black button up and what seems to be a new pair of jeans. We saunter up to the guy standing outside the club and past the line. I can hear people scoffing at us, but for once, I really don’t care.

“Hey ladies.” The man gives us a curt nod and lets the three of us in even before I was able to give him my name. Ariel and I try not to giggle at each other excitedly. I’d been to clubs before but was never treated like anyone of any importance.

The club is smoky with lots of flashing lights and loud music. It’s exactly what I pictured it as. I spot the bar and make my way over to it with the other two following close behind. Before I make it there, defenseman Adam McQuaid steps in front of me. “Devin!” He shouts over the music. I nod, looking up at the extremely tall man. I remember Brad mentioning him to be something like 6’ 5’’.

He grasps my hand and leads me up some stairs to what must be the VIP area. It’s cool. There are people scattered around with the alcohol flowing freely. I discretely look around for Brad as I follow McQuaid.

Arms suddenly wrap around me from behind and I almost jump. Lips kiss the base of my neck and I can feel breath tickling my skin. I turn around to come face to face with a pretty much sober Brad. I smile and peck his lips. His eyes quickly scan over my outfit, eating me up. He leans back in so our foreheads touch, “Happy Birthday Devin. You look great.”

I take hold of his hand and lead him over to where Seguin and Tuukka Rask are sitting. “Hello gentlemen!” I say as I bump Tyler playfully so he makes room for Brad and I. Tyler pecks my cheek, “Hey birthday girl! You look so flyyy, my god!” Clearly the boy has already downed a few drinks. I laugh at him and Bergeron comes over and hands me a drink. I take a sip. It’s really sweet but I take another gulp anyways.

A bit later, Ariel drags me to the dance floor. I’ve got a bit of a buzz going but nothing crazy. Brad’s been trying to pace himself but I told him to just not worry about it. A Breathe Carolina song is blaring throughout the club and I’m thankful it isn’t Blackout. Those boys need more credit than that one song, no matter how good that song may be.

Anyways, Ariel and I are dancing together and just having fun. Milan Lucic’s girlfriend Britney joins us and we gladly let her in. Milan and Campbell eventually come down to join us. It’s still crazy how cute he is. I laugh and dance with him casually. We’re all laughing and raising drinks in the air, clearly the life of the party. People all around us are picking up our vibes and are dancing and partying.

I feel myself being pulled away from Campbell and into the chest of Brad. He has a bit more drinks in his system than the last time I saw him. A few of the buttons of his shirt are undone. I smile up at him and throw an arm over his shoulder while I pressed my hips into his. He’s a much better dancer than he is a singer thankfully. His hands are on my hips as we sway with the bass. He starts kissing my neck and I close my eyes in bliss.

After god knows how much time goes by, Ariel steals me back, “Sorry Brad. She’s my best friend. I win.” He laughs and throws his hands up in surrender. Tyler comes up behind Brad and starts grinding into him. The look on Brad’s face is priceless. Everyone else is dying. I put an arm on Milan’s shoulder for support as I double over in laughter. Much to the shock of everyone, Brad starts to sway with his friend.

Ariel looks at me with a smirk and drags me along with her in between the two guys. Ariel and I face each other while the boys stand behind us. To make things even more ridiculous, Ross, who is completely sober, jumps in the middle in between Ariel and I. The night continues to become more ridiculous from there.

---------

A few hours later, everyone is just about spent. We’re tired and our systems are full with drinks. Brad, Tyler, Ariel and I stumble into Ross’s car and he drives us to my place. Thankfully, the other guys had cabs ready. We all decide that it’s just easier if we stay at my place. When we reach my house, Ariel and Ross head to the guest bedroom.

Ross decides that it’s safer to have him with Ariel to share a room instead of with a very drunk and an equally horny Seguin. Tyler falls onto the couch and promptly passes out.

I look at Brad and flash him a lopsided grin, “C’monnn Marchy. Time for bed.” We stumble into my room and under the covers after he takes off his shirt. I snuggle into his chest, exhausted. Brad kisses my forehead lazily, “Did you have fun tonight?” I nod and give a little yawn. He smiles, “Good. I’ll be here when you wake up. G’night Devin.” He sounds strangely coherent for a drunk guy. “Mmm, night Brad.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I actually did go to that Mayday Parade show, and I couldn't help but throw that in there :)
Is it obvious I love Gregory Campbell yet?
OK & I'M MEETING PATRICE BERGERON TOMORROW. Just thought I'd share.

Thank you to "l3xiquinnsegsy" and "annahay11" for commenting, I really appreciate it!

Devin's Dress

Ariel's Dress