Status: Completed.

Hang Me Up To Dry

I Want You To Want Me

--John--

“You do?” She became ecstatic and I nodded. “Because I love you too. I’ve been in love with you for a while now.”

“I fell in love with you the night we stayed up and talked,” I said and moved my hand lightly around her leg.

Back in August, I never would have pictured myself to be with Rianne. But she intrigues me. She keeps me guessing.

She walked over to my fridge and took out a few beers and opened them using the counter.

“I could use this right about now,” she said and handed me the other one. I found myself just staring at her in awe before we started making out.

A couple of days later, Rianne was at work at I was at my apartment surfing through YouTube videos when Caty messaged me over Facebook.

John…I miss you…

Miss you too Caty. How is everything

I wish you were here. Why aren’t we together?

I have a girlfriend, Caty.

What? Since when?

A while. What does it matter.

John don’t play with me. I know you want me too.

No Caty. I don’t.

I closed the laptop and Rianne came in and kissed me quickly. “How was work and class?”

“Same old same old. I really like the conservatory. I’m glad I decided to come here.”

“You’re not glad you came here because of me?”

“Hmm, let me think.” She sat on my lap and studied my face closely and when I leaned in to kiss her, she pulled back. “You’re just an added bonus,” she said and giggled.

“Do I still scare you?” I asked. Her face changed as if she were thinking about something briefly.

“No, you’re as harmless as a stuffed bear.”

“What was that?” She realized I was talking about what she was thinking about.

“Nothing. You just scare me in a different way now.”

“How’s that?”

She seemed embarrassed and bit her lip before I made her look up at me. “I’m a virgin, John.”

If I had something in my mouth, I would have spit it out. I didn’t know she was taking the conversation here.

“What does that have to do with anything?”

“It frightens me that you want something out of me that I’m not ready to give.”

“I would never take that from you when you’re not ready. Especially since you’re so young and fresh out of high school.”

“John, you don’t have to act like this. I knew our ages would be a problem.” She started to get up but I pulled her back.

“I’m not acting in any way, I just…I’m just trying to avoid the situation.”

“Why? It’s important, right?”

“Yes, it is, Rianne. I don’t like this conversation because it’s embarrassing to tell someone that you’re a virgin.”

She looked at me confused. “You? No…”

I nodded. “It’s not that I don’t want to with anybody, I just have strong moral values that I don’t intend on breaking.”

“No sex before marriage?”

I nodded my head and she laid back and stroked my jawline. “That is such a relief. I feel the same way. Jake was so eager to be with me he just decided to get it elsewhere.”

“Sounds like every girl I dated in high school. After a while, I stopped getting dates.”

“Were girls that promiscuous at your high school?”

“God yes. So many babies.”

“I’m still trying to figure you out,” she said after a moment of looking at me. “Looks like you’re a bit deeper than I once thought.”

“You haven’t even scratched the surface yet.” I started tickling her and as she tried to get away, we just ended up rolling around on the floor before we ended up kissing.

--Rianne--

-A Week Later-

It was December now and I was more in love with John now that ever. He was just so different than anyone I’ve ever met before and he made me feel better about myself. I could really use his help today. My brother Ryan texted me telling me that Mom and Dad’s divorce had been finalized and he chose to stay with Mom. I didn’t feel like going to work because I felt so bad so I called in sick and made myself a giant bowl of ice cream.

I was out on the balcony when John came behind me and wrapped his arms around me and kissed my neck.

“So I was thinking…” he started. “Since your house is a little heated right now, my parents would love to have you over for Christmas.”

“Really?” I said and turned around. Whatever depression I was feeling previously had momentarily left. “That would be okay?”

“Yeah. My parents are dying to meet you. They want to meet the woman in my life.”

“Are we that serious?” I said.

“I’d like to think we are. Who cares that you’re four years younger than me? I don’t.”

I could tell that he meant it. I think I was finally starting to trust him and let myself fall for him as hard as I could. Who cares if this might end badly? At least I’ll look back with no regrets.

“You’re gonna let me meet your parents?”

“I am.” He kissed me and we migrated back inside, ending up on the bed. I was so into our make out, I almost gave myself away. My shirt almost came off! John was just as surprised as I was. But oh my God did he look cute.

-Christmas-

I was so nervous meeting John’s family. I wanted to make a good impression so I wore an emerald green dress just above knee length with John’s leather jacket and four inch platform heels. Arizona had given me a nice tan so I didn’t look sickly white like I used to.

When we entered the rather large house, I was instantly greeted by his mother hugging me tightly then his dad shaking my hand firmly. What did I just walk into. Ross and Shane came from the hallway and greeted me kindly then we all went to the living room where the tree was.

“We’re very happy to have you here, Rianne. John has told us so much about you,” his mom said and smiled at me, then him as John rolled his eyes. I couldn’t help but to smile at him. “John said you were attending the Conservatory?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Please, call me Jen. You make me feel like an old woman.”

Being around his family, it felt like they were my family too. They just made me feel so at home.

John went away for a while with his parents while I was stuck there awkwardly with Shane and Ross and Ross started talking to me. I think he was maybe a year or two older than me.

“Are you worried about him?” Ross asked.

“Worried about what?”

“His problem.”

“What problem? I haven’t noticed any problem.”

Him and Shane glanced at each other quickly before proceeding to tell me. “He’s had an issue with drugs…for a while now. You haven’t noticed?”

“No…I’ve only seen him smoke and drink. I don’t know anything about drugs.”

“Maybe because your relationship is still new, but the real him will eventually come out.”

“Has this been a problem with his previous girlfriends?”

He seemed confused. “He’s never brought anyone home before. I can tell he really likes you, but I’m just forewarning you.”

I was confused with everything he was telling me. I’ve never seen or heard anything about John doing drugs, but for Ross to tell me that it’s an actual problem, like an addiction, this could change things. I was okay with the smoking and drinking, but I refused to be subject to this.

“If you ever need to talk about anything, I’m here,” Ross said.

“Yeah, me too,” Shane chipped in.

“Why wouldn’t he tell me that he had a problem with drugs?”

“Well…it’s not exactly something you tell someone right away. Eventually the truth comes to the surface.”

It’s not that I didn’t believe Ross, it’s just that I didn’t want to believe him. That was a lot of news to take in.

Then came the exchange of presents and I gave John a pack of homemade gift cards (like good for one free hug or some other corny shit like that; it was the best I could do on my budget) and he gave me a silver bracelet with a small ‘R+J’ coated in diamonds hanging from it. Man did I feel like a crappy gift giver.

“I loved your present,” he reassured me when he had his arms around me out in the front yard.

“It was nothing compared to what you got me.”

He looked at me like I was stupid. “Are you kidding me? Anyone can go buy a fancy bracelet. You took the thoughtful route. As a matter of fact…” he said reaching into his pocket. “Can I cash this one in now?” He showed me the Good for One Free Kiss coupon.

“Are you sure? You only have one of those. You have to make it last.”

“I’ll be sure to do so,” he said and cupped his hand around my neck, leaning down to kiss me. “I love you,” he said. I melted inside every time he said it.

“I love you.”

I don’t know what Ross was talking about. John didn’t do drugs. What a crazy.

He smoked a cigarette before we went back inside and once we were, Ross gave me concerned eyes from across the table. Maybe he was telling the truth. I just couldn’t believe him until I see it for myself.

We got in the car after dinner and John said, “Your other present is at home. And before you get it, I just want to let you know how hard it was for me to obtain. It’s so rare and special, I hope you don’t reject it.”

“Well now how could I reject something with that kind of description?”

“Trust me, I’m scared that you will.” Once we were inside his apartment, he told me to close my eyes.

After a few moments of standing there with my eyes closed I said, “John?” He shushed me immediately and a few moments after that, I felt his lips on mine and he told me to open my eyes. I didn’t see anything. “I don’t under–”

“It’s me, Rianne. I’m your present. I know that sounds really weird and corny now that I say it out loud, but…”

“John, are you saying…”

“Yes,” he said and kissed me again, this time leading me back into his room.