‹ Prequel: Illusions

Retrouvailles

for the rest of my days

The best way Loren knew how to keep herself from crying was to talk. The topic didn’t matter so long as she just kept talking. When her alarm went off the following morning, Sidney still in a dead sleep beside her, she sang softly to herself. She continued that in the shower, while she made breakfast, and as she packed up the last of her things. She didn’t trust herself in silence.

Sidney didn’t question it—he had enough superstitions to fill a book, let alone to warrant him questioning Loren’s strange behavior—so he kept her talking. Their morning discussion revolved around what Loren had made for breakfast and where she’d found the coffee grinds. He spoke out loud when it was his turn to shower, asking her if there was anything of his that still needed to be packed. During the drive to the airport, they talked about how beautiful the weather had been in Cole Harbour, but it was everything she’d confided in him during the flight that put things into perspective.

The story of Loren’s parents could’ve spawned hundreds of best-selling romantic comedy films. Dawn and Bill, Loren’s parents, became neighbors when they were seven. Dawn’s family moved into the vacant house across the street which once belonged to Bill’s best friend who’d moved to Indiana a few weeks after school let out. Bill had been very close with Drew and his family, so the idea of someone else living in the home he spent so much time in made him as angry and bitter as a seven-year-old could be. He spent most of that scorching July staring out the living room window, watching moving crews transport box after box into the house, all the while promising his mother he’d never, ever be friends with the new kids.

The Dunbrampton family was eccentric, to say the least. Dawn’s mother had gone into labor with the last of her children on the second day of Woodstock in 1969. Joan Baez had just finished her hour-long set when her water broke, so they decided to name their daughter after the musician—an anecdote Dawn’s father would tell anyone who’d listen, though they didn’t have nearly as fascinating stories about naming Kevin and Dawn. Bill’s family was much more prim and proper, so naturally they told their only son to stay far, far away from “the dirty hippies across the street.”

As the years went by, it grew increasingly difficult for Bill to do as his parents said. He and Dawn were in the same year and since they lived across the street from one another, rode the same bus, which forced them into conversation at least once. If you asked anyone in town, they’d all say Dawn’s older brother Kevin was the coolest kid around. He rode dirt bikes, stayed out past curfew, and all the pretty girls wanted to date him. Bill’s cousin Marlene was no exception, so they started going steady and he started showing up at the Hamilton’s on Marlene’s arm for family functions.

Bill finally said to hell with it during his senior year of high school. All his friends already had dates to prom and they were teasing him mercilessly about having to go stag. This was unacceptable, so when he saw Dawn piling into her brother’s hand-me-down Chevy one morning before school, he asked her to go with him. She didn’t even flinch as she turned him down.

Fate had other plans, however, much as it always does. Bill wound up biting the bullet and going to prom alone, figuring the embarrassment was worth sharing a “doobie” with his friends in the gym bleachers, but once he showed up—an hour late, no less—and found Dawn outside crying, his plans went out the window.

He asked if she’d like a ride home, though he was hoping she’d say no. He’d spent all that money on a suit and his parents would kill him if they found out he didn’t even go inside. But seeing his neighbor crying against the brick exterior of the school, he felt obligated to help.

They laid in the grass of the football field, talking and laughing like they hadn’t been strangers for the last eleven years. When Dawn told him that her date had left her for someone else, he asked her why she’d agree to go to prom with such an idiot. As soon as her laughter settled, he held her hand and asked if she’d like to go back inside—with him, a much better date. She agreed, and they shared their first kiss as a couple a few hours later when he dropped her off at her front door.

There was no denying the chemistry between them. Even Bill’s parents eventually warmed up to the relationship, and when Dawn accepted Bill’s proposal exactly a year later, Bill’s mother offered to take her shopping for a wedding dress.

Loren Drew Hamilton was born on October 17th, 1987.

“The thing I remember most is the way he always looked at her,” Loren said, letting go of a soft sigh as she wrapped up her story. “There was all the love in the world when he looked at her, like she was the most beautiful woman on Earth.”

Sidney didn’t know what to say, having never noticed things like that in his own parents, so he stayed quiet. It was a lot to take in, but Loren wasn’t finished.

“After she died…” Loren took a deep breath, trying to keep herself from crying. It’d been so long since she told anyone this story—all of it, not just the SparkNotes version she’d given Sarah—that it felt surreal, like she was talking about someone else’s mother. “After she died, I think my dad just shut down. He kept up appearances for my sake, but sometimes I’d wake up from a bad dream in the middle of the night and I’d hear him crying.”

“I can’t even imagine that kind of pain,” Sidney replied, grabbing his girlfriend’s hand over the armrest between them. I can’t imagine losing you, he thought. “Your mother sounds like a very beautiful woman.”

“She was,” Loren smiled. “They were both kids when I was born, only nineteen, so they were clueless. Dad started working eighteen-hour shifts at the construction company so Mom could stay home with me. As soon as I started preschool she started taking classes at the community college and had a degree in accounting by the time I started first grade.” She sighed, squeezing Sidney’s hand a little tighter. “She always made sure I never wanted for anything.”

Loren reached for the cup of coffee in front of her with shaky hands. “Eleven years wasn’t enough time.”

What was he supposed to do? He felt helpless, and Sidney Crosby was nothing if not inventive. It’s what made him such a lethal hockey player, and now he was at a loss. Loren wasn’t a scoring algorithm or line formations. She was a real person with real memories and emotions, and now that she was wearing them on her sleeve, he balked.

“I’m sorry,” Loren said, wiping the stray tears from her cheeks with her free hand. “I’m sure me blabbing about my parents for the last two hours wasn’t how you wanted to spend this flight.”

“Don’t apologize,” Sidney replied, pressing a kiss to her temple. “I love when you’re open with me, I just wish it was about something less awful. I don’t know what to say,” he confessed.

“You don’t have to say anything. You listened.”

Sidney offered up a tight-lipped smile, still wishing there was something more he could do. “I love you, Lo,” he told her, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. “I don’t know if I look at you the way your dad looked at your mom, but I promise you I love you that much, and there’s no one else I’d rather be going through this with.”

Loren choked out a sob as she absorbed Sidney’s words. She thought back to her time in Pittsburgh and all the arguments they had. They’d said such awful things to one another, and now he sat next to her on a flight to meet her father. What if he hadn’t called? What if he stood her up that day in February and none of this had ever happened? Who would she be if she’d never fallen in love? Who would she be without him?

The plane glided onto the runway of Erie International Airport a few minutes before ten-o’clock. Loren immediately started digging through her bag in search of her phone, switching it on once it was safe. First class exited first, and once Loren stepped into the tunnel, her phone was attached to her ear.

“My dad’s waiting at baggage claim,” she said, shoving the phone back in her bag. “I can’t guarantee no one’s going to recognize you, so—”

“No,” Sidney said, already knowing where Loren was headed. “I’m done hiding.”

Loren was stunned. “But—”

But nothing, Lo.” He hiked his carry-on higher on his shoulder. “Let them say what they want, I don’t care. You’re my girlfriend and that’s the end of it.”

“Shouldn’t you think about this?” Loren asked, biting the inside of her cheek. They were at a stand-still in the middle of the airport, but no one was watching.

“I just had two hours to think about it. I’m done. No more hats, no more sunglasses. Anyone else would be an idiot to hide you in the background, and I don’t want a free pass just because I’m Sidney Crosby.”

“A free pass? You?” Loren snorted, and Sidney hip-bumped her playfully.

“Don’t get cheeky just because we’re on your turf, Miss Hamilton.”

Loren didn’t reply, just laced their fingers together and headed toward baggage claim. It felt weird being so open with Sid, like she was doing something she shouldn’t be doing, but it was also refreshing. He wasn’t ashamed of her. He didn’t want to shove her in the background or introduce her to his friends as his cousin from Milwaukee. She was his girlfriend, and he treating her as such, come what may.

“How does your dad feel about you dating me?”

“He was at the Cup parades in ’91 and ’92,” Loren answered, “but I think he’s as apprehensive as I was. He’s happy as long as I’m happy.”

Sidney nodded. “Would it work if I bribe him with season tickets?”

“I don’t think so,” Loren chuckled. “You could try, though. Bill is full of surprises.”

As they stepped off the escalator, Loren braced herself for the impact of recognition, but no one looked twice in their direction. The couple shared a look before finding their carousel. Bill stood there with his hands in his pockets as he stared at the large screen that displayed the information for all incoming flights, no doubt waiting with bated breath for his baby girl.

“That’s my dad,” Loren whispered to her boyfriend, nudging him gently in his side.

Sidney’s eyes nearly bulged out of his head. Loren hadn’t mentioned that her dad was nearly twice his size—stocky and probably 6’5”. There was no question where Loren got her long legs, but having seen the photo she kept stuck to her refrigerator, Sidney had always assumed she took after her mother.

That’s your dad?” Loren nodded, trying to stifle her laughter. “How tall is he?”

Loren didn’t reply. She dropped her boyfriend’s hand and ran toward her father, jumping on his back once she reached him. Bill’s bearded face lit up like the Fourth of July as he grabbed onto her legs to keep her in place. They spun in a semi-circle before Loren hopped down, immediately wrapping her arms around his large frame. Sidney’s heart ached at the sight. Had he ever been that excited to see his family?

“I missed you so much, baby,” he heard Bill say into Loren’s hair. “It’s so good to see you.”

“I know, Dad. I can’t believe I almost forgot.”

“Shh, Lo, it’s all right.” Bill and Sidney made eye contact and he smiled. “Introduce me to the man of the hour.”

Loren pulled away from her father and beckoned for her boyfriend. “Dad, this is Sidney. Sidney, this is my dad, Bill.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Hamilton,” Sidney said, extending his hand. Bill shook it firmly, the smile never once leaving his face.

“Pleasure’s all mine, kid. Call me Bill.” Sidney nodded, and Bill turned the conversation back to his daughter. “I figured the orange one was yours,” he said, looking down at the obnoxious Flyers-colored suitcase that sat at his feet. His eyes met Sidney’s again. “How can you stomach being seen with this thing?”

Loren groaned. “Dad.

“It’s hideous is all I’m saying,” he said, smiling knowingly at his daughter’s boyfriend. “Sorry I didn’t grab yours, Sidney. I didn’t know which one belonged to ya.”

Sidney waved off his apology and made his way over to the carousel, grabbing his subtly expensive baggage as soon as he spotted it. Once everything was gathered, Bill led them out of the airport and into the parking garage where a large Toyota truck was parked.

“Oh my god, you didn’t,” Loren groaned again. It took Sidney a while to notice but once he did he nearly fell on the floor.

“Like it?” Bill asked, and there was no way Sidney could tell him the decal of a penguin urinating on the Flyers’ logo was anything close to a bad idea.

“Looks good to me.”

Loren, on the other hand, was horrified. “The only thing worse than this is a license plate that says, ‘My daughter’s dating the captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins!’”

Bill shrugged, once again directing his question at Sidney: “Do they sell those?”

“I’m sure I can get one custom-made.”

They high-fived, and Loren climbed into the front seat of the truck in a huff. She knew the two men in her life would get along swimmingly, but she wasn’t expecting this. Still, she couldn’t help but let a smile creep onto her face as she listened to their animated chatter as they piled the luggage into the bed of the truck.

Is there anyone that could resist Sidney Crosby and all his charm?
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't know if anyone's going to be awake to read this, but if you are, let me know what you think? I really wanted to include the backstory of Loren's parents so I hope you enjoyed that. I also did very light editing/proofreading so I apologize if I missed anything.

I also posted a new blog entry earlier that I would really appreciate you all checking out and giving me feedback on, if you could.

Thank you for reading! As always, I love you all to pieces.