‹ Prequel: Miranda's Men
Status: In progress

The Boy Next Door

Little Numbers

Image


“Miranda, sweetie? Donna was at the door looking for Er – OH MY GOD!”

I sprang awake. The early morning sun was beaming directly into my groggy eyes. Erik was just as startled as I was, and we both instinctively grabbed the covers to make sure we were properly covered.

“MOM, what the FUCK?! It’s called knocking!!”

She was frozen, mouth open, eyes bugged and darting back and forth between Erik and I. Who were in my bed. Together. Naked. I could practically feel the heat emanating from Erik’s dark purple cheeks.

“I – I’m so sorry – I – I didn’t...” After standing in paralyzed fear for a few moments, she whirled around, covered her eyes, and shut the door.

The exact instant my door clicked to a close, Erik flew out of bed, his round ass fully mooning me as he yanked on his boxer briefs. “I gotta go do some serious damage control.”

I rolled my eyes, slumping against the wall. “Knowing our moms, my mom is probably already in your living room talking to her about what you look like naked. Which is pretty damn good, I must say,” I replied, leaning back against my pillow and admiring the view.

“I’m not a piece of meat, y’know,” he said with a smirk, jokingly splaying his hands over his bare body.

“Ooh, a man objectified for the first time in history. My apologies.” I retorted, pressing my palm to my chest and winking.

He chuckled, pulling the same heather grey t-shirt I saw him peel off his torso only twelve hours ago over his head. “Gotta go. At this rate the entire male teenage population of this neighbourhood will be at my door wondering what you look like naked.”

I scoffed, my mouth dropping open. “And what are you going to tell them?”

“Absolutely nothin’. I want you all to myself."

"Hmph," I replied, pondering the meaning of the words that had just come out of his mouth. "Later, Gudbranson.”

“Later, Randa.”

With a wink and a smile, he was gone. No good morning kiss, no time confirmed when he’d call me next...but I snapped myself out of it. He wasn’t Grey. He wasn’t my boyfriend. Even though we’d explored every inch of each other’s bodies from sunset until the wee hours of the morning, things weren’t that way with him, and things were never going to be that way with him, even if I wanted it to be. In only two month’s time, he’d be back in Florida for the year, ready for the start of a new season. He didn’t fit into my life, and I didn’t fit into his. But no matter; if things were the way the way my old life used to be, there was no way things couldn’t go my way.

* * *

“I have something to tell you,” I said excitedly to Greg as I stuck a spoonful of my blizzard in my mouth.

“Me too...but you first.”

“Okay,” I answered, biting my lip and trying not to grin too much. I sighed, collecting myself. “I slept with Erik last night.”

His expression froze. “You’re kidding.”

“I know, right? After the whole speech he gave me the night before I was as surprised as you are. But Grey just showed up at my house and was saying all these crazy things about how he still loved me, and then Erik just showed up and kicked him out, apologized to me, and next thing I knew, we were having sex!”

“Wow,” he said timidly, looking down at the Dairy Queen table and spooning some of his own blizzard into his mouth.

“And then this morning my mom walked in on us totally naked!”

“...Wow,” he said again, shoving an even bigger spoonful into his mouth.

“Now I don’t know what’s going on with us. We’re not dating or anything, but I don’t know if it’ll happen again, or if it won’t because our moms will think we’re actually dating now, or just....ugh!” I buried my face in my sticky hands.

“Well, I’m pretty sure guys don’t sleep with girls they don’t actually want to sleep with. Especially if they're sober.”

I rolled my eyes. “Thanks Greg, I would have never pieced that one together.”

“Why don’t you just ask him?”

I raised a brow derisively at him. “Easier said than done. And how exactly would I just bring that up? The second I go looking for a label he’ll run in the other direction.”

“Is that what you’re looking for? A label?”

“I don’t even know. Honestly, I just want to be happy. When I think about when I was happy, I think of life a year ago; living with my best friend, watching hot guy after hot guy walk in and out of my apartment, without having to worry about getting attached or feelings or any of that bullshit. I just want the old Miranda back.”

Greg shook his head. “Don’t want the old Miranda back.”

I pouted my lips. “Why not?”

“You should never want to move backward when all you'll ever be able to do is move forward. I mean, reminiscing about how delicious this blizzard and wanting it back won’t make it come back. You'll never get to experience how delicious other desserts are...like pie," he said with a smile. I giggled. "You just have to be thankful for what you have now and who you have now. Keep your eyes on the horizon, and make the best of it. Just...trust me on this one. I know.” The way his large brown eyes were glowing reminded me of Erik’s. My mouth hung open as I gazed at him, twirling my red plastic spoon between my fingers. “Besides, the new Miranda is perfect.”

My whole body was still, except for my lips that curled into a genuine smile. “You’re a writer, aren’t you?”

“Yeah, how did you know?”

“Just the way you talk. Leslie’s a writer. I know 'em when I hear 'em. It's definitely something special.”

It was his turn to smile. “Thanks, Miranda.”

I returned it widely. “Okay, now your turn.”

“My turn to what?”

“To say what you wanted to tell me. Spill!”

He cleared his throat, looking into his empty blizzard cup. “Um, I just, uh...wanted to tell you...” I raised my eyebrows expectantly. Spit it out! “...that I got you the life-guarding job.”

I clenched my fists and shook them excitedly. “Ahh! Thank you so much, Greg, you’re the best!! I don’t know how to ever repay you!”

He mumbled something inaudible, but I let it go. I was too excited. Greg was like some kind of angel sent down from the high heavens, blessing me with his poetry and his job offers. I could have kissed him. “The only thing is that your boss knows about your concussion. You can’t start until your concussion symptoms have been gone for a week.”

“That’s fair. When do I get to meet my boss?”

“You’re looking at him.”

No!!”

“Yes!” he replied mockingly. “This summer I’m the camp director, and I’m also in charge of the lifeguarding staff. So you’d better be on your best behaviour, missy, or you’re fired!”

I giggled, standing up and tossing our cups into the trash. “You are by far the least intimidating boss I’ve ever had.”

“Oh really?” he asked, following me as we both headed out the door and towards my car.

“Yup. Never had a boss who was like a little brother.” I said, poking his chest, then continuing to poke him repeatedly. He attempted to defend himself by crossing his forearms over his body, but he was no match for my swift poking technique. He backed up against his car, his ass slamming against the metal as I continued to poke him. Laughing, he grabbed my wrists, whirling me around and pinning me against the car. Both of us breathing heavily, I realized his entire body was pressed against mine. It was nothing like being pressed against Erik; with Greg, it was all frame – but somehow, it was still...nice.

Blinking at him in confusion, he quickly cleared his throat, releasing my wrists and stepping back. “I, uh...sorry.”

“No, no, that’s okay,” I replied quietly, rubbing the back of my neck. “I have to go, I’m meeting Leslie soon.”

“Okay, I’ll...I’ll drive you home.”

“Thanks. Hey, why don’t I drop by the pool tomorrow? Meet my coworkers and stuff.”

He gave me a troubled look. “Sure, but no swimming!”

I rolled my eyes, but gave him a smile. “Yes, boss.”

* * *

Feet dangling in the water, I sat on the edge of the pool and tilted my face towards the sun. I hadn’t seen or heard from Erik since he’d half-nakedly stumbled out of my bedroom the morning before. I’d never experienced something like that before; if I never heard from a guy I’d had sex with again, it was at my hand, not theirs. Plus, with the kind of relationship we had, I never expected the first guy to be Erik.

“SHARK!!” A little girl with short blonde pigtails screamed, flapping her little arms around in the pool. I dramatically jerked my legs out of the water and covered my hands with my face. I stifled a giggle when I saw Greg’s hand poke up from under the surface of the water, weaving around like a shark fin. She shrieked again, the floaties on her arms withholding her from escaping quickly. Her limbs flew around in the water even more frantically as Greg approached. When he was finally in reach of her, he broke the surface and roared, scooping her up in his arms and spinning her around.

“Six-year-old girls are a shark’s favourite meal!” he howled, bearing his teeth. The little girl yelped even louder when he gently tossed her in the water. The splash she made caused the boys around her to wage a splash war, all their ammo fired at Greg. My giggle turned to a full-blown laugh as the boys absolutely doused him, the little girl joining in on the fight.

“You’re the new girl, right?” A female voice asked me. I caught my breath and looked up, the sun shining in my eyes. Holding my hand above them, I saw a dark-haired, olive-skinned girl in the same lifeguard shirt Greg had been wearing.

“You got it,” I replied, getting up to my feet. When I stood, I saw she was even taller, thinner and tanner than I was. Her hair was a shade darker than mine, adding that extra bit of luster in the summer sun. She looked like a Spanish Pocahontas. “Looks like you’re my new coworker?”

“Yeah, I’m Carmen!”

“Miranda,” I said with a smile.

“Great to meet you!” She returned my smile, but her face turned serious. “So, did Greg get you this job?”

“Yeah, he did! He helped me out big time.”

She gave me a radiant smile. “Greg’s great for that. He’s such an amazing guy...he’s so nice, and amazing with kids. Not to mention – ouf,” she stopped, her gaze shifting to something over my shoulder.

I turned around to see Greg standing behind me, pool water cascading down his upper body. “Back to work, huh, ladies?” he said with a crooked smile.

“Sorry Greg, you know how naughty I can be...” Carmen turned on her heels, striding over to the tower.

I slowly turned to Greg and my mouth dropped open. “Oh my god! You two are totally doing the deed, aren’t you!?”

His eyes bugged out of his head. “What? What would make you think that?”

My face dropped, and I gave him a derisive glare. “You’re kidding, right?” His silence and confusion answered my question. “Ask her out!!”

He rubbed the back of his neck and looked at his feet. “I don’t know...”

“Come on! She’s 100% into you and she’s gorgeous. Stunning, even.”

He sighed. “Well, see, the thing is...I’m kind of actually already into some – ”

“Erik?”

Across the pool, I saw a tall figure and familiar smile coming my way. I breezed right past Greg, meeting Erik halfway. Unsure of whether to hug him, or kiss him, or even go near him, I stopped in front of him, crossing my arms over my chest. “What are you doing here?”

“Well, I stopped by at your mom’s a few hours ago to see if you were home and to apologize for the, uh...situation...between us yesterday. She made me coffee and we actually got to talking, and she told me you were here, so I thought I’d surprise you.”

Before I could speak, a young soaking-wet boy ran up to Erik from behind me. “Oh my gosh, you’re Erik Gudbranson!! I have your rookie card!”

“Hey buddy!” Erik crouched down, meeting the height of the young boy. “What’s your name?”

“Kyle!”

“Well it’s very nice to meet you Kyle! Were you just playing volleyball in the pool?”

“Yeah, we just started! Wanna play with us?” He bounded with excitement.

“I’d love to play with you guys! Is it okay if my friend joins us?” he asked, turning his head towards me.

“But she’s a girl!” Kyle exclaimed, sticking out his tongue in disgust.

“She’s a cool girl though, not like all those other ones.” He turned to me again and gave me a wink. Flip, said my stomach.

Kyle reluctantly nodded. “Okay.”

I beamed, chucking my flip flops and sliding out of my pool shorts. I tossed my neon yellow tank top on the lifeguard bench behind me, standing at the edge of the pool in my navy-blue one-piece.

“Hot,” Erik chuckled, looking me over.

“Hey, this is a kid’s public pool! I’m not going to jump in and save a kid in a string bikini.”

“Well that’s a shame,” he replied shrewdly. If I had been any closer, I would have smacked him across the arm. Luckily, Kyle was out of earshot and already in the water, bombing towards the volleyball net.

Erik descended the steps into the water, his eyes locked on me. I giggled when he reached the bottom, his entire upper body still exposed. The second I dipped my toe in, I heard a familiar deep voice behind me. “Miranda! No swimming!!”

“I’m just standing in the water! And if I drown, you get to come save me and be the hero. Win win!" I shouted over my shoulder, wading in. I could hear Greg sigh to himself from where I stood. “Alright boys, show me what you’re made of!”

“You on our team, or theirs?” Kyle asked.

“I’ll be on the other team. I know when I’m not wanted. Plus Erik’s on your team, so you already have a girl!”

The boys crowded around the net erupted in laughter, and Erik’s mouth dropped open. He quickly flicked a wave of water towards me with his massive forearm, and I shielded myself. “Oh you’ll pay for that one, Randa.”

“Bring it.”

* * *

The sun hung on the middle of the horizon, and the pool population had dwindled significantly. The score was 19 to 15, my team one volley away from winning it all. The mothers of all the boys sat impatiently in lawn chairs at the side of the pool, waiting for their sons. I would laugh to myself silently every time I saw one ogling Erik’s spike. His team was huddled across the net, his entire body crumpled underwater except for his neck. His eyes were on me as Kyle whispered to the team. He gave me a slow smile, and I could have tore right through the net to get to him. They broke their huddle, and Erik stood up straight, water streaming down the rises and falls of his upper body. The heads of the moms shot over like deer that had heard a gunshot. The tallest of the boys served the ball over, the ball just grazing the net. A small boy on my team bumped the ball to the left, and his older brother set it, high in the air. It was coming down straight towards me. This was spike was mine, to finish it all off. I had to strike a balance; soft enough to be fair, but hard enough to make it a challenge. I struck that balance as perfectly as the ball of my hand smacked the volleyball, causing it to hurtle over the net and towards the water on the other side. All six boys, including Erik, reached for the ball, but I beamed as I heard the slap of the ball against the surface of the water. My team roared in excitement, bounding up and down in the water. “We won!!” they shouted excitedly. I high-fived all the members of my team firmly, giving the ones who were tall enough a pat on the back.

“Come on boys, out you go! The pool’s closing!” A mom shouted comfortably from a lawn chair.

“Aw Moooom!” Kyle whined, trudging sadly out of the water. As the boys exited, their mothers greeted them with towels and snacks.

Erik and I lingered in the water, and his arms were folded. “I guess you beat me fair and square, huh?”

I nodded, giving him a wicked smile. “So what’s my prize?”

“Is my presence not enough?” he quipped, batting his dark eyes at me.

“I didn’t remember you being so stingy.” I waded closer towards him, thankful that the mothers were quickly filing out with their sons.

“How’s dinner?” he asked.

I bit the inside of my cheek. “Well I have a better idea, and they say that you should wait half an hour after you eat before you swim. And I was never good at waiting.” Erik’s smile was confused, but genuine. “Hey Greg!”

In the building at the side of the pool, Greg’s spiky head poked out of his office. “Yeah?”

“Is it cool if we stay here a little longer?” I reached the steps and made my way towards him.

“You’re not going to keep swimming, are you? You should rest.”

“I’ll be careful.”

“You’ve been out in the sun all day, playing volleyball, and now you want to stay longer? This can’t be good for your concussion, I don’t think it’s a good idea.”

I was in his office, towel around my waist, plunked on the edge of the desk. “If he still spoke to me, you’d sound like my dad. Why are you making such a big deal out of it?”

Because Miranda. Because...I care about you.”

Suddenly, his face had gone serious. His mouth hung open slightly, which caused my stomach to tighten. “What?”

“I mean...I care about my staff. I don’t want to see any of them unwell.”

I straightened up a little. “Oh! Of course. But I’m not dumb, Greg. I won’t do anything stupid. Plus I think if I wanted any non-lifeguard in charge of my safety, it’d probably be Erik. I mean he did take a punch for me.” Greg eyed me, frozen. "Please?" I pouted, drawing out my lower lip. "It'll make me happy."

Greg sighed, looking down at his lap. After a few moments of silence, he finally pointed to a nail on the wall that held a hanging key ring. “Just lock up when you’re done, okay?”

“Thank you thank you thank you!” I chirped, hugging him tightly around his neck. He squirmed at my wet upper body, but smiled. I jokingly pressed more water against his head, not realizing I had been practically rubbing my tits in his face until I was standing outside of his office.

Stunned, Greg collected his things and staggered out of the office, shutting the door. “Have fun, you two. And Erik, don’t let her do anything dumb, right?”

“Of course. I am the king of doing dumb things so other people don’t!” Erik replied, motioning to his bruised knuckles. With a quick wave, Greg disappeared.

“Okay, let’s get out of here!” I hissed silently, motioning for him to get out of the water.

“I thought we were going to swim some more?”

“Nope. I got these,” I replied, twirling the key loop around my finger suggestively. “All a part of the plan.”

“What plan?” he asked giddily.

“Just you wait, Gudbranson. Just you wait.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Boy - Little Numbers

Sorry that it took me so long to update, it was a combo of things. I had maaad writer's block, I randomly got super super busy aaand I started writing a NEW story which I'm really excited about :) It's kind of a super story, about a whole bunch of big-name NHL-ers during All-Star weekend! I'm going to make sure to have it mostly written (or know the entire story will go) before I publish it so I don't go weeks without updating and get writer's block etc etc. Keep your eyes open for it, it's coming very soon!!!