‹ Prequel: The Pauper Princess
Status: Currently undergoing renovations.

The Game

[Not truly a sequel, just a re-write of The Pauper Princess]

“I can’t believe you’re leaving me.”

“Siya, it’s just a few days. I’ll be back before you even have time to miss me.” He smirks and bumps my shoulder, sending me into a wall.

“Oh, I’m not worried about missing you,” I say, dusting off my shoulder. “I’d much rather miss the party in two days.” I continue walking, pretending myself too mature to play his childish games. Just as he takes his next step, though, I kick the heel of his boot without looking down. Catching him off guard isn’t easy, but he falters for a moment. He quickly rights himself, but before he can reach me I’m already racing down the hall.

In just a few short steps he’s already caught up to me. He grabs me around the waist just as I’m about to round into the main hall and pulls me back into an alcove. I struggle, still laughing, until his hand clamps over my mouth.

“Wait,” he whispers. I immediately stop moving and strain to hear whatever it is he’s heard. I slow my breathing and finally hear it: heavy steps- most likely men’s- getting closer. I push my back against my brother’s chest, easing us further out of sight.

There’s no real danger if we’re caught, but this is a game I hate to lose. My brother has trained me from the age of five to perfect the art of stealth. Years of practice have allowed me to hone my senses and be alert to all threats. I should have known the guards were there. During this part of the hour they pass through the main hall on the way to the courtyard. I wait until the footsteps fade to elbow him in the stomach.

“You goaded me,” I accuse. “That’s the only reason I didn’t-“

“And that’s the lesson,” he interrupts. I can practically hear his lopsided smirk. He pushes me ahead of him out of the alcove and we continue into the now empty main hall. “You have to be aware of your surroundings at all times. It should be second nature, something you do without even thinking of it.”

“I know.” I’m still sulking, but I know he’s right. If I want to be the best, there’s no room for excuses.