‹ Prequel: The Pauper Princess
Status: Currently undergoing renovations.

The Game

Twelve

It’s hard to explain what I was feeling. I was mad that he’d pushed me away for so long. I was furious at Sheta, my brother’s closest friend, for betraying us. I was upset with myself for believing the very worst of my brother, but most of all I was just happy to have my best friend back. All those emotions just overwhelmed me, and I’m sad to say I did start crying. It’s unbelievable, I know, that we could start over like that. I still have trouble believing it myself sometimes.

Nothing was changed, though. I was still betrothed, I was still leaving in less than a week, and I was still determined to follow through with my plan. Despite Kahlin’s confessions, I kept my plan a secret. I did, however, finally accept his offer to have Mehta go to Lequin with me. This would have been the trickiest part of my plot otherwise.

After that, arrangements were finalized, provisions packed, and my departure was set. I bided my time as the last of my things were packed away and I was fitted for various ornate gowns and soft leather boots. I met with Mehta once, briefly, when I was allowed to visit the healer’s cottage. She was reluctant at first to go along with the ruse, but when she realized she’d be coming either way, she agreed. When the day came to leave the city we had forever called home, I sensed that Mehta was actually excited.

During the procession from the castle to the city gates, I went through the variables that could ruin my plan. I studied the guards that had been chosen to take me to Lequin. Most of their badges identify them as members of the Royal Knights’ second squad. Each is ranked fairly high, though two stand out alarmingly. The first is not of the second squad; he is the General of Kyshia’s militia. The second stands out because he is ranked significantly higher than the others, with the exception of the General. This could be the undoing of my plan. Ekohl, my former sparring partner, is the twelfth member of the squad.