‹ Prequel: The Pauper Princess
Status: Currently undergoing renovations.

The Game

Twenty-two

Even the disgusting gruel that was served for supper that evening could do little to hamper my good mood. The last loose end was all tied up now that Ekohl agreed to say nothing. I could tell he wasn’t happy with being bullied into it, he never did like me bossing him around, but as long as he cooperated things would proceed smoothly.

I explained Ekohl’s passive aggressive agreement as we laid in our tent that night. She was understandably relieved that he would not hinder us, and for the first time she let herself be excited about the future. I had told Ekohl that Mehta agreed to this, and I had hoped she actually wanted to be involved, but I’d hardly considered she might be excited about it.

Marrying someone I know nothing about was never something I wanted, but was it possible Mehta didn’t care? I asked Mehta about it, and suddenly her smile faltered. “After my parents died,” she explained, “I thought I’d never have this. They exiled me with the apprenticeship to the healer, and I thought I was going to end up just like that old crone.” I reached out for her hand and told her she didn’t have to continue, but she shook her head.

“You are one of the only people who doesn’t shun me, Siya. You’re my only real friend. I would do anything for you, but that’s not why I agreed to help. I wanted a chance to be someone else, to have people look me in the eye and not avoid me completely. The truth is, I loved dressing up and being you for that party. My only worry is that I’m getting the better end of this deal.” She laughed for a moment, and the infectious joy was back. As long as Mehta was happy and I wouldn’t have to be the one marrying a stranger, I didn’t much care about the rest of the details.