‹ Prequel: The Pauper Princess
Status: Currently undergoing renovations.

The Game

Twenty-nine

It wasn’t long after continuing that I heard the horns. The high, piercing sound cut right through the fog and sent a chill down my spine; it sounded like a scream. The horses immediately started panicking, and I was terrified my unruly mount was going to buck me off. She pulled harshly at the rope tethering her to the carriage.

Before I could think to do something, orders were bellowed through the air. Ekohl materialized from the fog, telling me to get off the horse. As soon as my feet hit the ground he took my arm in one hand and cut my horse’s lead rope with the sword he held in his other. The poor beast took off at once, running blindly into the fog and disappearing in an instant.

I didn’t watch long, though, because Ekohl pulled me away. Ducking under some of the other leads that were still attached, he dragged me around to the other side of the carriage. It wasn’t that I was resisting, but the suddenness of whatever was happening was disorienting. He released my arm to open the door and I finally looked around me. I could see the guards forming a wall around the carriage. Each had their weapon drawn, readying themselves to fight an invisible force.

I could hear Ekohl talking, but I don’t think it was me he was addressing. I heard Mehta say something, and she touched my shoulder, but at that moment our adversaries appeared. They seemed to materialize out of the fog, or maybe that was just the effect of the white furs they wore. I didn’t see much else, though, because Ekohl’s hands were grabbing my waist, hoisting me into the carriage and unceremoniously shoving me against Mehta.

Then the door was slammed shut, narrowly missing my ankle. It blocked out most of the little light the day had to offer, but the noise outside could still be heard.