Status: Active?

All I Need

Heal My Nightmares

The week had gone by achingly slow for Fate. Her birthday this Saturday was taking forever; meanwhile, she kept having these horrible nightmares. It started out where she was standing in a field, or a clearing. The field was filled with beautiful flowers, but then the ground began to shake and it cracked open, pulling her inside where it slammed shut on her. And that’s when she’d wake up, her heart pounding inside her chest like a hammer, her hair everywhere, and her throat dried and choked.

It was almost 2 o' clock on an even colder Thursday then that Sunday when she had picked out her dress. Snow beat against the windows, smacking her out of her daydreams. She thought about the party. She thought about the roses. But most of all, she thought about that little boy she had met outside the toyshop.

She kept asking herself how she could’ve remembered something so suddenly and from so long ago. She knew she had no reply, but even know the boy was still beautiful, or cute, or however she could put it. She remembered his messy black hair, and his slender pale hands. It was almost like watching a movie in her that she never got tired of.

She remembered his smile, the corners of his lips curling into a soft and sincere greeting. She remembered how tall and lean he was where Fate was small and petite. She had only been five, then. I wonder what he looks like now? She thought.

Oh, what am I thinking? She sighed. He’s long gone, she thought again, but couldn’t help imagining shaggy black hair, and a lean body.

He could be nothing like that, she threatened herself. He could be…over-weight with pimples accenting his stubby pot belly and large ears pocking out of his head. She laughed. No, that boy would be nothing like that. Looking like he had, she knew he had to be just as beautiful as she imagined. Maybe even more.

“Is that you, Fate? What are you doing up so late?” Ella turned on the bright light above the kitchen table. This was usually where the maids ate, but she didn’t really care.

Fate cringed from the lights, shading her eyes until she was used to it. Ella muttered “sorry” and sat beside her, tightening her night coat around her.

“What are you doing up?” She questioned, looking down at her glum look.

Fate sighed, cuddling into her arms as she wrapped the coat around her to keep warm. “Nightmares.”

“Ah.” Ella sighed, patting her on the back. “Dreams are necessary to life.” She quoted Anais Nin with great passion, looking dreamily up at the ceiling.

Fate smiled, “Yes, but not the dream that I had.”

Her face became serious. “Why? What happened?”

She sighed but told her what happened, “I…was in a field of all these pretty flowers and…then the ground shook and it opened right in front of me…it swallowed me…” She almost choked on the words, remembering how realistic it was and how much it had scared her. “And then it closed.”

“Hmm…” Ella replied, rubbing her chin in thought. “You know, that reminds me of a story in Gr—“

They both jumped as a clump of ice smacked the window. Ella sighed, putting a hand over her heart in order to calm it down. “Oh, lord!” She breathed, walking over to make sure there were no cracks in the window.

“You know what? I’m going to bed.” She sighed, kissing Ella on the cheek. “Good night.”

She still seemed startled. “Uh…yes. Yes, goodnight, dear. Sleep well.” She seemed to be in deep concern, but Fate shook it off and went to bed.

Image

Fate stood at the top of the stairs, staring down at the ballroom and all the people working hard to make everything right. It was tradition to do it the night before the Day of the Rose, but it meant everyone had to work twice as hard as if they had started last week. It usually took until midnight to finish, or even ‘till two. She winced at the thought, not wanting to be up late.

The room was elegant gold, with beautiful pillars and the wide staircase leading up to the balcony overhang of the entire floor. Behind her, the wall was entirely made of glass, showing the starry night outside and then the garden down at the bottom. The moon would be full tomorrow, and knew the scene would be absolutely perfect for the event.

Her mother came up from behind her, putting her hand on her shoulder. “Hello, dear.” She greeted, and came to stand in front of her with a clipboard in hand. Her mother rambled on about the plans, reminding her she had to help, too. Fate knew very well that she had to help. She did every year!

Fate jogged down the stairs quickly, almost tripping over her feet, and helped Clarice carry a heavy box over to the refreshments table.

“Set it down carefully, dear. It contains the punch bowl.”

She did as she was told, wiping her hands on her jeans because something sticky had stuck to her fingers from the box. She turned to Clarice for more orders.

Instead, it seemed she made conversation instead. “You know,” she started with a curious tone, “I didn't think you turned out like this, Fate.”

“What do you mean? Turn out like what?” She replied, confused as she followed her to get another box from the entrance which held the cups. Fate grabbed one, too, and they continued talking as they headed back to the table.

She couldn’t seem to put it in words for a few seconds, until she spoke again. “I’ve met a lot of people, Fate. Most rich. I thought…you would just be another one of them." She caught my appalled glance and added, “Just listen.”

They two set the boxes on the ground and began to open its contents of glass cups. They continued their conversation, slight confusion in both their eyes.

“You see, your mama kind of let the "rich" thing go to her head. She was a brat for years until her boyfriend set her straight. But you didn't turn out like I thought. You turned out different from all those snotty children I’ve met. Most girls your age would frown upon that.” She motioned to her outfit which was a laid back pair of jeans and a ratty, baggy t-shirt with a large “27” on the front. Fate shrugged. Just because she came from a rich family didn’t mean she cared. She didn’t care what people thought, because there was nothing to really say about her.

“Yes, I know.”

“The point is I’ve never met anybody more perfect then you.” Clarice looked up at her, pausing from her work.

Fate looked up at her, something like butterflies or baby tigers pouncing in her stomach, and a soft pink grew on her cheeks. “Oh, uh…no. I’m not perfect.”

Clarice just smiled as they continued their work in silence.

“How are things going, Fate?” Fate turned just as she finished setting out the cups, turning around to see a sweaty Lucy standing tall and firm in front of her. The girl wiped sweat from her brow as she looked at Fate with big moss green eyes.

“Oh…” Fate replied tiredly, “Good so far. Has there been any trouble yet anywhere else?” She glanced around, searching for anyone who needed help.

“Oh, uh, no.” She replied, nervously rubbing the back of her neck. Lucy was always like this. Shy, and…would secretive be the word? Fate hoped not. “Would you…like any help?” She gently pushed a strand of frizzy brown hair off her shoulder, looking down at Fate.

Fate always suspected Lucy was nervous about her height. Embarrassed, really, but Fate refused to feel sorry for her. There was absolutely nothing wrong with her. In her opinion, Lucy was very beautiful. She had long, skinny limbs, wearing shirts that usually showed her arms, and lengthy skirts. She wore a plaid one right now, even though winter was crashing about outside. She wore a white button-up with a thick navy blue sweater hovering over it.

What could possibly make her so nervous around her, though?

“Sure.” Fate replied, grabbing her hand. She turned back to Clarice. “Is there anything else we could do?”

Clarice put a quizzical finger to her chin. “Why don’t you girls go put up posters outside the place? It would help passerby remember.”

“Everyone knows about the Day of the Rose. Everyone’s coming.” Fate mumbled, reminding her kindly of that detail.

“I know…I was trying to keep you busy.” Clarice said, patting her cheek playfully.

“We’ll do that, if you really want us to.” Fate quickly put in. It hadn’t occurred to her that she had been serious.

“Good,” she put a stack of heavy flyers in her hands, “Go put ‘em up outside.”

Fate and Lucy walked outside, slipping on their coats, and began to hang the flyers around the front gates, putting them on posts and trekking through the snow. When they came back, they were told that enough had been done, and that they could go home. She waved farewell to Lucy and told her mother to meet her back home.

When Fate got home, her nose and cheeks cold and red, she set her stuff down and walked to the library. She read for a while, became bored, and before she knew it, it was midnight.

Finally, she thought. I’ve finally found something to do: Dream!

But when she woke up the next morning, a feeling of dread washed over her. Her whole body shook and she cuddled farther under the covers, even though she knew she should get up.

What could possibly ruin this perfect day?

Fate shuddered, pulling the covers around her shoulders as she sat upright in bed. She struggled to remember the nightmare she had had, but all she could remember was black hair. This time, when the ground cracked open, a boy with messy black hair had pushed her in.

I will not let this get in my way today, she thought stubbornly, glancing out the large window as snow plastered to the glass. She got out from under the covers and touched the glass with her fingers, gingerly stepping across the room. It’s coldness seemed to seep through the glass, chilling her to the bone.

She never liked winter.

Fate pulled away, shuddering, and stalked back to sit on her bed.

She really needed to get a schedule or something, she thought. She never had many close friends, but she did have friends. Picking up her phone on the side dresser, she dialed in a number and listened to the ringing a minute before there was a distorted sound (probably someone picking up the phone) and someone said softly, “H-hello?”

“Hi, Lucy.” Fate muttered into the old fashioned phone, glancing around her room.

“Oh…hello, Fate. D-did you need something?” She stammered into the phone. Fate twirled the black phone cord in her fingers, wondering why Lucy had always been shy around her, even on the phone. What does it take for this girl to open up?

“I was wondering if you would like to come over and we could get ready for the party? You could stay for lunch, and we would have a lot of fun.” Fate promised, praying for the answer she wanted.

“Oh, uh…sure. I’d love to. You…you want me to come over know?”

“In a couple of hours, I think.” Fate fell back on her bed, planning to run her fingers through her hair, but ending up hitting the headboard. “I’ll talk to…later.” She muttered, rubbing the pain on the back of her head. The phone clicked and she moaned, holding her head.

“Miss?” A voice sounded from behind the door. “Miss, are you alright?”

“Ow…” Fate halfway sat up. “Yeah, uh…you can come in.”

A small maid with frilly brown hair came in, almost shaking. She had a fairly large nose and small, rolled in lips. She shuddered.

“Have you been outside?” Fate asked, wondering if she had just gotten frozen from the snow.

“N-N-No.” She said, “Y-your mother wants you ready for breakfast in five.”

She must be new, Fate thought. I don’t recognize her. Before the girl ran out, Fate asked, “Wait! What’s your name?”

The girl froze. “Marilla.” She answered, her voice shaking.

“Nice to meet you, Marilla.” Fate smiled widely. “I’m Fate, and I hope you find this place suitable for you.”

“Oh…” Marilla scratched the back of her neck. “I’m fine, thank you.” She managed a smile. A real smile that wasn’t filled with fright. She walked quickly out of the room.

Fate dressed and headed down to breakfast, where her mother awaited at the table. They started a casual small talk and eventually, Fate questioned, “Mother? May I invite Lucy for lunch? We wanted to get ready for the ball together.”

Her mother looked a bit shocked. Fate had never invited friends over. She knew a lot about Fate. Fate was usually a loner.

But that doesn’t mean she can’t get lonely, Mother scorned herself silently.

Mother wiped away her shock looked and replaced it with a smile. “Of course. But may I do your hair, Fate? We always do it on the Day of the Rose.”

Fate smiled, remembering that short tradition they always had. “Of course.” Fate took another bite of pancake. “May I be excused?”

Her mother nodded, and Fate walked out of the dining hall, thanking the maids as she passed the kitchen doorway.

She hung out in the library a while, not bothering to read anything, and waited silently for at least two hours, until she heard the doorbell at exactly 11:45 on the mark. She had been counting.

Fate rushed to the door, calmed herself, and opened it, greeting a tall, shy Lucy as she waved slightly. The girl gasped as she grabbed her hand and dragged her up the stairs, all the way to her room.

“I like your room.” Lucy commented, gazing around wondrously. “What do you want to do?”

“Well, we have too much time, so…let’s think about what to do with your hair. You do have your dress, right?”

“Yep.” Lucy waved large suitcase in the air. Her dress must be as big as mine, Fate thought.

“May I see?” Fate asked, watching as Lucy planted herself onto her bed with her.

Her face brightened. “Sure!” She offered, unlocking the clasps and gazing at an emerald green fabric. Fate gazed at the dress, mesmerized by the overall color. It was freshly accented in gold trim, beautifying the dress more than it already was.

“Oh, my…It’s beautiful.” Fate couldn’t wait to see it on her.

“Thank you.” Lucy replied, lowering her voice as if it were a secret.

They talked about the party for at least thirty minutes straight, before they were called down for lunch. Her mother and Lucy seemed to have more in common than Fate and her friend. All three talked heartily, eating Panini sandwiches. Smiles never disappeared from their faces.

A sharp sting in her stomach reminded her of her dream, and she gulped down her horror, along with the prediction of “a bad thing happening.” Nothing will ruin this for me, she thought, letting fake courage sweep through her.

After lunch, which ended up being two hours longer then intended, the girls left the table and watched Vampire Diaries a little while, and then Fate showed her around the mansion. Never forgetting to reveal to her the library.

Then, it was six, and they began to get dressed, slipping on their dresses and doing each other’s make-up. Fate’s was simple: eyeliner, mascara, and lip gloss. Lucy’s was almost as simple: Eyeliner, heavy mascara, and major sparkling green eye shadow. She looked almost like a serpent queen, except not mean, and cold-hearted. Her front part of her chestnut brown hair was pulled back, and the reast cascaded around her. She looked absolutely breathtaking.

“Why don’t you go wait in the car?” Fate asked at around eight. Lucy nodded; excitement that couldn’t be contained would be spewing from her face if it would let her.

Her mother walked in then, just as Lucy walked out. “You ready, Darling?” She questioned, referring to her hair. She looked very elegant in her midnight blue dress, her faded orange hair curled to perfection and her lips painted light pink.

Fate sat down in front of the dresser mirror, and her mother began to work, taking out her natural curls and redoing them to more precise ones. Fate wanted her hair to be kept down, as she had had it every year.

Her mother finished, gazing at themselves in the mirror. “Are you ready, honey?”

“I’m ready.”
♠ ♠ ♠
hehe