Status: In progress :)

Catch My Breath and Go For It

Chapter 3

Friday came and went in a haze of sticky fingers, flour, and screaming toddlers. Fantastically, I fell asleep late, due to having to sleep on the couch, thanks to Shaye and her new boyfriend having 'fun' in her bedroom. Loudly.

And all.

Fucking.

Night.

So, needless to say, no one needed to ask me if I was in a bad mood, come Saturday morning.

Image

Saturday April 16, 2014

Ah fuck, I was late. Again.

I ran my hands through my hair in a futile attempt to tame the auburn mess, applied some messy eye makeup, threw on some shorts, a black Ramones t-shirt and converse and scoffed a bowl of coco-pops. (They're nutritious, I swear.) Snatching Shaye's keys from the counter, (sweet revenge) I sprinted to the car and drove the quick way to the station.

When I was finally seated in the most secluded part of the train I could find, away from all the screaming toddlers and creepy paedophiles, I jammed my earphones in, turned my music up, and attempted beating my high score at multiple apps. Around my 3rd attempt at Temple Run, the doors opened once again. Engrossed in making sure the little man didn't fall of the log, I only looked up when I felt the seats jolt, guessing someone had sat near me. I wiped my bangs away from my face and looked up, hoping it wasn't some 70 year old wanting to look down my shirt. Instead, I saw Rian sitting in front of me, grinning like a fool. I couldn't fathom the reason, however.

"Hey!" He said with a smile. I bit my lip, attempting to hide the smile that was threatening to escape my lips; I was kinda glad to see him. Considering the impression I made on him last week, I couldn't think of a single reason for him to be sitting there. So, naturally…

"Why are you sitting there?" I asked him bluntly. I mean hey, I'm a bitch in the morning, and today I didn't even try not to be. Unsurprisingly, he returned the question with a confused look. And then with a… grin?

"Oh, you know. Chance. A run of luck. Picked up a four leaf clover on the way here." I raised an eyebrow, hopefully looking unamused.

"So, you mean to say, that out of 6 carriages, each with around 20 seats in them-"

"Did you count them?"

"No." I narrowed my eyes. "It was an estimate. But in every carriage there are at least 6 hot girls in them, yet you choose the seat in front of me and call it chance?" Rian was silent for a moment, then threw his head back and started laughing. "What? Why are you laughing? Did I do something? Tell me!"

He supressed his laughter and looked me in the eyes again. They were some beautiful eyes. "Well, yeah. That is chance."

I hesitated, then "You're crazy."

He chuckled. Violate me now please I mean what. "Maybe, but it was chance that I picked this carriage, actually. "Besides, there are plenty of other hot redheads I could have sat with." I rolled my eyes.

"Suit yourself." But I did start rummaging through my bag aimlessly, trying to hide the blush that had risen on my face at the sort-of compliment.

Rian leant forward. "So," He said, putting on an exaggerated, girly American accent. "What's the deal? What is the 411?" I cringed and hid my face behind my hand with second hand embarrassment.

"Really?" I mumbled.

"Really." Rian smiled. "But really, where are you from?"

"Erm, Melbourne originally." Note to self: Cure over sharing habit. "My family moved to Brisbane when I was 5, at 18 I moved out of home and stayed at my Aunts house in London for my Gap Year, about halfway through I got sick of the constant grey skies, and moved back here for a while and lived with my parents. When I was 20 I bought a flat and started sharing with Shaye. I failed uni, got a job at Bakers Delight and now I…uh…" I drifted off the sentence, realising I was nervously rambling. Let's add that to my note as well. Ugh, and in front of a guy, as well! I repeat, S O C I A L L Y A W K W A R D. "Uh, you?" His brow furrowed.

"I…uh…" He was avoiding my eyes for some reason. "I was born in Baltimore like I told you…uh…travelled around the world and worked in …various places for a couple of years as soon as I got out of school. I went to uni in Sydney late last year, moved here a month ago and work at Rocking Horse."

"Sounds interesting."

"Yeah, it was. So, age?"

"Are you interrogating me? 26."

"Maybe. 27." He grinned. "Why di-"

"My turn." I interrupted. "Two can play this game. Where did you go on your travels?"

"Uh… everywhere. I… get bored easily, so I went to England, around America, Brazil, the Philippines, japan. I came here a few times as well."

"Were you alone?"

"A few friends."

"Why did you-"

"Shouldn't it be my turn?" Rian interrupted me.

"No." I said stubbornly. "Why did you stop?"

"We wanted to do other things, got kind of sick of each other, wanted to do other things. My turn." He grinned. "Are you single?" I raised my eyebrows. And laughed. I laughed hard. This was funny shit. Like, side splitting, holy-shit-that-panda-just-sneezed funny.

"YOU." Gasp "ARE." Gasp "HILARIOUS!" I had to catch my breath then, I had been laughing so hard.

"Why are you laughing? What did I say?" I looked up through my watery eyes and regained my composure.

"Nice one, I almost wet myself. Oh yeah, and you asked if I was single, implying that you thought I might have a boyfriend. That was why I was laughing."

He looked at me curiously. OhmyGOD he was attractive. "Why wouldn't you?" Touchy subject.

"So your friends, where do they live?" I changed the topic abruptly.

He shook his head, as if he was clearing it and spoke. "As far as I know, 2 of them are living in New York or Baltimore, and one is travelling." He glanced at my shirt. "What do you listen to?"

I looked down as well, fingering the loose material and remembering where I got it from…

It was some Saturday afternoon, Shaye and I had been walking around the Southbank markets for a while when I spotted my shop. It had all kinds of band shirts. I ran over. "Shaye! Look!" She walked over as I picked out a black shirt with the Ramones symbol on it, rubbing the soft material over my fingers.

"Can I help you?" I looked up into the brown eyes of the stall owner. I motioned to the shirt.

"Can I take this one?" He smiled.

"Sure, $15." As I handed him the money another shirt caught my eye. It was black, with bright pink writing. In a stack, it read. "Alex&Jack&Zack&Rian&ALL TIME LOW. I watched as a girl, around 15, picked it off the rack and showed it to her friend, her face glowing with happiness.

…Rian. I snapped out of my flashback, shook my head and looked at Rian. "Sorry, uh… It sort of ranges? I'm not really like Shaye; she's into the booty-shaking stuff. I'm more into bands like… like Blink-182, erm... Tonight Alive, My Chemical Romance, You Me at Six…" My mind wandered and more flooded into my head, repeating what I'd said countless times before, "…A Day To Remember, Sleeping With Sirens, We Are the In Crowd, Breathe Carolina, Fall Out Boy, Green Day, The Maine, Mayday Parade, Every Avenue, Hey Monday, New Found Glory… I'm sorry, I'm rambling again. I'm used to rattling those off. And that's the abridged version." He grinned and shook his head. You know, that shake of the head that you do that's like 'Oh you silly thing, you.'? That's what he did. It was so cute. "

"No! It's cute. So you like Blink?" SQUEEEE HE THINKS IM CUTE. Okay, calm. Calm down. No biggie. Talk. Calm.

"Yeah, my older sister got me into music when I was 14. Some of my first CD's were albums like American Idiot, Enema of State, and stuff like that. This, of course, ensured that I was an impeccably polite and conforming teenager." Rian laughed at that. Eep.

"Let me guess, your parents had no problem with you at school, you were the poster child of success, your hair was neat, no uniform embellishments, and you never, ever got into fights?"

"I got suspended twice." I admitted. "But in my defence, the first time someone called me an 'emo faggot', so I decked her. The second time a guy grabbed my arse in the hall, so I kicked him in the balls, waited for him to bend over and kneed him in the head." I shrugged. "Music teaches you not to take people's shit, I guess."

Rian smiled. "I don't blame you, the school sounded shit." I smirked.

"Basically,"

He sighed. "So, have you seen the new Sherlock Holmes movie?"

"Not yet, apparently it's really good. I was thinking of seeing it with my friend Sophie, she has this weird obsession with Jude Law." I don't suppose I need mention my soft spot for Robert Downey Jr., either. The last Sherlock movie almost had me in tears when he fell off the edge of the balcony. He survived of course, he's freaking Sherlock Holmes. But dear lord he is amazing.

I heard Rian say something and snapped out of my stupor. "Sorry, what was that?"

He shook his head, I'm guessing at my lack of focus. "I said do you want to see it with me?"

My eyes widened in surprise at the offer, the cheeky bastard! He was cute though. I'd get in those pants. But it was very unlikely, being me and all. I'd date him if he wasn't almost a complete stranger. "Are you asking me out on a date?" He looked down at his feet and shuffled them around.

"Maybe?"

I sighed. Perhaps he was a little drunk? Though he seemed quite sober. No idea what had gotten into him though. Weed?

"No."

"No?"

"No! I hardly know you!" His face fell. I can't help that I'm so blunt.

"Can I have your number at least?" I furrowed my brow and considered it for a moment. On one hand, the guy was really cute… and I may be developing a crush on him. On the other hand, I hardly knew him.

"Err… No. But I'll take yours!" I beamed at him. I do astound myself with my intelligence sometimes.

"Awesome!" He took the chance and sat on the seat next to me. I gave him my number, and we started playing tap tap revenge to pass the time. He beat me at a Breathe Carolina song, I punched him in the arm, but I totally trumped him on some song called 'Dear Maria' or something. Of course, he can't hit a girl, so he glared at me for about 3 seconds, and then challenged me to another game.

I can't help thinking that maybe he genuinely likes me.

And, absurdly enough, I think I feel the same.
♠ ♠ ♠