Status: Discontinued. I am done with bandoms and RPFs.

Take Your Time

The Only Ones Here

January 11th 2012

Anaheim, CA


Addie had never been so happy about the heat from a show; it was pretty cold outside in her opinion. She tightened her jacket around her body as she walked, wondering quietly about how the weather was in Glendale at the moment. Fortunately, she was born and raised in Baltimore so even though it wasn’t as cold as New York, she was pretty much used to cold weather. Yeah, she had been to New York before, it’s a good city but she liked Glendale better.

The last time she was in New York, she was with her brother and her mother. She had to wear at least three layers of clothing because it was freezing; they stayed in the hotel most of the time. Her brother, of course, took liberty to make fun of her and throw insults here and there about her.

“Addie!” She heard and she sighed because she knew Dan wouldn’t call her, he sounded different, she’d bet five dollars it was either someone from The Summer Set, The Cab, or Godsey... who was in some band named My Girl Friday or something, she never really cared.

As expected, it was Godsey. He was smiling at her, as if he was really happy to see her because she was pretty sure he wasn’t. Who would be happy having a buzzkill photographer on tour? “We’re going to the bar in about ten minutes, you’re coming right?” He asked her in a friendly tone.

“Um...” She scratched the back of her head, shyly looking at her shoes, “No, thanks, I’ll go straight to the hotel, I’ll take a cab,” She politely declined the offer with a small fake smile.

He raised an eyebrow at her choice of words, it's a pretty rare thing for an American to say 'cab', but shrugged it off. “Are you sure? You’re going to be alone at the hotel, have you asked Sinclair for the check-in information?” He asked her. In his opinion, no one should be stuck in a hotel room during tour when everyone’s out drink at a bar.

“Yeah,” She answered quietly, “I don’t like drinking,” She tried to give a relevant reason because she didn’t like how he was looking at her.

“You don’t have to drink, just be with us, get together,” He tried to give her a reason to come with them. Who knew he could hit it off with her if she was a little bit tipsy, he thought she was interesting.

“Thanks, but no,” She stayed by her previous decision, being as stubborn as ever.

He nodded, “Okay, but you’re welcome to ride at out van if you decide otherwise, alright?” He retorted with a smile before leaving her alone in the crowd. He was pretty sure she wasn’t going to take up his offer though; she didn’t look like she was up for it. Bummer, he thought he’d have fun flirting with her tonight.

Ignoring Godsey’s kind offer, Addie took a stroll once again, taking random pictures as she did so. Even though it wasn’t crowded anymore, some fans were still around at the venue. She wasn’t sure why they were there, but it wasn’t her business anyway.

She was checking her photos when a fan who was in a hurry bumped into her, knocking her down to the ground, and the person didn’t even say sorry! She was checking her camera and muttering curses, still sitting on the ground when she noticed a guitar pick.

She took it from the ground and inspected it, pretty sure it wasn’t there before. The only person she could think of when she saw the guitar pick was John, so she figured she should probably return it to the guitarist. Of course, it could’ve belonged to Josh, but she’d rather not talk to him again.

She stood up and brushed off her jeans before walking to The Summer Set’s tour bus, the guitar pick in her right hand. As she walked, she tried to think of how she’d tell John. Should she say hello? Should she just give him the pick without any words?

Unfortunately, it was too late for her because before she knew it, she was already five steps away from The Summer Set’s van. She bit her lip nervously before approaching John who was talking to Joey, “Um... hi.”

“Cool, you’re coming with us after all.” She heard Godsey said.

She shook her head, “No um... someone dropped this, and I thought I’d give it back to you,” She showed John the guitar pick in her hands, all the while licking her lips nervously.

John was silent for a few seconds and Addie panicked in silently in her head, wondering if she had said something wrong. However, her worry disappeared when the guitarist laughed, “So instead of giving it to a fan, you gave it back to me?” He raised his eyebrows at her.

Addie wasn’t sure why he was laughing, so she nodded slowly. What’s so funny? She didn’t get it; she thought he’d appreciate what she did. “Keep it,” he said, closing the palm of her hand with his own, “Take it as a welcome gift.” He smiled.

She looked at her now closed hands then back at him, “Why would I?” She frowned, confused as hell. Shouldn’t he be glad that she returned the pick?

“Just in case we don’t see each other again after this tour, a token of friendship from me to you,” John replied, still a smile on his face, “You’re coming with us aren’t you? Sinclair told us everyone has to go,” he pointed out.

The girl fought the urge to sigh in frustration, going to a bar was the last thing she wanted to do, all she wanted to do was get some rest and sleep. “Fine,” the photographer said, her voice was only a whisper, she wasn’t even sure if he could hear her.

“Last one in buys the first round!” Jess shouted from the van, and everyone who’s supposed to be in The Summer Set’s van piled in; Addie unwillingly came in just before Jobe to her luck.

Jobe sat beside Addie at the back. “Seriously? It was unfair!” He protested, pouting in his seat with arms crossed in front of his chest.

“Accept your defeat, amigo, accept your defeat,” Stephen replied with a smirk on his face, looking back from a seat just two rows in front of them.

Jobe looked at Addie before smiling, “Don’t worry beautiful, I’d gladly buy you a drink,” He said. It was a pretty lame attempt to flirt with her, but it was only for fun, she’s just not worth the trouble, or at least in his opinion she wasn’t.

“Go to hell,” she muttered, turning him down. That’s the end of that conversation for sure.

As soon as they arrived at the bar, everyone got out of the van, probably too excited to drink. But Addie was pulled to the side by Marshall to her confusion, and the only thing she could do was staring up at him; scared of what he may do to her.

They exchanged looks for a second and Marshall could easily see the fright in her eyes. Of course, he didn’t mean to, but he laughed, “Don’t look at me like that, I won’t kill you.” He was still chuckling a little.

“I will scream,” she threatened, though her voice was a little shaky. She hated herself for
sounding so weak, but she had nothing to protect her; her camera’s not sharp and she’d probably hang herself if she broke her camera.

“No, I just wanted to ask if you want to go somewhere else, I overheard that you don’t like bars,” he explained his intention to her, surprised of how scared she was of what he did. Seems like this paranoia will not end soon, hopefully a month on tour will fix that.

Her mouth formed an ‘o’ and she blushed slightly, “That’s so thoughtful of you,” she mumbled, looking at her shoes. “I’ll be fine, thanks,” she politely declined his offer before walking into the bar where everyone already was.

As soon as she stepped in, she froze. She’s not used to being in a bar, and she had no idea what to do. She wondered if she should just walk to the bar and order a drink or if she should sit and wait until someone takes her order... do people even do that anymore?
She searched for Dan, but she saw he was already in a conversation with Justin Sinclair. She sighed as she bit the bottom of her lips, contemplating on what to do. Fortunately for her, Marshall saved her.

The pianist put his hands on her shoulders; startling her. She turned her head to see him and he just smiled down at her, “Follow my lead,” he told her. He guided her to the bar, “Sit,” he instructed as he did so. “You’ve never done this before have you?” He grinned at her.

Addie only shook her head in response as Marshall ordered a drink for them, that’s when she spoke up, “Um... I don’t drink,” she mumbled, trying to stop him from ordering for her.

Marshall stared at her for a few seconds before calling the bartender again, “Make that one beer, and...” He trailed off, looking at the girl beside her again as he expected her to continue his sentence.

“Mineral water, thanks,” She answered quietly as she turned on her camera; groaning when she saw the battery level. She had left her bag in The Summer Set’s tour bus, and she’s pretty sure no one would let her take that, so she’s going to have to try have a conversation with Marshall, which will be pretty hard for her.

“So how long have you been doing this?” Asked the musician, a smile on his face as he looked at him. Honestly, out of everyone else, he was the one she actually liked, she could tolerate. Of course there’s Stephen but that’s another story.

She raised her eyebrows, “Doing what?” She stupidly asked. She couldn’t quite understand his question, what did he mean by ‘this’? Photography? Not drinking?

“Taking pictures, photography.”

“Two years.”

He frowned. “Two years? I expected you to answer with at least five years,” he told her before drinking his beer, finishing half a glass in one gulp.

She shrugged, “Maybe you should stop expecting things from me, I let people down a lot,” she replied, trying to find something to keep her busy. She ended up watching John, Dave, and Joey doing things she couldn’t quite figure out. Are they mimicking Star Wars?

Marshall didn’t like how she spoke so low of herself, but judging from how stubborn she
was this morning, he was pretty sure getting into an argument with her about it will cause nothing but trouble. Instead, he changed the topic, “So have you talked to everyone?” He asked her casually.

“No, why would I?”

“Because you’re supposed to socialize?”

She shot him a look, “You’re not even my mentor,” She said before smiling politely at the bartender who gave her a bottle of water.

“You’re not anti-social Adds, you’re just scared. Sometimes you forget that you’re with a stranger, like right now.” He pointed out. He was happy that he had figured out something important about her. He was never good at psychology in high school, but he was pretty good at reading people.

She blushed; blankly looking at the bottle of water in front of her. She was a little embarrassed that he had to remind her. Maybe yes, she tend to forget that she’s with a stranger at times, and she’d start talking casually. “I’m not...” She muttered, but she never finished that sentence, she had no idea how to.

He chuckled a little, “You’re actually stubborn, snappy,” He listed down the characteristics he had picked up, “what’s the word, uptight?” He asked to no one in particular.

“Yeah right,” She couldn’t help but roll her eyes in response. She then rested her head on the wooden bar; yawning a little. She couldn’t lie, she was pretty sleepy.

“You’re doing it again,” he pointed out, just to tease her. He couldn’t quite understand but he felt like he was around a toddler somehow. It was pretty entertaining for him. “Addie, if you sleep here somebody’s probably going to roofie you and rape you, you know that?” He retorted.

His words startled her, looking around just in case there were any danger. “Seriously?”

He nodded, “Jobe probably will.” He said as a joke; trying to keep himself from laughing out loud at her expression, it was pretty hilarious. They exchanged looks for a second until he shook his head, “I’m kidding, I’m kidding,” he chuckled.

She let out a sigh of relief. She was so scared that she couldn’t be angry at him; Jobe’s not
exactly someone she could trust easily. “How long have you known them?” She changed the topic, surprising herself by starting a conversation.

He raised an eyebrow at her, “The Summer Set?” He turned his head to look at some of the members. “Pretty long, a few years or so. We know each other well so I understand if it’s not so easy for you to blend in, we have a pretty tight circle,” he answered.

“Even Dan?”

“He’s part of the family.”

She realized she was the only outsider on tour, to her distaste. Addie was always an outsider, but usually there are other people who’s just like her, at least before that person blends in and she’s left out as an outsider alone once again. “Why are you talking to me right now, then?”

Marshall shrugged, “You’re alone, and I’m not going to let you sit alone pitying yourself while everyone has some fun.” He drank his beer again.

“I’m not pitying myself.” She looked away; switching her gaze from the members of The Summer Set to her drink. She wondered if Dan was just like her at first before blending in, but Dan makes friends easily. “How well do you know them?”

He looked at her before looking at the members of The Summer Set again. “Pretty well.” He answered, and she raised an eyebrow at him as if asking him to prove it. “In general, Jobe’s the flirty one, funny, actually nice; John’s friendly, he’s someone who’s going to have your back, and he’s pretty mature; Jess is boyish, I’ve never heard her actually talk about guys but that’s probably because I’m a guy; Brian’s retarded because he uses a Blackberry... well not really, he’s pretty cool, everyone blames him but that’s just a joke so don’t take it seriously; Stephen’s more cynical, quiet, full of sarcastic comments, but he’s a good person.” He ended his explanation. “Is that well enough for you?”

She thought of another thing to ask him before landing on a question about another person, “What about Godsey?” She asked.

“Carefree, can be deep at times, he’s fun. Last time I checked he's shy to strangers but I guess it's his comfort zone” Marshall nodded before drinking his beer once again, “They all drink a lot.”

“You don’t say?” Addie retorted, scrunching her nose when she turned her head just in time to see Stephen take a swig from a bottle of whiskey.

He shrugged, “I was just pointing out,” he said. “What did you do before Motion Army?”

“I was a freelance photographer for magazines, newspapers, sometimes calendars,” She answered, “It’s better than this... people actually want their pictures to be taken, especially models.”

“Do you regret it? Being an intern in Motion Army?”

“Not until Dan brought me here.”

“You’re trying a little too hard, you know.” She heard, and she looked at him, “You’re trying too hard to not enjoy your time here, just go with the flow, it won’t make you less of a good person.”

And those words stuck in her head, it always will.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another bad chapter written by yours truly.
So I had to put this out there because mid-terms start next week and I have to study, I can't upload this on Monday. The next chapter will be out in next Sunday, I think, it depends on how I did on the tests.
Comment, subscribe, don't be a silent reader.
Love,
Dinda