The Missing Soul

Chapter 6

I sat once more at the bedside of this same girl, watching her sleep. I loved the way even when she was dreaming she still had the same expressions on her face as when she was awake. As I watched her face it began to glow. “Teresa, get in here. NOW.” I said not to loud but I knew she would hear. “What is it Jason is she o-” Teresa was standing in the doorway staring at the girl on the bed. “What’s making her glow like that?” I stood up and go to the bed. Yeah she really is glowing, WTF!!! “I’ve no idea, it just started. What could make a human glow like that?” I feel something pulling on my mind and I allow it to snake its way into my head and then I wait. When it comes I understand.
“Remember when that old vampire turned back to God and I felt it-she nods so I continue-this is so similar to that, its like her soul is brightened.” Teresa watched the girl and I felt the waves come off of her so intense it make me sick. “Jace, I know I asked you this before but what’s your gift?” I look her dead in the eye as I answer, “My gift is that I can feel you, I can feel your thoughts, your gift, your emotions. I just different with her, I can still feel her its just I feel more of her.” She looks satisfied by my answer and quickly turns back to the girl on the bed.
I look at Brittney and then I know, the reason that the princess wanted me to protect her is that she is the Lord’s vessel. I think.
The glow soften and in a matter of minutes is gone all together. I stare at her face trying to reason it all out in my head and then I just try to feel her. I can’t feel her that’s weird I just felt her a minute ago…
An hour later
She opens her eyes and then just looks into space. “Hey, good to see your awake. You gave us all a fright jumping off the bed like that.” She turns her head and looks at me as if she sees me in a new light. Once again I try to read her and once again I get nothing, I’ve spent the last hour just trying to read her and I failed every time.
“Sorry about that I didn’t mean to scare you guys. I don’t know what got into me.” she takes a minute then smiles, “Did you talk to my mom?” I take a minute and place my thoughts then I look at her and say, “Yeah, I explained it all with the help of my mom. She freaked out at first and then she was fine, I think she wants to talk to you.”
I walk to the cafeteria alone. I can’t help thinking about her smile, it reminds me of something I just can’t place it. I see the girl’s mother and quickly slide in the seat next to her. “Your daughter is awake, she wants to talk to you. She says that you shouldn’t rush, she’ll be awake when your ready to talk.” I watch the mother as she begins putting all the food back on the tray. I want to slip in her head and see what’s going on up there but I quietly resist the urge. “Let me just throw this away and then we can go see her. Is she okay?” The worry lines on her face the exact match of her daughters and I can’t help it, I smile. “She’s fine. She just wants to talk to that’s all.” I grab her trash, “I’ll throw it away, then we can head upstairs.”
I guide her to the elevators, being in this hospital with my mom for over 14 years I know which elevator is faster. “Is she mad at me?” Christina asks. “No she’s your daughter why would she be?” I study her face and watch the lines disappear. “I’m her mother yet I never acted like it.”
“Why don’t you go in and see for yourself, I think you’ll find that she isn’t mad at all.” I guide her into the room and close the door.