Sequel: Morning Light

The Cullen

So Scotland?

I left at four thirty to have dinner ready for when Charlie would get home. I was surprised to find him home early. I walked in and found the smell of pizza.

“Hey kid,” Charlie greeted me.

“Hey. I’m sorry; I didn’t realize you were getting off early,” I apologized.

“Neither did I. No need to worry. Oh hey, you have message from a friend on the counter. A girl named Katie, I think.”

I can’t believe I missed her call. Katie is my best friend back home. I wish I was here for her call. I’ll call her after I eat and shower, so that I can talk to her all night. I grabbed a plate and headed fro the living room, where the pizza was. I grabbed a piece and started chewing. The pizza was really good. Charlie had a game on. I wasn’t paying attention to it. I was just wondering what Katie had wanted to talk about. After my third piece, I excused myself and went to take a shower. As soon as I stepped in the shower, I realized I left Bella’s things in the truck. I’ll just have to get them when I get out. I combed my hair quickly and brushed my teeth.

“Where ya’ going kid?” Charlie asked, a bit worried.

“Oh, nowhere. I left some things in the car.,” I replied quickly.

“Oh.”

I ran out to my truck quickly. It was freezing outside. It gets dark quickly out here. He was there waiting by my truck.

“I was wandering when you were coming to get these,” He handed me the box.

I was shivering. My hair was still wet. I grabbed the box. “Thanks,” I said through clattering teeth.

“You’re freezing. Go inside and get warm. I’ll be up there in a little while.”

I just nodded and turned for the house. I nearly ran into the door in my hurry to get inside. Charlie looked at me funny when I stumbled through the door with a box in my hand.

“What’s that?” he asked, pointing to the box.

“Oh just some things of Bella’s that I let Edward borrow,” I said nonchalantly.

“Why did he have some of her things?” He was turning red.

“I let him borrow them. He didn’t want to forget Bella. I guess he has all the pictures memorized,” I laughed.

“Hmm.” He calmed down a little. “ Don’t forget to call Katie.”

I almost forgot about that. I ran upstairs for my cell phone. I searched for Katie’s number and pressed the green button. It rang a few times before she answered. I heard her voice on the other end yelling at her mom- something being ridiculous. I stifled a laugh.

“Hello?” she said.

“Katie!” I nearly screamed.

“Amber!” she screamed back.

“Yeah. It’s me,” I laughed.

“Oh my gosh! Why weren’t you there when I called? Why haven’t you called me?” she started complaining.

I couldn’t help but laugh. “Sorry girl.”

“This is not funny! I’m so glad to hear from you. Oh my mom and dad said hi.”

I laughed again. “Tell them hey.”

She yelled back hey to her parents. “Well? Why haven’t you called me?”

“Sorry. I have been so busy. I kind of met somebody?”

“Kind of?”

“Yeah. My cousin’s ex-fiancée,” I said feeling guilty.

“Oh. My. Gosh. Amber. How?”

“Nothing is really happening. We just hang out a lot. We’re just friends.”

“Yeah, uh huh. Sure. Well anyway, I was calling to make sure you haven’t forgotten about Scotland.”

“Oh my gosh. I have not forgotten about our summer plan. My passport should be coming in soon. I’m so excited.’

“I know me too. Hey, I have a question?”

“Shoot.”

“What happened while Aaron was up there?”

Oh great. She had to ask that question. “Well a lot actually.” I felt my English accent coming through.

Katie knew something was coming. “It must be interesting if that accent is coming through,” she laughed.

“Yeah, extremely. It went wrong from the beginning. It’s a long story.”

“I got time.”

“When Aaron arrived, Edward was there.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah. Well turns out my Uncle Charlie had planned for him to visit.”

“No!”

“Yes! Edward stayed and watch a movie with us. At this time, it was a bit awkward for the two of us.” Katie made a noise in agreement. “I still had feelings for Aaron. I mean of course I would. I didn’t know which one to sit by or lay my head on. So of course, I sat in a totally different area. Turns out, my uncle had planned for him to stay here, at the house.” Katie gasped. “I know right. Well, he took a shower here. Of course-”

“You did not walk in on him,” she gasped.

“No! Of course not! He ran into me,” I could feel that she was about to say something else. “Coming out of the bathroom, we collided. We helped each other up. It felt nice being in his arms. I saw jealousy in Edward’s eyes. Then it was Aaron’s turn to feel jealous. He saw Edward and I hugging in the kitchen.”

“Ouch.”

I laughed. “Well, that night. Yeah. No details required right?”

“You and Aaron or …”

“Aaron and I. Geez. The next day, I fell down the entire flight of stairs. I broke my leg and wrist. I banged my head pretty hard also.”

“Oh my gosh! Are you ok?” Katie gasped.

“Yeah. All healed. Aaron left early. He was getting annoyed with Edward. He was beaten by Edward every time I needed help. Now I tend to hang out with him and his sister Alice. All is good. School is great.”

“Well that is good.”

“Yeah. How is your life going girl?”

She was about to answer when I heard a faint knock at my window; it was Edward. He was smiling. I smiled back.

“Hey girl, someone just knocked. I have to go. I’ll talk to you tomorrow, I promise. Okay?” I said hurriedly.

“Yeah girl, that’s fine. Good night,” she answered.

“Good night.”

“Scotland?” he asked as I opened the window. He leaped in gracefully.

“Yeah. Why? Were you listening to the entire conversation?”

“Maybe,” he smiled.

I couldn’t resist a smile. “Do you have any objections to me going to Scotland with Katie?”

“It is only you two going?”

“Yep. Why?”

“A trip to Scotland would be nice.”

“Oh, come on! You don’t trust me to go with a friend?”

“You might die tripping over a piece of grass,” he laughed.

“Ha ha ha.” The I laughed a real laugh.

“So you met someone kind of?” he asked.

I faked a yawn. “I’m really tired. I’m going to go to sleep.”

“Oh no. So who is he?”

“Unlike you, I’m human. I need to sleep,” I replied in pretend grogginess.

“Ok. You want to know something?”

“Hmm,” I said, not faking being tired now.

“I met somebody too.”

I smiled and looked at him. “Oh really.”

“Yeah,” he said, leaning down. He gently pressed his lips to mine. It was a short kiss, but it was a perfect one. I fell asleep in his arms. He started humming that familiar song again. In no time I was out.