Sequel: Morning Light

The Cullen

Remembrance

The weeks passed slowly. All that I had to keep preoccupied was school, my father, and the rest of the Cullen family. My father decided to stay and get to know me. He bought a little house out here in Forks. The meeting between him and Charlie was an eventful one.

I never mentioned to Charlie about my real father. I would always go over there though. After school or homework, that was where I could be found. Charlie thought I found a boy at school, not a long lost father.

“I’m going by William’s,” I would yell.

“Okay, kid. Be careful,” is what my uncle would tell me. He thought William was some kid at school. I guess when I brought William home and introduced him as William, not my father, Charlie got confused.

Charlie came home early that day. It was about a month after William arrived. I did not check to make sure his gun was up; it hadn’t made it there yet.

“Uncle Charlie, this is William,” I introduced.

Charlie’s face might as well been a tomato for his face was that red. “What?!” he yelled and had his gun out in no time. Charlie thought I went mad when Edward left and I brought home an older, mysterious guy. “You sick bas-”

“William is my father!” I shouted hurriedly.

This definitely caught Charlie off guard. This man who I said was my father looked like he could my older brother. “Wha-?” is all Charlie could get out. My poor uncle could not even say the entire word.

“It is a very long story that I do not care to explain. He arrived in early March. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you; I didn’t know how.”

Charlie’s face was now a light pink. He realized he still had his gun pointed towards William and slowly replaced it in its holster. “Oh, I understand. You would rather live with you father. I could see how that could be difficult.”

I looked at my uncle dumbfounded. How could he get that from anything? “No, not at all.”

Charlie’s face became its natural color. “Oh.” He straightened out and took a seat on the couch.”

The rest of that evening went some what smooth. It got rough again when he mentioned that my mother cheated with him when she was married. My father, well the one that raised me, and Charlie were good friends before my aunt and him got a divorce. William left soon after that conversation. It was starting to get tensed again.

After he left, I headed upstairs. I guess Uncle Charlie had enough news for one night that he did not stop to probe me about my father. I decided it was time to do some research on humans having vampire babies. I did not want to admit that subconsciously part of me was a vampire, and that signs were getting more noticeable day by day. I found the same things that William and Carlisle did. It was virtually impossible but does happen. In the very cases listed, all the mothers died while giving birth to their baby. I thought of how my mother could have survived this. The illustration given of a newborn coming from its mother was ghastly. I turned off the old dinosaur- my computer- and tried to forget the image. I could not forget this horrifying image; it haunted my unpleasant dreams.

Ever since that night, it was inevitable to deny what I was. Since I truly gave in to the fact that I was half vampire, I became more like one. It was if it had been lying dormant until I embraced it. I became almost as strong as Emmett. I almost had him one night in a wrestling match, but then he cheated. He threw a rock at my head. I even became as fast as them. I was a blur in the wind. No, I wasn’t even a blur. I got disgusted with myself when I got those seldom cravings for blood. When I did get these occasional urges, I went with Alice for a “camping” trip; at least that’s what I would tell Charlie. I even discovered my power, in theory anyway. My theory was that I could repel any power trying to be used on me. Like Jasper’s ability, when he tries to calm me, it does not work. Instead of myself feeling happy, he would start feeling happy. Jasper would get aggravated with it. I could not test it very much because Alice was the only other one with an ability. What was I going to do? Throw her vision back at her? Make her see it twice? Oooo. I couldn’t even see her visions. Carlisle had another theory but would not tell me.

I realized I craved blood more when I was stressed, and lately I have been very stressed. It was the end of the school year. There were finals, graduation, and college. Friday nights I would sleep over by Alice or sometimes, even my father’s, to hunt for a little bit. I was wishing I did not need to sleep, so I could have more time to study, make decisions, and write my speech. Yes, I had to write a speech. Somehow my brilliant mind became valedictorian during the school year. I could not wait until the summer.

It was the day before graduation, and I was with Alice and Rosalie. They were trying to make me happy about graduating. They were failing miserably. As a last resort, they brought Jasper in. I wanted to feel something besides anxiousness, so I let Jasper befuddle my feelings. He was shocked when it worked.

“I’m letting you,” I answered his look.

“Are you sure you can’t read minds too?” he asked sourly.

I laughed. Then I started to snort. I was happy, without his help, with this little accusation.

“Jaz, maybe you should tune it down,” Alice whispered.

“I’m not doing anything.”

“I think she’s delirious,” Rosalie said as she waved a hand in front of my face.

This made me laugh anymore. “ I guess the tiniest thing can set me off right now,” I managed to say through chuckles. Usually the tiniest thing made me upset.

“I’ll take it,” Alice said.

We talked about graduation tomorrow with a heightened mood. We talked about how we’ll miss each other while I’m in Scotland. They teased me that Katie is going to get me upset, and I’m going to bite her head off, literally. I hadn’t told them which college I had chosen to go to yet. Of course this question popped up during the conversation. Rosalie had asked.

“Umm… actually I decided on Cornell,” I answered hesitantly.

“That’s so far away though,” Alice complained.

“You can come visit. It’s in Ithaca, New York.”

“ I know, but I don’t like it.”

“I’m sorry.” Tiredness his me like an eighteen wheeler. Actually, I think I could take on an eighteen wheeler. “I’m going to sleep.” I walked upstairs to one of the many spare rooms that they made mine. My room was next to Edward’s. Like always, I stopped in his room. I looked for any sign that might reveal that he had been here. All I could do was wish. Even my dreams knew it was idiotic and hopeless to think Edward would return.

I woke up in Edward’s room. Odd. I must have fallen asleep on the couch when I sat down on it. I scratched my head and looked at the time. It was ten thirty, and graduation was for twelve. I can’t believe Alice let me sleep this late. I got up and ran to my bathroom. I tripped on something placed in my doorway. It was a graduation present from everyone. I didn’t have time to open. I rushed through getting ready.

I tried to brush my teeth and straighten my hair at the same time. At one point, I started to straighten myy teeth and brush my hair with my toothbrush. I almost went to graduation with a messy bun in my hair. Alice walked in as I decided to do that.

“You’re a mess,” she chuckled.

“I know. Someone let me sleep late,” I said glaring at her.

“No, I didn’t. Your alarm went off, and I heard you turn it off.”

“No, I woke up in Edward’s room this morning at ten thirty.”

“How did you wind up there?”

“I think I accidentally fell asleep in there last night.”

“Oh doing your usual check?”

“Yeah. Who turned off my alarm?”

“Maybe one of the others did. They saw that you were not here and thought you were already up.”

“I guess,” I shrugged. Wouldn’t one of them have seen me in Edward’s room though? Oh well.

I let Alice take over my hair, make up, and outfit. I sat their aimlessly. I thought about the past year. So much has past, yet there is so much more still to come. I thought about my first day of kindergarten to last day of high school. I thought about my normal childhood to my life as a vampire’s daughter. I thought of my happiness to the glum that haunts my life now. At that moment I got glimpse of the future. Alice and I shared a look of excitement. Suddenly, I could not wait until the summer.